Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton defender Tommy Elphick fights for new contract

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Good player. Maybe more squad now than starting line up but more than adequate to come in if required. Interesting views that he would go if a club who doubled his wages or were in a higher division, the latter there will be us next season hopefully.

Stay on & fight Tommy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All pretty fair, unfortunately I think hes living on another planet if he thinks a club from a division up will come in for him, likewise doubling his wages...

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
In a day in age where money talks and loyalty is a taboo subject I think someone who is willing to stay at a club and WANTS to stay at a club should be given props for it. Although the feel good feeling ends suddenly with the "wouldnt rule out a move" comment. Not seen the lad play but I know he was doing some good things on the pitch from what ive been told. Get him signed up Gus.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the comment about a club in a higher division or wages was just a comment that it would have to be a very good offer to make him want to leave in much the same way that Gus has mad comments about his future and moving on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think the comment about a club in a higher division or wages was just a comment that it would have to be a very good offer to make him want to leave in much the same way that Gus has mad comments about his future and moving on.

For once BG, I agree with you. Spot on.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Playing at a higher level and / or doubling your wages = promotion - and who wouldn't take a promotion if it was offered? Hope he stays though - quite happy with Tommy around for when Greer and El Abd pick up knocks and / or suspensions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are likely to need him at some stage over the rest of the season so it's good to see his attitude appears right and that he knows he's at a good club and is in no rush to move.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I get the impression that Gus likes him and wants him around. Not that i have spoken to Gus on the subject - just from his comments in interviews etc.

He will be needed at somepoint this season, and would slot into the team without too many problems.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Will become more & more of a squad player as the seasons go by if he stays.
Lewis Dunk is bursting with potential & already breathing down his neck & if we get promoted i'd think we might look at bringing in another experienced head at the back.

I think he was okay under Wilkins and deservedly made the first team - but didn't improve much.
He's raised his game a little under Gus, but it's not going to be enough to make the Championship grade.

I expect he'll stay in this league, once we go up - or else he'll go to Eastbourne or Crawley

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Always thought Tommy was made a bit of a scapegoat after the Bournemouth game. We were top of the league and he and El abd were doing little wrong. However Greer is a class act and club captain and has done nothing wrong either. If Gus did not want Tommy around then I would have thought he would have gone this window. He is top class cover for the centre halfs and im sure his time will come round again. I would be dissapointed in him if he was happy at being left out, hang in there Tommy, you could yet have a big part to play this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. He is top class cover for the centre halfs and im sure his time will come round again. I would be dissapointed in him if he was happy at being left out, hang in there Tommy, you could yet have a big part to play this season.

Indeed. Any decent squad needs a MINIMUM of three, and preferably four centre backs. He'll get his chance. El Abd is on 8 bookings for a start.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Definitely want to keep hold of him. Elphick and Dunk are great centre backs to be able to call upon if Greer/El-abd get injured or sent off.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Always thought Tommy was made a bit of a scapegoat after the Bournemouth game. We were top of the league and he and El abd were doing little wrong. However Greer is a class act and club captain and has done nothing wrong either. If Gus did not want Tommy around then I would have thought he would have gone this window. He is top class cover for the centre halfs and im sure his time will come round again. I would be dissapointed in him if he was happy at being left out, hang in there Tommy, you could yet have a big part to play this season.

yes very unlucky still could play a big part this season

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think he is at least as good a player as Greer, just Greer has leadership and experience too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think he is at least as good a player as Greer, just Greer has leadership and experience too.

I dont agree with that as I think Greer is far superior in the way Gus wants us to play. In his own stopper centre half way he is probably as good but not as Gus plays it. Having said that I want him to stay because we will need him when suspensions and injuries come in, probably in the last 6 - 8 weeks of the season and he would be an excellent back up when needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here