Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton defender Tommy Elphick fights for new contract

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Greer is incredible. Anybody saying Elphick is even close to him is a lunatic.

I admire the attitude from Elphick but sadly I think it's a case of close but not quite good enough. Not for where we're going anyway. He's a decent League 1 defender for a team with not much intention of playing sexy football.
You said the same about Crofts who is taking playing Championship football by storm with Norwich,Not to mention playing for Wales.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Like the lad but wouldn't be a shame to see him go.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I'm pretty sure I never said any of that about Crofts. Still, carry on...
You never rated him,goes missing and wouldn't cut it a div higher i seem to recall.You said you would even drive him there.

Elphick still has a future here i believe and has age on his side over Greer. I think Tommo is a good solid defender who will only get better from this experience of being dropped.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
That's more like it! I certainly never said Crofts was good but not quite good enough or words to that effect. Total toilet to be honest with you, all masked by the fact he can score.

The problem Elphick has got is Greer is here for three years, is the captain and is (I think) 29 years old. He's also a big money signing by our standards. He won't be going anywhere for a long time. Next to him you've got El Abd who is another one I never rated but you have to admit he's been absolutely magnificent for the last year. Unless Elphick is happy to sit on our bench and play the occasional game rather than sign for Brentford or Bournemouth etc, I don't see he's got a future to be honest. He's just not up to the level of the other two.

Once again trying to act all hard behind your words little boy

Try reading this

Crofts has gone

You want me to keep looking for other shit you spouted?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I expect he'll stay in this league, once we go up - or else he'll go to Eastbourne or Crawley

Ridiculous statement. He is far, FAR too good for either of those. He can consider himself unfortunate to have lost his place as he'd done very little wrong up to Charlton when Greer came in for him. Just look at how comfortably he slotted straight back in against Pompey. Elphick is fantastic cover for El Abd and Greer (who are obviously undroppable), and I think he could also do it for us in the Championship.

No great loss - if he doesn't like it then he can f*** off.

Yeah nice one. Local lad who has come through the ranks and served this club VERY well. He's not thrown his toys out of the pram after being dropped, he's getting his head down and making sure he's ready when called upon and trying to fight his way back into the team. In other words, he's doing EVERYTHING you'd want from a young pro at the club.

But f*** him eh.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What are you talking about you headcase? I've just said I was far more harsh about him than you suggested in your first post above. I can't be bothered to read the thread you quoted, but I see my first post in it was a statement that we will do better. We HAVE done better, so therefore I was right.

If you have 1 minute read post 80 from me on that Thread. Goes to show what you know about Crofts and my views on him.

You are writing off Elphick just like Crofts.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
That's more like it! I certainly never said Crofts was good but not quite good enough or words to that effect. Total toilet to be honest with you, all masked by the fact he can score.

The problem Elphick has got is Greer is here for three years, is the captain and is (I think) 29 years old. He's also a big money signing by our standards. He won't be going anywhere for a long time. Next to him you've got El Abd who is another one I never rated but you have to admit he's been absolutely magnificent for the last year. Unless Elphick is happy to sit on our bench and play the occasional game rather than sign for Brentford or Bournemouth etc, I don't see he's got a future to be honest. He's just not up to the level of the other two.

To be fair, if he was upto the standard of the other two, then he would be in the side. How many people honestly thought at the start of the season, it would be El Abd that would partner Greer in the centre of defence. Not only partner him but be odds on for player of the year, if there was a book on that at the start of the season, El Abd would have been 100/1..Tommy is good cover for this season and should stay for now, as for next year you can bet your bottom dollar that Gus will sign another top class centre half in the summer, for the step up. Queue people saying Greer and El Abd will be good enough for Championship strikers, week in week out.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I quite agree with you. The doubt I have is how long does Elphick want to sit on our bench. Being "good cover" won't keep you happy for too long surely?

Elphick could do a job in the Championship but not with us i feel.I agree Gus will bring in a new CB.Infact i reckon we will have a new spine to the team..

Elphick won't be here just to sit on the bench so i very much doubt he will be a Brighton player for the new season.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Tommy wants to stay, I'd be delighted to keep him. If Greer or El Abd are injured/suspended, he is more than an able substitute to come on!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not understand all the people saying Gus will bring in another centre back if we are promoted, why as he speaks highly of both Greer and El Abd and has Elphick and Dunk as back up who he also speaks well of.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I do not understand all the people saying Gus will bring in another centre back if we are promoted, why as he speaks highly of both Greer and El Abd and has Elphick and Dunk as back up who he also speaks well of.

Because however fantastic we have been this season and we have been fantastic. Imho the current side would stay up in the championship, no problem. Staying up will not be in Poyets or Blooms thought though. Going up again will be, this may be aiming high but trust me it will be the aim and that will require I would imagine, at least four top end players right though the spine of the team. Greer and El Abd may well be good enough, but Dunk is not even making the bench regular and Elphick has already been done to death on here. Gus will want stronger competition for that position and that will mean signing a centre half and it wont be one worse than we already have.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I can fully understand your thinking but do not believe it will be a priority in the summer.

Priority will be a striker(or two), no doubt about that. It would be interesting to see just where people think we would need strenghtening. As all eleven are heros at the moment, wherever people say, others will disagree.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Think he's a great L1 CB. In the Championship we will have Greer plus maybe a new signing. Throw in that in 18 months time Dunk could very well be up there competing for first team at that level, I feel that will be the time Elphick and or El-Abd will be considering their futures seriously. Give us a good year as a squad player, see if you shine in training and then at least one will go to a top half L1 club or get a chance in a low Champ team. Hopefully we will be mid table and on the up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here