Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton fans - I'm starting to hate them

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
mate that's just nonsense. are you suggested that Chelsea, a club in one of the wealthiest parts of london, have never attracted fans from across the wealth divide... that throughout the 60s and 70s chelsea fans were all 'local working class' and so therefore got behind the team without making daft songs?

oh and what's this love in with leeds fans all of a sudden, a set of fans who just three weeks back were singing songs glorifying the munich air disaster. classy.

Weirdly agreeing with Bushy Chelsea's hardcore fanbase tend to come from Wandsworth. I've only recently moved into the area from Clapham and where it differs from the former is you tend to meet older people who have lived in the area for years. Clapham is far more "passing through" these days.

Did used to speak to some long time working class born and bred Clapham locals in my local pub but they had long been priced out of going to Chelsea on a regular basis and that was over ten years ago.

I know a local builder who is fortunate enough to have a season ticket and has been going for years. Born around the Garrett Lane area which is pure Chelsea and always has been.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
All I can say, is that the behaviour of some of our so called "fans" in that pub near HMS Belfast yesterday afternoon was just an absolute disgrace. My mate who was with me brushed it off saying it's to be expected but I could not disagree more! Is it acceptable to make derogatory comments towards women walking past, effing and blinding at tourists etc? Thankfully, they were not wearing colours and therefore not in anyway associated with our club. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having a beer and s bloody good laugh but this was embarrassing! Times are changing I guess, it won't stop me following the Albion however!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
got to agree with you keyser , some people say give them a chance their trying to liven things up , the only thing livening up seems to be the hostility towards them , maybe i'm biased ?

Glad you two agree. It means the rest of us are decent people. Nauseating enough knowing we reside on the same planet let alone support the same team with your constant bitching about fans trying to back the team.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
It is, definitely. There were a load of kids behind my last night all baiting Millwall in the walkway, and then I heard one of them say "Shit, are the police letting us mix with them when we go into the queue there?" Cue much pant-shitting and silence. Truly embarrassing. Either keep singing and baiting them when you walk into them and be prepared to take whatever happens, or shut the f*** up and show some respect.

I actually saw three kids who were singing West Ham songs in the queue actually hiding behind two WPC's on the platform, while ONE 5 foot 6 skinny Millwall fan (who was carrying a manbag) was saying "You're very quiet now, aren't you, you give it all the mouth in the queue and now you're here with us you hide behind the old bill". I felt like picking the three kids up and handing them over to him.

Embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing.

spot on

Lush

Mods' Pet
It was a good turnout last night and should have been a win for the Albion but I totally agree with the OP - we have a load of chavvy Oicks following us these days who can't hold their beer, don't know the words to GOSBTS, dont have an ounce of wit to come up with something original of their own, think its big to abuse not only their counterparts but also families, chuck bottles at our own fans and too quickly turn on our own players rather than show some class, dig deep and show what true fans are made of.....a bit more support for their team from them last night and we might have had a better result.

Maybe we need a new acronym - J-CALs. Johnny Come Away Latelys

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Cannot put into words my agreement with the original poster.

Our fans are now RUINING away games for me, whereas they used to do quite the opposite.

There's too many absolute knobs going. If it's not the chavs/dicks (everywhere is a shithole, I wanna go home) it's the simpleton goons (singing we are the north stand - at an away game). Most of them have never played a game of football at any level in their life. As an example, Some of the cretins last night ripping into LuaLua because he was unable to control two woeful passes at his neck were unbelievable. They don't even have a basic understanding of the game.

It used to be fun watching the Albion away even if we lost, because the atmosphere was electric and there was still an element of 'banter'. Now, some absolute cocks have made it their mission to be the ones starting new songs left, right and centre. Problem is, they've got about 1 braincell between them, they're too simple to notice that everyone around them thinks what they are singing is shit. Take the new 'palace' song for example, how did they not realise people would object? They are clueless. Singing Casper Ankergren solidly for 45 minutes? No, it's not funny, it's quite boring, but the 10 mates all found it hilarious. No surprise to see they were stood in front of an 'ultras' flag. And don't even get me started on that magiko rubbish, I've done that to death. Then there's the fanzine mob singing their drivel about "Calde" as if it's a proper player song. No, a player song is "Oh Gary Hart", one that thousands can join in with. Not some SHIT about a players nickname and the 'scum' from St Marys (what?). 2 years later, no more than 20 people join in with this crap. But still they keep singing it.

I have no objection to an increased range of chants. I have no objection to flags. And I have no objection to attempts to ramp up an atmosphere (hell, I love Richard reynolds!!) But I do object to people being so stubborn that they insist on enforcing their wanky songs on everyone else purely because a few of their mates like them, and refuse to accept that others don't, even when the overwhelming evidence (hardly anyone else joining ing) suggests this.

The problem is, small groups/clique's aren't going to be able to get everyone going, because their are too many different mindsets. Some people want to be effing and blinding every few minutes, others want to be singing about "calde", "kaz" "cms" and "bha". Look at the divides already, the debates about the NSK, it's not natural for a 'united' crowd to be so split. What's the solution? Some sort of middleground compromise, which you would think should suit a majority of supporters. How to get that going though? God knows. But I hope it does sooner or later, as it's taking half the fun out of football.

Thank god the new stadium is, at the moment at least, making up for it.

Best not do any more awaydays then I guess?

Sent from my wardrobe whilst watching Susannah Reid and Sian Williams enjoy a clam sandwich.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I dont agree with what the OP says but he has touched on something given the responses.

I do agree 100% with what the Millwall fan sadi and would add that thanks to Thatcher a lot of Working class became upwardly mobile and more middle class. Brighton is very middle class, so it follows that the support would go that way demographicly. Proof is all the threads bitching and crying over petty crap on here.

Its easier for middle class types to see footballing dreams as expectations and not realise the difference. They are more prone to be individualistic and clique driven.

Most people of more earthy existance would tell these people to f*** right off or ignore them.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I wasn't at Millwall last night but I find at London and surrounding area away matches it is often the heavily inebriated middle aged fans who are the biggest pains in the arse.

Also, I think you will find most other teams have six songs they regularly sing at most.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Cannot put into words my agreement with the original poster.

Our fans are now RUINING away games for me, whereas they used to do quite the opposite.

There's too many absolute knobs going. If it's not the chavs/dicks (everywhere is a shithole, I wanna go home) it's the simpleton goons (singing we are the north stand - at an away game). Most of them have never played a game of football at any level in their life. As an example, Some of the cretins last night ripping into LuaLua because he was unable to control two woeful passes at his neck were unbelievable. They don't even have a basic understanding of the game.

It used to be fun watching the Albion away even if we lost, because the atmosphere was electric and there was still an element of 'banter'. Now, some absolute cocks have made it their mission to be the ones starting new songs left, right and centre. Problem is, they've got about 1 braincell between them, they're too simple to notice that everyone around them thinks what they are singing is shit. Take the new 'palace' song for example, how did they not realise people would object? They are clueless. Singing Casper Ankergren solidly for 45 minutes? No, it's not funny, it's quite boring, but the 10 mates all found it hilarious. No surprise to see they were stood in front of an 'ultras' flag. And don't even get me started on that magiko rubbish, I've done that to death. Then there's the fanzine mob singing their drivel about "Calde" as if it's a proper player song. No, a player song is "Oh Gary Hart", one that thousands can join in with. Not some SHIT about a players nickname and the 'scum' from St Marys (what?). 2 years later, no more than 20 people join in with this crap. But still they keep singing it.

I have no objection to an increased range of chants. I have no objection to flags. And I have no objection to attempts to ramp up an atmosphere (hell, I love Richard reynolds!!) But I do object to people being so stubborn that they insist on enforcing their wanky songs on everyone else purely because a few of their mates like them, and refuse to accept that others don't, even when the overwhelming evidence (hardly anyone else joining ing) suggests this.

The problem is, small groups/clique's aren't going to be able to get everyone going, because their are too many different mindsets. Some people want to be effing and blinding every few minutes, others want to be singing about "calde", "kaz" "cms" and "bha". Look at the divides already, the debates about the NSK, it's not natural for a 'united' crowd to be so split. What's the solution? Some sort of middleground compromise, which you would think should suit a majority of supporters. How to get that going though? God knows. But I hope it does sooner or later, as it's taking half the fun out of football.

Thank god the new stadium is, at the moment at least, making up for it.

I challenge anyone to write an articulate response to this, nothing to disagree with.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I challenge anyone to write an articulate response to this, nothing to disagree with.

erm... because this debate has NOTHING to do with the NSK - we're talking about the number of numpties who appear at local away fixtures, who spend 90 mins singing silly songs about the opposition fans/town/stewards etc etc rather than backing the team. and how this then affects the general atmosphere of the away end.

the NSK are one of the solutions to this problem, as they are there to back to team.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Weirdly agreeing with Bushy Chelsea's hardcore fanbase tend to come from Wandsworth. I've only recently moved into the area from Clapham and where it differs from the former is you tend to meet older people who have lived in the area for years. Clapham is far more "passing through" these days.

Did used to speak to some long time working class born and bred Clapham locals in my local pub but they had long been priced out of going to Chelsea on a regular basis and that was over ten years ago.

I know a local builder who is fortunate enough to have a season ticket and has been going for years. Born around the Garrett Lane area which is pure Chelsea and always has been.
he was probably born in st georges, same as me which is just off garratt lane.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wimbledon , or south wimbledon/colliers wood? lol!
Wimbledon. I lived on Worple Road, then the bottom of the high street (so actually South Wimbledon tube slightly closer than the main line), and then moved towards Wimbledon Park.

Incidentally, South Wimbledon isn't really much like Colliers Wood these days. It sort of changed about a decade ago and became a bit more gentrified.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Wimbledon. I lived on Worple Road, then the bottom of the high street (so actually South Wimbledon tube slightly closer than the main line), and then moved towards Wimbledon Park.

Incidentally, South Wimbledon isn't really much like Colliers Wood these days. It sort of changed about a decade ago and became a bit more gentrified.
A bit of a pain in the arse schlep to get to brighton as well?

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Listened to the Millwall game on the radio, thought I heard us singing the Magiko song,did we try it and if so did it work ?:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here