Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
There's a world of difference between pride for yourself, the state of your country and society i.e. and the brand of faux patriotism we see today which is about flag waving and new nationalism born from a place of dishonesty

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep. Coupled with the people (examples on here) who are trying to dress up petty Nationalism as patriotism, you cannot blame them. Unfortunately, true patriots, people like us who love our country simply have no power at present. Breaks my heart to see what some leave voters have helped to turn this country into. The only solace is that things always change and this will swing back around. But the damage they have inflicted on the UK will take a long, long time to heal.
Its hilarious that Johnson and his upper echelon loons now can't do a Zoom interview from an office or their loft extension without showing a minimum of one Union Flag in the background.. I wonder if flags have been issued to all Tory MP's just in case they are put up for interview?
It is, of course, the wrong flag, they should be flying the flag of St George since they sold NI down the river and ignored the wishes of a huge majority of Scotland. At least that would be honest.

Its also worth considering at what point does a " Union", much like a marriage, become an abusive, controlling relationship rather than a mutual partnership? " If you Love Someone, Set Them Free" ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good to see you agree there is nothing wrong with benign nationalism

Benign nationalism is not the same as patriotism as the words "nationalism" and "patriotism" have different meanings.

It's like saying that a false #9 is the same as a central defender.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Benign nationalism is not the same as patriotism as the words "nationalism" and "patriotism" have different meanings.

It's like saying that a false #9 is the same as a central defender.

If people argue from a place of dishonesty you have to continually sidestep and end up in a hall of mirrors style world of contradiction

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This chap put it rather well :

[tweet]1359838126735302659[/tweet]

Nationalism assuming one country is simply superior to another, this is nonsense

No one is superior to another, we are all different and excel at different things.

Am I glad to be born a Brit, yes in course. Am I proud to be British? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Nothing wrong with a bit of benign nationalism

View attachment 134029

bedwetting snowflakes will whine about it but so what if they do

Most of us who are lifetime supporters of an habitually lower-league football team have a strong sense of place. I am pleased I was born in Brighton, and feel a close connection with Sussex, Lincolnshire and my country. That's enough for me - to tell someone that my places are definitely better than theirs is like telling them that my mother is better than their mother.

But that little flag is just beautiful. Best seen on the tower of a remote country church. Its image sadly diluted by football yobs and strutting Brexiters of the variety I last saw rampaging in Parliament Square. The sort who show contempt for those who disagree with them.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Nationalism assuming one country is simply superior to another, this is nonsense

No one is superior to another, we are all different and excel at different things.

Am I glad to be born a Brit, yes in course. Am I proud to be British? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

That's also where the idea of sovereignty comes from, imperialism, exceptionalism, nationalism. The idea we don't want to have joined economies and regulatory alignment because we are better than everyone else. It also explains why you need to have a right wing government to lead it

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yep. Coupled with the people (examples on here) who are trying to dress up petty Nationalism as patriotism, you cannot blame them. Unfortunately, true patriots, people like us who love our country simply have no power at present. Breaks my heart to see what some leave voters have helped to turn this country into. The only solace is that things always change and this will swing back around. But the damage they have inflicted on the UK will take a long, long time to heal.

Fortunately, people like you (patronising bigots) will never achieve power as the Great British Public can smell a wrong un a mile off. :glare:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Most of us who are lifetime supporters of an habitually lower-league football team have a strong sense of place. I am pleased I was born in Brighton, and feel a close connection with Sussex, Lincolnshire and my country. That's enough for me - to tell someone that my places are definitely better than theirs is like telling them that my mother is better than their mother.

But that little flag is just beautiful. Best seen on the tower of a remote country church. Its image sadly diluted by football yobs and strutting Brexiters of the variety I last saw rampaging in Parliament Square. The sort who show contempt for those who disagree with them.

It constantly amuses me that you think you are in any way superior to them when in fact you (and your fellow travellers) are far, far worse.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I guess it is a bit cringe when NSCs finest constantly run down Stoke and Burnley and how Brighton is a better place, bit snobby i suppose really.
By the way my mum was the best mum in the world - FACT ! :thumbsup:.

Our flag is beautiful flag isnt it.(we agree on something) Subjective where its best seen, lovely on a church indeed but wonderful at Wembley and not bad either being waved by some fair maidens in Trafalgar Square.

4971701_5c1e95a5.jpg

DbdNs1LXcAAdbGc.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I guess it is a bit cringe when NSCs finest constantly run down Stoke and Burnley and how Brighton is a better place

Not at all, sometimes there are exceptions we have put everything to one side...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1362809563070758915[/TWEET]

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It constantly amuses me that you think you are in any way superior to them when in fact you (and your fellow travellers) are far, far worse.

The fact that you can be constantly amused by something that exists only in your head is alarming.

(Unless the 'them' in your post was a reference to the far-right, spitting, facially tattooed, video camera-wielding Brexit cheerleaders being shepherded away by police in Parliament Square last October - yes, I do feel superior to them. How do you feel I am worse?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here