Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There could also be a prospect if wages drop and working conditions worsen that people will leave this country, not just the immigrants who moved here but also indigenous citizens could leave. A brain-drain would be the last thing an England/Wales/N. Ireland economy would need when Scotland goes too. A Boris Johnson government on its last legs may have to relax immigration and border controls further. I doubt the Outers would like that.

And earthquakes, lots of earthquakes. And the sun will become black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon become like blood. I doubt the Outers will much like that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nice.

But the reality is they pay attention to us the most, then Germany, pretend to a bit with the French and couldn't even point out the others on a map.

Really? You genuinely believe corporate America will put a small market like the UK ahead of a massive market like the EU just because of our 'special' relationship.

That might explain why you seem to think we will be a world player when are negotiating our new trade deals with the rest of the world, and of course the EU.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Do they? Of course that's what we get to see in our news/media - not to mention it's obsession with the "Special Relationship" - but is it really true? The first European Obama invited to the White House was the King of Spain; the most recent was the President of Italy. TTIP (whatever your thoughts on it) is huge for the US. The UK alone really doesn't matter that much to them, and convincing ourselves that it does probably doesn't do us any favours.

(Of course you're probably right about the general public: http://www.boredpanda.com/americans-place-european-countries-on-map/ :lolol: )

We can be just as cruel...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/i...ed-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat#.wrqEqE491

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And earthquakes, lots of earthquakes. And the sun will become black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon become like blood. I doubt the Outers will much like that.

Don't know about the Earthquakes and the sun, but there are about 5 million Brits living abroad so it does happen.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Really? You genuinely believe corporate America will put a small market like the UK ahead of a massive market like the EU just because of our 'special' relationship.

That might explain why you seem to think we will be a world player when are negotiating our new trade deals with the rest of the world, and of course the EU.

Agree.

Just as we see Australia change to reflect a mix of Asian culture as well as the hybrid European settlers, so the US old guard of politics is changing. We could see an American with Hispanic roots as president by the end of the year (unlikely), who would have far more of a special relationship with the growing markets south of their borders.

As you say, the world has changed and we need to find a role within it and punch above our weight. Whether we are in or out (and I hope it's in) we simply must wake up to the news that we are not a super power and that leaving will affect our economic status.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

I just don't buy this illusion the the EU is some behemoth, the U.S mainly deals with us, Germany and France, it might wave and smile at a few others but thats it. What ever is agreed between those major nations the hanger on satellites fall in line with.

I doubt the Yanks tell us, the Germans and the French to pipe down cause they want to hear what Slovakia thinks.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If you took Britain, Germany and France out of the EU what great market would you have left?

Del Trotters suitcase, thats what.

D

Deleted member 22389

Agree.

Just as we see Australia change to reflect a mix of Asian culture as well as the hybrid European settlers, so the US old guard of politics is changing. We could see an American with Hispanic roots as president by the end of the year (unlikely), who would have far more of a special relationship with the growing markets south of their borders.

As you say, the world has changed and we need to find a role within it and punch above our weight. Whether we are in or out (and I hope it's in) we simply must wake up to the news that we are not a super power and that leaving will affect our economic status.

We have the Gatwick Gusher, we can make some very good deals once we have left the EU.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...flow-produced-by-gatwick-gusher-a6945341.html

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I doubt the Yanks tell us, the Germans and the French to pipe down cause they want to hear what Slovakia thinks.

No, of course they don't. But isn't the point that in negotiations (e.g. TTIP), the EU speaks with one voice that's a hell of a lot louder than ours (or Slovakia's...) would be outside it? Each country alone can be ignored; together America has to sit up and listen.

D

Deleted member 22389

If you took Britain, Germany and France out of the EU what great market would you have left?

Del Trotters suitcase, thats what.

Dell Trotters suitcase stuffed with Olives, Wine, Pasta and some Ferrari's

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
No, of course they don't. But isn't the point that in negotiations (e.g. TTIP), the EU speaks with one voice that's a hell of a lot louder than ours (or Slovakia's...) would be outside it? Each country alone can be ignored; together America has to sit up and listen.

No the EU speaks with whatever the major powers says it will do. The little ones sometimes kick up a fuss which prolongs the whole thing but in the end they do as they're told.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
No the EU speaks with whatever the major powers says it will do. The little ones sometimes kick up a fuss which prolongs the whole thing but in the end they do as they're told.

I'm not disputing how the EU's position is reached, but that doesn't change the main point; once the EU has a position, the US will find that position harder to argue with that it would if it were coming from any individual country. That applies whether the individual country is Slovakia, France, or the UK.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Regardless of what the INNER scaremongers say I'm not convinced much would happen to trade between us and the EU.............sorry, Germany and France.

The focus seems to be on the effect of our ecomomy but what about the EU? They would have lost a major player, a major economy, they will lose a huge amount of subsidy and have to pay us a shit load back.

France and Germany and couple of the others will have to stump up that loss every year to fill the void.

Doesn't sound to me like an EU who can posture and dictate trade terms to us.

Far from it.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Regardless of what the INNER scaremongers say I'm not convinced much would happen to trade between us and the EU.............sorry, Germany and France.

The focus seems to be on the effect of our ecomomy but what about the EU? They would have lost a major player, a major economy, they will lose a huge amount of subsidy and have to pay us a shit load back.

France and Germany and couple of the others will have to stump up that loss every year to fill the void.

Doesn't sound to me like an EU who can posture and dictate trade terms to us.

Far from it.

If we leave, the EU will want to make damn sure we're the last country to do so; they'll have to discourage everyone else from following us or risk the whole thing collapsing. I think therefore the EU will have absolutely no choice but to stand up and refuse a good deal.

Why would they make leaving look like a cosy option?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If we leave, the EU will want to make damn sure we're the last country to do so; they'll have to discourage everyone else from following us or risk the whole thing collapsing. I think therefore the EU will have absolutely no choice but to stand up and refuse a good deal.

Sadly, this is true.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Do you think it would collapse anyway if say Germany left? You think us and the French would just keep propping up this lame duck?

It wouldn't surprise me if we left that the whole thing would collapse sooner or later. The every day voter in Europe has had enough, they want their sovereignty back.

Us leaving would be the beginning of the end. They aren't ever going to get stronger if we or any major power left.

I know TTIP has been mentioned but thats just one example of zero democracy in the EU. Infact when have you ever voted on anything that happens in the EU?

Jan 30, 2008
if we leave, the eu will want to make damn sure we're the last country to do so; they'll have to discourage everyone else from following us or risk the whole thing collapsing. I think therefore the eu will have absolutely no choice but to stand up and refuse a good deal.

it's collapsing anyway :rolleyes: more scare mongering :whistle:
regards
DR

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

They don't need to. The tinpot economies are desperate to stay in, its their cash cow. Those who are already broke cant do anything, like Greece. They're stuck there forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here