Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm sure they are, in the same way most of the sophisticated metropolitan types I know will vote in.

Dear oh dear
Narcissistic champagne Blairite snobbery is alive and well.
What next Herr T? Want to snigger and point at a white van man with a St Georges flag on his house?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Dear oh dear
Narcissistic champagne Blairite snobbery is alive and well.
What next Herr T? Want to snigger and point at a white van man with a St Georges flag on his house?

Good grief. Are you trying to prove that the Out side has no sense of humour? Or is this a little joke of your own? It is so difficult to know sometimes.

D

Deleted member 22389

I think the In campaign will win, simply because the Out people don't have a proper strategy for Britan if we leave. I couldn't support them anymore because there are too many unknowns if we leave. Although Project Fear comes across as scaremongering, I think there is probably a lot of truth in what is being said. Whether the Outers like or not we have relative stability at present. The prospect of leaving might mean that businesses could pull out and the resulting unemployment could have a scary terrible impact on families up and down the country..

With the possible prospect of Scotland seeking independence would add to the instability, the break-up of the Union and the diminution of our influence in Europe and the World Stage.

If we stay, we will be signed up to TTIP, our payments to the EU will increase, migration from the EU will increase as the EU has plans for other countries to join, illegal immigration will increase, and we will eventually be forced in to accepting migrant quotas, that's if Europe hasn't imploded by then, because of the migrant crisis in the first place.

I can see myself living in an over populated country with real poverty in the future, where young people would have been left behind, unable to get on the housing ladder, unable to get a decent paying job due to the competition. Nothing is being put in place to protect this country or it's people in the future. Politicians and the EU don't give a shit about us, our country or our culture, they are going to leave us to pick up the mess.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
If we stay, we will be signed up to TTIP, our payments to the EU will increase, migration from the EU will increase as the EU has plans for other countries to join, illegal immigration will increase, and we will eventually be forced in to accepting migrant quotas, that's if Europe hasn't imploded by then, because of the migrant crisis in the first place.

i can see myself living in an over populated country with real poverty in the future, where young people would have been left behind, unable to get on the housing ladder, unable to get a decent paying job due to the competition. Nothing is being put in place to protect this country or it's people in the future. Politicians and the EU don't give a shit about us, our country or our culture, they are going to leave us to pick up the mess.

The nightmare is already happening with this greedy, backward Tory government! It has little to do with Europe. Pull the drawbridge up without a proper strategy and the whole country will be at the mercy of those who will exploit us all. It's a very scary, scary risk not worth taking.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The nightmare is already happening with this greedy, backward Tory government! It has little to do with Europe. Pull the drawbridge up without a proper strategy and the whole country will be at the mercy of those who will exploit us all. It's a very scary, scary risk not worth taking.

The subtext to Corbyn switching to a Remain vote is that he is saying that because it's very probable that the Tories will be in power for the foreseeable future and Labour are incapable of offering any effective opposition the only option is to rely on the EU exercising their powers to thwart an individual nation's government ability to run their own country.

And you think that isn't scary?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think the In campaign will win, simply because the Out people don't have a proper strategy for Britan if we leave. I couldn't support them anymore because there are too many unknowns if we leave. Although Project Fear comes across as scaremongering, I think there is probably a lot of truth in what is being said. Whether the Outers like or not we have relative stability at present. The prospect of leaving might mean that businesses could pull out and the resulting unemployment could have a scary terrible impact on families up and down the country..

With the possible prospect of Scotland seeking independence would add to the instability, the break-up of the Union and the diminution of our influence in Europe and the World Stage.

Fair point, I think how most casual inners feel.

I'm not sure about this world stage thing though. I'm sure the Americans don't take anymore notice of what we say cause we have Latvia, Romania and Greece backing us up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I can see myself living in an over populated country with real poverty in the future, where young people would have been left behind, unable to get on the housing ladder, unable to get a decent paying job due to the competition. Nothing is being put in place to protect this country or it's people in the future. Politicians and the EU don't give a shit about us, our country or our culture, they are going to leave us to pick up the mess.

Have you got a link to a credible report that our payments will go up because of TTIP or is this just another brexit scare story.

As for the conditions of the agreement, don't you think that the US will look to negotiate similar with us if we were out of the EU. The discussions are about reducing regulation to the lowest common denominator as far as I can tell so I'm sure the US will not 'raise the bar' just for us.

As for your second paragraph, a scary scenario but you fail to explain how being outside the EU will change that!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Entitled to your opinion.

All very odd though your reasoning.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fair point, I think how most casual inners feel.

I'm not sure about this world stage thing though. I'm sure the Americans don't take anymore notice of what we say cause we have Latvia, Romania and Greece backing us up.

No, but they take notice more because we are alongside Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
No, but they take notice more because we are alongside Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

:lolol:

Sure they do.

They really really really rate France the Americans.

I'm sure they like pasta and whatever the Spanish offer too.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
There could also be a prospect if wages drop and working conditions worsen that people will leave this country, not just the immigrants who moved here but also indigenous citizens could leave. A brain-drain would be the last thing an England/Wales/N. Ireland economy would need when Scotland goes too. A Boris Johnson government on its last legs may have to relax immigration and border controls further. I doubt the Outers would like that.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
:lolol:

Sure they do.

They really really really rate France the Americans.

I'm sure they like pasta and whatever the Spanish offer too.

The population of the UK is 64m, the population of the EU is 504m (eight times the size), the population of the US is 319m. I'm pretty sure the US would pay far more attention to one single market 50% bigger than they are, than they would to one just 1/5 their size. Why wouldn't they?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The population of the UK is 64m, the population of the EU is 504m (eight times the size), the population of the US is 319m. I'm pretty sure the US would pay far more attention to one single market 50% bigger than they are, than they would to one just 1/5 their size. Why wouldn't they?

Nice.

But the reality is they pay attention to us the most, then Germany, pretend to a bit with the French and couldn't even point out the others on a map.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Nice.

But the reality is they pay attention to us the most, then Germany, pretend to a bit with the French and couldn't even point out the others on a map.

Do they? Of course that's what we get to see in our news/media - not to mention it's obsession with the "Special Relationship" - but is it really true? The first European Obama invited to the White House was the King of Spain; the most recent was the President of Italy. TTIP (whatever your thoughts on it) is huge for the US. The UK alone really doesn't matter that much to them, and convincing ourselves that it does probably doesn't do us any favours.

(Of course you're probably right about the general public: http://www.boredpanda.com/americans-place-european-countries-on-map/ :lolol: )

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

There was an article in the paper a few weeks back about the reaction of the US negotiators involved in the TTIP agreement. They had been taken aback by how tough it had been to negotiate with the EU. To paraphrase, one of the US negotiators had said that 'usually we just fax over the terms and conditions of trade with the US and the other party signs, but with the EU they've stood firm.' In fact, the Americans have been quite surprised that the EU have told them that they don't like their food standard quality and that the US will have to improve their standards if there is to be a TTIP. Whatever you think of TTIP, I guess this is an example of a large trade bloc exercising power with another of equal stature.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here