Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Bus Strike Within 2 Weeks

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Having lived in Hove I think that the B&H buses are pretty reliable and good value! I used to get the bus from Holmes Avenue to the Univeristy of Brighton for £2 a day for about a 40 minute journey.

Having moved to the sticks (West Hoathly) public transport is no longer viable so I have to drive each day. The bus fare to Three Bridges station is £5.50 return (for a 40 minute journey with Metrobuses ) - it goes down to £4.80 per day if you buy a weekly ticket or £900 for a yearly pass - its a complete rip off and just makes people drive everywhere. When I do catch the bus its usually completely empty!!

As for the timetable - the first bus is at 7.48am, the next is 10.35am. Even getting the early bus I would not get to work until 9.30am, driving it takes me 45 minutes! The last bus home from Three Bridges station is 18.51 so no good after doing anything after work!

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Got a reply from B&H, seems I can get a child ticket at 85p per bus but no saver or any other discount. So if I go from Saltdean to Hollingdean and back its classed as 4 journeys which I make £3.40 for him and £3.20 for a saver for me, so better off getting 2 savers :) Mind you I have just noticed they also do a £1.70 There and Travel Home Free ticket, have to find out if they do a half fare version of that

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
you could walk

The bus drivers are on strike here. Haven't seen a bus in 10 days and counting now.

It hasn't affected much at all, except that, yes, shock, more people do seem to have rediscovered the ancient art of walking.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Brilliant :clap:

Bus strike: New timetable to be released
By Richard Gurner
Comment | Read Comments (6)
Bus passengers are to be given a revised timetable as planned strikes draw closer.

Drivers in Brighton are on strike every Monday for the next six weeks, starting next week, over a long-running pay row.

Represented by the Unite Transport and General Workers' Union, the drivers rejected the company's final pay offer last week after talks failed to ease the deadlock.

advertisement
Roger French said: "We are getting more drivers saying they are going to work as each day goes by and we are hoping to run a fairly good service.

"We will be publishing a contingency timetable within the next 24 hours."

A full list of any changes will be listed in the Argus on Friday.

Mr French would not be drawn on how many drivers had pledged to work through the strike insisting the company will publish timetable information once they are confident of how many drivers they will have.

Wednesday last week the Unite union turned down a 6% average pay rise with a £300 lump sum insisting on a 7.3% increase.

Bus drivers had rejected a previous pay increase from the company ranging between 4% and 8% depending on driversí length of service, last month.

The new offer would have put all drivers who had worked for the company for more than a year on the same wage from August, although union officials described the offer as "just moving money around".

Dave Weeks, regional industrial organiser with Unite said union stewards and officials would possibly be meeting with Mr French tomorrow.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
well would you get out of bed for £10 an hour or 20k a year? Thats the offer thats been refused I think. And thing is a lot of drivers dont want to strike, they cant afford to lose the days wages but they have the choice of lose the money or cross the picket line, be called a scab, lose friends but keep the cash. Typical unions

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
This morning was the crowning glory. Waiting at St Peters church for the 7.43 to take us to County Hall. It got to about 7.55, and people were beginning to get frustrated. The bus turned up at 8.06.

I asked the driver why he was so late, he said he was only 1 minute late. Which in fairness he was right. So I asked him why the other bus didn’t turn up, had there been an accident or something in Brighton city centre. He just said "it's not my problem, I'm on time"

Because 1 bus had been missed out, the bus was already full by the time it got to St Peters church. By the time it got to Lewes Road (bottom of Elm Grove) the driver wasn’t letting any people on, the bus was packed, and there were always at least 5-10 people at each stop.

We got to the Moulsecoombe campus of Brighton Uni, when a few girls tried to get on, the driver was doing a one on, one off service. Only 2 people got off, and about 5 people tried to get on. The girls were trying to explain that they had exams at 9 and had to get on the bus. He just said, "it's my license on the line, not yours" and closed the doors. The girls burst into tears standing on the pavement, and we drove off.

Whilst on the bus, someone decided to call your company demanding a resaon, and they had explained that there were not enough drivers, so the service was cancelled.

Not much good to the men in suits late for meetings, people late for work and college etc.

I cant wait for the delay at 4.14 this afternoon, just hope it stays dry as there is no shelter at the bus stop.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Should get an earlier bus to be safe I reckon, problem sorted
(if I had important 9:00 exams or a meeting and obviously get the bus regularly and dont trust, thats what I would do)

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Should get an earlier bus to be safe I reckon, problem sorted
(if I had important 9:00 exams or a meeting and obviously get the bus regularly and dont trust, thats what I would do)

the early bus didnt turn up!!! They were being safe, was supposed to turn at at 7.43 in Brighton, normally a 20 minute journey, In Lewes at 8.10, for a 9 exam? nothing wrong with that

But the buses f***ed up AGAIN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here