Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Cheers 'm'lud. Exactly as I thought :clap:

Perhaps this could be more clearly put, not only to the public but also to the drivers.

I have 3 g'children who live in Worthing but will come to visit. All our under 14 yet, without bus ID we have to pay something like 85p per journey.

I thought the whole idea of ID was to stop those oiks from 16-20 claiminmg half fair, especially when returing from a night on the booze. I can see no reason for ID for those under 14 (14-16 only to proove that they are entitled to child fair) and this must have an impact in a holiday City where visitors will not be getting their kids ID passes, especially as, i understand, they need to be stamped by the schools.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
... and I'm still struggling with mendoza's plan to improve the bus service between Lewes and Brighton.

Buses turn up rammed with passengers and there are loads more waiting at all the bus stops. And mendoza suggests that they REDUCE the service from 4 an hour to 3 an hour.

How will that help him get a seat?

I meant by reducing the service from 4 an hour to 3 it will work. Because the service is so poor at the moment, a bus comes every 30/40 minutes instead of every 15.

Because a bus doesnt turn up, there is twice as many people waiting at every bus stop.

I am saying that if the company know they cannot provide 4 buses an hour why schedule them. If they schedule 3 and 3 turned up, then the buses wouldnt be packed.

4 are scheduled and only 2 turn up, means more people everywhere, that is all:)

even more brilliantly, the prices are going up according to the Argus billboards :laugh:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I Doubt It. You've Been Predicting It For Months.

BJ's been in the job since, oh, May 4th. That's about two weeks, for the hard of comprehension. Doubt he's even managed to find his office yet, let alone had time to screw up one of the world's major cities. Soon come.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Reverting to Ken Livingstone ...

I wonder whether Boris will carry out his pledge to abolish free travel for kids on London's buses. I also whether anyone noticed that Boris had actually promised to do this.

Who knows.. The fact they need a photocard from next month, which is the sort of thing the Tories were asking for, might stop him.

Aside from technical arguments for/against, I saw one of the WEAKEST arguments against it from a Tory assembly member in about February..

He said, that by offering kids free bus travel, Ken was trying his hand at social engineering...

Well, left or right, I'm sure you can agree that giving kids under 16 free bus travel is hardly equal to creating a classless society!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You'll be the first to bleat when the tubes stop running.

I cant wait for his attempt at negotiating the strike-free union deal he claims he will achieve.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
My favourite is the 28/29 coming back into Brighton, never turns up within 10minutes of being on time :thumbsup:

I get the 29 to head back home to Crowborough once in a while, and it's better than it's ever been in my opinion. Quicker and cheaper than it used to be - plus always been spot on time wise in my experience?..

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
The flat fare for an accompanied child is 20 pence at all times. Unaccompanied children travel for 50p in the evenings and at weekends (and all day in school holidays). Kids aged under 14 don't need a Bus ID card to get child fares, so Gary Leeds was misinformed by the driver and should complain to the bus company.

This is the information from the bus company's website:-

Bus ID

A Free Identity Card for all Under 16's (Valid up to 31 August after 16th birthday)

This allows reduced fares and great travel offers on all Brighton & Hove bus services. BusID cards are issued free and are obtainable upon completion of an application form verified by your school. If you are aged 14, 15 and 16 you must have a Bus ID card to travel at child rate fares up to 6pm on school days.

Great bargains for all Bus ID card holders whatever the age include travel for just 20p at all times with an accompanying fare paying adult (up to 3 per adult).

After 6pm on schooldays and anytime at weekends and during specified school holidays (current dates for 2008 are 7-18 April, 27-30 May, 24 July - 3 September), Bus ID card holders can travel for just 50p per single journey when travelling alone.

Bus ID application forms available from Schools or 1 Stop Travel Offices. A pdf version of the form is available to download and print out from http://www.buses.co.uk

LB, I think you will find the reference to the 14,15,and 16 year olds goes back to the old Brighton Area Transport agreement between Brighton Corporation and Southdown where anyone over 14 had to pay full fare and when Bus ID was introduced they allowed 14,15 and 16 year olds to also get the child fare. I have tried every time I go down once a month to get a half fare and have never succeeded. But just to confirm it I will fire an email off to B&H to clarify the situation and let you know their reply.

Also getting back on subject I beleive the strike is only being called by the GMB union, who coincidently were the only 1 of 3 unions in Leeds to reject the pay rises here which resulted in 3 weeks of no bin collections on a Thursday only. Most residents in Leeds did not even know there was a strike as they were not affected. If GMB had thought about it and called the strike on 3 different days on different weeks then half of Leeds would have known about it and we would not have had rubbish piling up for 3 weeks. Also, unless things have changed in the last 10 years I beleive only Lewes Road garage (the ex Brighton Buses depot) are covered by GMB while Conway Street and Whitehawk are Transport and General Workers union so they strike may not affect them

LB, I think you will find the reference to the 14,15, and 16 year olds goes back to the old Brighton Area Transport agreement between Brighton Corporation and Southdown where anyone over 14 had to pay full fare and when Bus ID was introduced they allowed 14,15 and 16 year olds to also get the child fare.
My recollection of the BATS Agreement (after the 1968 nationalisation of BH&D and Southdown) was that fares conditions could be varied by agreement between the NBC companies and Brighton Borough Council. There was a reluctance to move the age limit upwards - fuelled significantly by East Sussex County Council's post-1974 role as the provider of network subsidies and its acquired right to object to fares changes, which had to be approved by the Traffic Commissioner, until 1981 at least.

Since the BATS Agreement came to an end in 1986, it's difficult to justify any current arrangement as being a throw-back to those days. From memory, child fares for 14, 15 and 16 year olds have now been in place for decades. The Bus ID scheme is justified simply by the fact that kids of that age are not always obviously under 16. I knew a lad who used to keep the Bus ID pass that proved he was under 16 in the same wallet that he kept the ID that proved he was old enough to buy drinks in pubs.

Bus ID+ (for students over the age of 16) is simply a marketing device designed to encourage young people to use buses.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I get the 29 to head back home to Crowborough once in a while, and it's better than it's ever been in my opinion. Quicker and cheaper than it used to be - plus always been spot on time wise in my experience?..

the one going out from Brighton normally seems to be reasonable with timings, that what makes it more depressing going back towards Brighton. Standing at the bus stop watching a normal service running the other way, which there is yet another delay on the service on the journey home.

finishing work at 4, you expect to be able to get from Lewes to Brighton within an hour, before 5pm before the banks close for example.

If the Bus Company really ARE cancelling advertised scheduled journeys (or persistently running them late), you could always complain to the Traffic Commissioner's Office in Eastbourne.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I've lived away from Brighton for 20 years & I think the buses are better than they ever were when I lived here. They are certainly better than the buses in Bristol or Barnsley where i have lived. The £1.70 signle fare is expensive, but the £3.20 all day saver is excellent value.

When we came down for the last weekend of the season I bought a say saver for myself & the two children, aged 15 & 11. It was worth it as I didn't have to have the argument about the ages of the children. I've tried to use Matt's South Yorkshire travel card as proff of his age, but it's not accepted. As they don't live with me I've got no proof of their age, so it's just too much hassle to get a bus pass for them.

My son Matt loves the buses, he saw DI Burnside from the Bill on the back seat of the 1A & I had to evict the Fatty Taxman from the 49A as he had fallen asleep!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here