Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't really see how this analogy falls over:

NT: Hello, you're through to the National Trust.
Caller: Hello. Yes, I’d like to withdraw my membership please.
NT: I’m sorry to hear that, may I ask why?
Caller: We’re fed up with it. The houses are too full. There’s queues at the cafes and not enough tables. Plus we’ve noticed there are plenty of stately homes and attractions not part of the National Trust. And we have to pay a that ridiculous fee that we could use for anything we like…
NT: OK, so shall I cancel your direct debit?
Caller: Just wait a minute. I have promised my family that even if we leave, we can still have full access to all of your country houses, historic landscapes and nature reserves.
NT: Yes, you can do that. You just have to pay an entry fee each time you visit one of our attractions.
Caller: But won’t that be hugely more expensive?
NT: Yes.
Caller: And won’t that mean I’ll have to queue up with all the non-members and pay each time?
NT: Yes. And for the car parks.
Caller: So, we can’t use them any more?
NT: You can. But you’ll have to pay. Sorry.
Caller: Will you still send me the magazine?
NT: Well, no. Why would we–?
Caller: How dare you be so unhelpful. Can’t we agree on a different arrangement?
NT: Such as?
Caller: One where we still have full access to all of your attractions and car parks. And the magazine.
NT: Yes. You can do that by being a member of the National Trust.
Caller: Oh, you people. Honestly.
Did that caller pay as large a percentage of the NT budget as the UK does of the EU budget? Did that caller contribute as much to the NT economy as the UK does to the EU economy? Did the NT go into meltdown when the caller decided to leave?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Ooh GOODY a cut in corporation tax!

So Government income down and the cost of borrowing soon to rise.

That £350 million isn't going to go very far at all, with the NHS getting all £350 million of it, its going to leave all other state spending, including defence going down the drain.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
But lets not forget before you get too complacent.
The 17,410,742 that voted Brexit all voted because they saw a logo on a bus.

None of them voted for issues like immigration,control of borders,housing, jobs,access to services,none voted because they were concerned about democracy and accountability, none voted to return primacy of UK courts.

It was all about the logo on the bus.Or so we are led to believe.

When the dust finally settles and the remainers (like they are slowly doing) acknowledge Brexit means Brexit perhaps they will look at the regional figures of this country and realise we have actually voted to leave,and in some areas the vote leave is very striking.
This ridiculous gesturing from the pissed off of London because they somehow know better and are more enlightened and intelligent is perverse.What an odd bunch of self entitled out of touch wallies they have proven to the rest of the country they are.

View attachment 76313

We will LEAVE the EU,its a certainty,no manner of dodgy petitions,ridiculous legal challenges based on on nothing or MP`s vowing to disregard democracy will change this.
Its time the remainers put the vote behind them and move forward. Lets crack on together and unite to make the best of our new opportunities.

i think that chart shows the fact that those areas who are suffering from an over population of immigrants have voted to leave......the north and midlands anyway ...the east has voted out as sick of being dictated to in agricultural terms .....the scots and n.ireland , prrfft feck knows what they're on about and Londonites voted remain because they get great benefit from elevated property demand /values etc...(rich twatts) it's easy for the silver coated southerners to say remain.....have a month in rochdale,oldham, gloucester , grantham , walsall or mansfield.....grim as fook.....at the end of the day the people have voted to leave for the wrong reasons believing that things are the way they are because of the E.U....the problems that we face these days have very little to do with the E.U.....but more to do with the fact that we encouraged migrant labour in the past and now have a rather large pocket of disgruntled society because we are currently bombing the shit out their religious brothers and sisters.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ooh GOODY a cut in corporation tax!

Devil in the detail from GO, already taking 17% by 2020, maybe sub 15% by 2030.

Think trying to sure up investors the UK is a great place to be, we're taking the lead in the race to the bottom. Ireland isn't worth the hassle, stay with us and try not to panic

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Fine if you think that but if you do you are disagreeing with the arguments behind the Huffington piece which made it quite clear that the reason significant numbers of the, um, working classes (or 'people from the council estates' as IDS likes to call them) voted Leave was to stick two fingers up to the people they felt were ignoring them.

I did hear a Brexiter on the radio last week saying that the overwhelming reason that people who previously had shown zero interest in politics voted Leave was because they had a Vision for the way Europe and the UK should relate to each other. Wasn't you was it?
I didn't see that in the article. If people had wanted to do that they would have ignored them back, and just not voted. Instead they voted in their millions to leave the EU because (I believe) they can see the EU for what it is: corrupt, domineering and not fit for purpose. I'm sure many of them are like me - felt cheated after the 1975 referendum when we were slowly dragged into something we were promised wouldn't happen and that we didn't want (ever increasing assimilation into a United States of Europe, led by Germany and France). I am also sure that, like me, they promised themselves that if they were given a second chance they wouldn't make the same mistake again. I salute all of those for remaining true to the cause and for those not able to vote in 1975 for not being put off by the scaremongering tactics of the remainers.
It wasn't me with the quote but I would hope many of them would have memories of what it was like in the early days of the Common Market - where we had individual countries with their own laws and parliaments joined together to create a single base from which to do business with each other. That was the original vision - even Maggie was in favour of that.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I do not wish to fast track anybody, there are conditions to be met, but when the time is right and if those nations wanted to, yes, why not? What are you scared of?

Well what are these conditions you mention and what exactly are you scared of, your just throwing around soundbites and do not seem to identify consequence, it was you that said free world movement was a reasonable aspiration and now you mention 'conditions to be met' if further accession countries even within the EU, you went from 'Hippy' to 'Farage' in one fell swoop.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well what are these conditions you mention and what exactly are you scared of, your just throwing around soundbites and do not seem to identify consequence, it was you that said free world movement was a reasonable aspiration and now you mention 'conditions to be met' if further accession countries even within the EU, you went from 'Hippy' to 'Farage' in one fell swoop.

No, I didn't. I just asked what you are scared of, if the E.U. we're to grow by adding further members. There have always been conditions on joining the Union, find out for yourself what the process is, I have neither the time or the patience to educate the willfully stupid.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Did that caller pay as large a percentage of the NT budget as the UK does of the EU budget? Did that caller contribute as much to the NT economy as the UK does to the EU economy? Did the NT go into meltdown when the caller decided to leave?

What's with all this nick picking just accept that you no longer have access to NT properties. Anyway you should be thankful as the gardens wont be as good given the vote not to allow more gardeners in
You voted for ir now just get on with it and be positive you can still look over the wall if you take a stool with you.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
No, I didn't. I just asked what you are scared of, if the E.U. we're to grow by adding further members. There have always been conditions on joining the Union, find out for yourself what the process is, I have neither the time or the patience to educate the willfully stupid.

Correct me if I am wrong as I could well be but didn't Greece get in because the EU allowed them to meet the conditions when in truth they didn't? The EU machine decided it would be a good idea to have another market to sell into so made sure Greece would pass the test. That didn't work out too well did it!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

You said that you would support worldwide free movement of peoples not just within the EU, you thought you sounded clever but now you are back tracking, acknowledging 'conditions' to even join a free movement area within the EU is necessary, its nonsensical for you to even consider worldwide free movement is some viable aspiration, it clearly isnt.

Dont bother asking me why I think it is astoundingly stupid to expand the free movement of people within the EU which is fundamentally an un-calibrated economic area, why not ask the EU why it seems unwilling to do it anytime soon, your own political position isnt represented, by the Leavers, the Remainers or the EU, none of which aspire to ultimately dissolve world wild nation states and its borders, you're out there on your own mate.

Yoda

English & European
Correct me if I am wrong as I could well be but didn't Greece get in because the EU allowed them to meet the conditions when in truth they didn't? The EU machine decided it would be a good idea to have another market to sell into so made sure Greece would pass the test. That didn't work out too well did it!

Technically, the EU wasn't formed until the Maastricht Treaty of 1993, Greece had already been a member of the EC since 1981 and went through a 5 year application so not exactly rushed through.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Not membership, joining the euro currency was the area where the rules were bent for Greece. And yes it was a mistake.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Only the really stupid would want to sign article 50 right now

The fact that Pretty Pink Fairy and one or two other prominant Team Brexiters supported a motion calling for its immediate signing suggests that they really do want the UK to get the worst-possible deal in its negotiations with the EU. They are either really stupid, secretly anti-English or have terrible judgement. Their choice.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You said that you would support worldwide free movement of peoples not just within the EU, you thought you sounded clever but now you are back tracking, acknowledging 'conditions' to even join a free movement area within the EU is necessary, its nonsensical for you to even consider worldwide free movement is some viable aspiration, it clearly isnt.

Dont bother asking me why I think it is astoundingly stupid to expand the free movement of people within the EU which is fundamentally an un-calibrated economic area, why not ask the EU why it seems unwilling to do it anytime soon, your own political position isnt represented, by the Leavers, the Remainers or the EU, none of which aspire to ultimately dissolve world wild nation states and its borders, you're out there on your own mate.

As I said, I don't have the time or the patience. I apologise for suggesting you were being willfully stupid though, I now see that you have no choice.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Pity Tony invaded Iraq and his credibility never recovered and few listen

Well, hopefully someone is listening, makes sense to me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36698055

Lets keep our options open, the deal isn't done yet and we haven't left yet. Christ if we can't trade with Europe we're in trouble...

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Nor knowledge, which is key .........................

This is partly true, I do not have all the knowledge of the E.U. I do however know the difference between free movement of labour and the Schengen area, which from reading your previous post, it is clear you do not.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Right, so it is the start of another Brexit week and let's look at where we are.

Five people stand to be leader of our post-Brexit country. There is a glossy woman from a 1960 Persil advertisement who in 2013 was saying that leaving the EU would be a disaster, a Capt Mainwaring lookalike who has said he would be hopeless at the job, a gloomy Ulsterman who left the government after allowing a chum of his to wander round the MoD and making one of the most colossal over-claims in the expenses scandal, and two people who a fortnight ago were completely disagreeing with Brexit anyway.

There was another bloke, a fat philanderer with hair-tinting issues who didn’t really want to leave the EU at all but thought that leading a campaign to do just that would be a bit of a jape and do wonders for his CV. Unfortunately for him he won and in a moment of extreme ‘tiredness’ he said that leaving the EU wouldn’t change anything much and he was therefore stabbed by Capt Mainwaring.

This wholesome quintet will be whittled down to two by Tory MPs, most of whom don’t want to leave the EU either. One of the finalists will be a Brexit-lover, probably the lady financier with the sixties hairdo. There are questions about her tax arrangements but she has the support of UKIP and at least one big UKIP financier. She in turn has said she will involve UKIP in her negotiations with the EU. She or the stabber will win, because most members of the Conservative Party, although nearly dead, are great Brexit fans and they have the final choice.

So. 0.003% or something of our population will appoint the person to lead the country in the direction chosen in a referendum marked by lies, aggression and xenophobia. A strange sort of democracy.

Tory MPs, although they have an absolute right as members of a Sovereign Parliament to ignore the referendum – indeed, they have a constitutional obligation to do what they believe is right to protect the national interest - will collapse before the mob and go along with anything for an easy life – ironically, given that parliamentary sovereignty was one of the great totems of the Leave campaign.

The very least we deserve is a general election surely?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The very least we deserve is a general election surely?

So we can vote in all the fringe parties as a protest vote against anyone remotely involved in the Referendum and find out that the new Prime Minister is Thomas the Tank Engine as he stood on a platform for nationalising the railways

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here