Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Sounds like you are selecting staff for the wrong reasons

A lot of employers employ Eastern Europeans not necessarily because they are cheap, its because they are hard working and stick at it. A friend of mine runs a fruit farm. Its hard work and actually well paid, but the locals aren't interested in getting up at 5am to pick Strawberries, without imported labour he wouldn't be able to supply Waitrose.

Please tell me how i was selecting staff for the wrong reasons.

Dont think i could have been clearer. Migrant staff are known to be transient.There is no reason for them to be tied to one area,they are very likely to move at the drop of a hat to a different area should the opportunity arise.
I was very clear employing local people is preferred. These people are embedded in the local community are not likely to move away. They can be valuable employees for years and years not just months. This timescale in itself is worth its weight in gold to have an employee on your books you can value as committed.long term

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Analysis: Professor David Bailey of Aston University

I think MG through Shanghai Automotive's owner have been kind of hanging on there.

I think what has really scuppered them is the Brexit vote.

They had fundamental business problems in that they were not selling as many cars as they hoped and they had the big import costs of components.

Post Brexit though, the costs of import are much more expensive so costs are higher and there is uncertainty about the future on the trading relationships in Europe.

What they had hoped to do was use the UK as a launch pad for selling into Europe. If - big if - we are no longer part of the single market what is the point of investing there?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I think MG through Shanghai Automotive's owner have been kind of hanging on there.

They had fundamental business problems in that they were not selling as many cars as they hoped and they had the big import costs of components.

Post Brexit though, the costs of import are much more expensive so costs are higher and there is uncertainty about the future on the trading relationships in Europe.

What they had hoped to do was use the UK as a launch pad for selling into Europe. If - big if - we are no longer part of the single market what is the point of investing there?

its a fair assessment that a car manufacturer that struggles to sell cars is probably going to find things tough whether we are in or out

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Nothing focuses the mind on costs than a declining top line. They had no choice post brexit it seemed

you can strip the costs down to zero. If the product is shit and people dont want to buy it then its still shit no matter how hard you polish the turd

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

They've had a flawed business model in that it was importing virtually the entire car for Longbridge with some very limited assembly, about 40 to 50 workers.

you deliberatly omitted a key line of the article, as well as the main article with more context. they are importing the part-built car from China and plan to move all production back to China, so the cost of imports (shipping and duties to EU) are unchanged by Brexit. post Brexit there is no reason to expect import duties to rise into the UK and will be the same for Chinese built cars imported into the EU, so the Professor is clearly making a point based on bias not academic insight.

and this is a general theme, anything bad in business is and will be blamed on brexit, even when there are longer term problems within companies. executives will always use any public knowledge to excuse poor sales and performance. here the narrative is to use currently non-existant EU market as a reason to stop production in UK, when in reality its just poor performance in UK and lack of interest in really developing the EU market.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

source?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The lovely thing about this case is that the Chinese originally thought the initials MG stood for Modern Gentleman.

It might not be the best example of what will happen if Davis or whoever it is fails to get free access on current terms to the single market but we can all agree that the future of Foreign Direct Investment by companies such as Nissan looks uncertain at the moment, as the Japanese have pointed out. If Davis doesn't get a deal he is going to have to come up with something pretty generous to make the numbers stack up in Tokyo and elsewhere.

On the other hand, as Brexiters, people like Davis and Fox might not care about deals of this kind at all. One of the economists to favour Brexit, Economists for Britain leading light Patrick Minford, has argued in favour of an approach to tariffs that would, he accepts, cause the ‘elimination’ of UK manufacturing and a large increase in wage inequality.

"This isn't something that need worry us," he says, apparently relaxed as he savours a golden dawn of Britain as a world-leading distribution and warehousing location for other people's goods. There are people on this board who would welcome a future like this too but I suspect that some might start to worry that they have just voted for Margaret Thatcher's children.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The lovely thing about this case is that the Chinese originally thought the initials MG stood for Modern Gentleman.

It might not be the best example of what will happen if Davis or whoever it is fails to get free access on current terms to the single market but we can all agree that the future of Foreign Direct Investment by companies such as Nissan looks uncertain at the moment, as the Japanese have pointed out. If Davis doesn't get a deal he is going to have to come up with something pretty generous to make the numbers stack up in Tokyo and elsewhere.

On the other hand, as Brexiters, people like Davis and Fox might not care about deals of this kind at all. One of the economists to favour Brexit, Economists for Britain leading light Patrick Minford, has argued in favour of an approach to tariffs that would, he accepts, cause the ‘elimination’ of UK manufacturing and a large increase in wage inequality.

"This isn't something that need worry us," he says, apparently relaxed as he savours a golden dawn of Britain as a world-leading distribution and warehousing location for other people's goods. There are people on this board who would welcome a future like this too but I suspect that some might start to worry that they have just voted for Margaret Thatcher's children.

Still promoting Project Fear.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Intersting analysis. There are cheaper places to warehouse goods than the UK , as least whilst our living standards are as high as they are. Over time of course living standards could well erode (and a 10% fall in sterling is a 10% cut im our collective wealth) thst will make than an options

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I ran a business in a field that now relies near universily on cheap EU labour. This sector (hospitality) did not need to do this. I refused to employ europeans and never did.

Out of interest how did the business do by taking this approach. Genuinely interested.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So how did you get round the Equality Act 2010, as this seems a clear beach if you refuse to interview any Europeans and just reject any application based on their race.

He's avoiding my question about how his business performed....so maybe he got round it by going bust?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here