Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Brighton Have Only Got One Pace, They're Easy To Play Against"

D

Deleted member 18477

It's ok playing it slow around the back 4 and into Bridcutt/Navs but we need to quicken the pace when we get into attacking areas.

this. i know they're head and shoulders above the rest but barcelona move that damn ball bloody quickly in the last third. and pace equals fear for defenders (unless its walcott, as they know the ball is going out of play).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know we were playing against some excellent players who are all internationals, but I would have hoped that Gus and the backroom team would take something away from the way their box to box play ripped us apart.

Our defensive midfielders are just that...and good at it, navarro and bridcutt. But as we saw yesterday, when liverpool passed the ball out of defence, the option of passing it backwards from the midfielders to the defenders was the option of LAST RESORT, not the norm. With us it has worked in the division we are in, but coming up against far superior teams ( Stoke was a great example last year) they twig this withing 5 minutes and just push up on us. In the second half, how many times were we forced to hoof the ball away when we were getting pushed further and further back towards brez?

I assume this is why Gus has brought in Razzak and the Isreali guy and they are both attacking midfielders who want to come forward and take the game to the opposition.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Swansea play the same way as us but at amuch higher tempo ,but they seem to have a more settled side we have had alot of injuries suspentions ect so I think it has hamperd us slightly in moving on to the next level . Remember we have had alot of new players in this season and I dont think Gus knows his strongest line up yet to get our style of play at a higher tempo .It will take years to drill in to the youth teams coming through as they are started at 6 or 7 at BARCA AND the whole coaching staff from top to bottom have to buy in on Gus,s big plan ,Im sure hes aware of the shortfall but if Swansea can do it ,and they are not exactly made up of household names then so can we .

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Saying that we are one-paced is fair comment. However, I believe Gus recognises this, which is why he's brought in Razak, Assulin and JFC as alternatives.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think if LuaLua, Buckley and Vicente had been fit all season we'd have seen the ball move forwad faster. With the options we've had, we seem to have done all right in the league - and beaten Sunderland and Newcastle along the way ....

Oct 25, 2003
i bet:

Doncaster Rovers
Gillingham
Portsmouth
Cardiff City
Sunderland
Peterborough United
Bristol City
Leeds United
Barnsley
Coventry City
Derby County
Nottingham Forest
Southampton
Newcastle United
Leicester City

all found us an absolute piece of piss to play against when we beat them

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We rarely stretched Liverpool and too often they had 8 men behind the ball, restricting us to 3 shots on target.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Saying that we are one-paced is fair comment. However, I believe Gus recognises this, which is why he's brought in Razak, Assulin and JFC as alternatives.

We should not confused "one pace" with "one style". We DO have one style. That will NEVER change while Gus is here. I'm sure he is wanting the pace of that style to slowly improve. I believe it will as he brings the best out of his current squad and brings in more and more higher quality players.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
i bet:

Doncaster Rovers
Gillingham
Portsmouth
Cardiff City
Sunderland
Peterborough United
Bristol City
Leeds United
Barnsley
Coventry City
Derby County
Nottingham Forest
Southampton
Newcastle United
Leicester City

all found us an absolute piece of piss to play against when we beat them
Good post. Not seen that list before but it should make regular appearances as an antidote to the negative crap often spouted by the vocal minority on here.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The pace picks up as you add better quality players who do not need the extra touch and awareness to control and move the ball. That is the difference between a competitive championship side (us) and a league winning/competitive prem side

No need to panic and start questioning our style or gus philosophy. Nobody knows what we need more than gus and I am sure come the first kick of next season he will have addressed our weaknesses

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here