Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To address something raised on another thread -- that Brexit was of the left and right -- I want to make a point clear.
Brexit was, is and remains a project of the right. It was propelled on the whole by insular nationalism, within a world of global supply chains where most economies trade across the globe in complex networks, but the vast majority do the vast majority of their trade with their near neighbours. It was always a bad idea for this very reason, and we're having an extended demonstration of this point, and we'll have to endure that for some time yet too.
Yes, there was a left position on Brexit, which has often gone under the name of Lexit. Yet that was very much a minority position, in large part driven by the Trot left who were of the view that the EU was/is a neoliberal project. There were one or two other more sensible left commentators -- Larry Elliott springs to mind -- that advocated Brexit but, beyond that, can't think of too many others.
So, yes a small % of the Brexit vote was from the left, but there's no equivalence here, as it was clearly a right project.
And Brexit is just one latest reason to re-consider whether you're of the right or left. There are plenty more out there too.
It wasn’t a right or left project.

It was a project of profiteers, corporations and tax dodgers.

It was sold to the right because they are thicker, more nationalistic, and more gullible.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It was sold to the right because they are thicker, more nationalistic, and more gullible.
You're wrong in part. The red wall are traditional Labour voters. This project was sold to them.

When I say sold, I mean of.course in the same way a snake oil salesman sells his wears.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I rarely use this term, but those two statements are in direct contradiction to one another, which ought to be self-evident, but you can have a go at explaining why it isn't the case.
Edit: not entirely sure the second statement is even correct.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I rarely use this term, but those two statements are in direct contradiction to one another, which ought to be self-evident, but you can have a go at explaining why it isn't the case.
Edit: not entirely sure the second statement is even correct.
I think it’s self explanatory. I’m not sure where your confusion lies?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
To address something raised on another thread -- that Brexit was of the left and right -- I want to make a point clear.
Brexit was, is and remains a project of the right. It was propelled on the whole by insular nationalism, within a world of global supply chains where most economies trade across the globe in complex networks, but the vast majority do the vast majority of their trade with their near neighbours. It was always a bad idea for this very reason, and we're having an extended demonstration of this point, and we'll have to endure that for some time yet too.
Yes, there was a left position on Brexit, which has often gone under the name of Lexit. Yet that was very much a minority position, in large part driven by the Trot left who were of the view that the EU was/is a neoliberal project. There were one or two other more sensible left commentators -- Larry Elliott springs to mind -- that advocated Brexit but, beyond that, can't think of too many others.
So, yes a small % of the Brexit vote was from the left, but there's no equivalence here, as it was clearly a right project.
And Brexit is just one latest reason to re-consider whether you're of the right or left. There are plenty more out there too.
Come on, you can do better than that. There was sizeable pro-Brexit support from the Unions including this bunch of confused sods:

Mick Cash, General Secretary of the RMT, Mick Whelan, General Secretary of ASLEF, Ronnie Draper, General Secretary of the BFAWU and Doug Nicholls, Chair of TUAEU.

Read more about them here:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Come on, you can do better than that. There was sizeable pro-Brexit support from the Unions including this bunch of confused sods:

Mick Cash, General Secretary of the RMT, Mick Whelan, General Secretary of ASLEF, Ronnie Draper, General Secretary of the BFAWU and Doug Nicholls, Chair of TUAEU.

They'd fall under the Trot banner for me. They've probably even got pictures of him on their office walls. It's also worth adding that that's a pretty small % of union leaders.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think it’s self explanatory. I’m not sure where your confusion lies?
Profiteers and tax dodgers are self-evidently of the right, which celebrates inequality and hierarchy (although the most widely accepted -- and wrong -- definition is that they favour a small state, but those two would also fall under that banner).
Many corporations, perhaps most, or at the least their higher echelons are also of the right. But most corporations and businesses were anti-Brexit -- which is why I questioned the veracity of you including them in your list. Of course, some corporations -- hedge funds, for instance -- advocated for Brexit, but there I was of the impression that most big businesses, the CBI, and most other big businesses came out in favour of remaining in the EU.
So, I'm not confused on this at all.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
The vast majority of the Tory establishment in 2016 were pro remain which is hardly surprising as their big business backers loved an endless supply of cheap Labour and a nice centralised lobbying hub in Brussels.

In other news you will never read on this thread, unlike Brexit Britain.... Germany is in recession, the Eurozone is in recession and food prices in the UK are far cheaper than the EU on average ... not all bad then. :wink:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
The vast majority of the Tory establishment in 2016 were pro remain which is hardly surprising as their big business backers loved an endless supply of cheap Labour and a nice centralised lobbying hub in Brussels.

In other news you will never read on this thread, unlike Brexit Britain.... Germany is in recession, the Eurozone is in recession and food prices in the UK are far cheaper than the EU on average ... not all bad then. :wink:
Yep, you're a ****, especially after your last post.

Reactions: cjd

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

They are left, certainly.

But SWP, rather than Labour on the whole.

And in Labour, no more relevant today than One Nation is to the tories.....

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Today, I read a distressing article on the BBC:

It's a long read, so here is an executive summary:

In October 2021, a boatload of Tamils set sail from Sri Lanka, to escape persecution and claim asylum in Canada. They ran into trouble and fetched up in Diego Garcia, a UK/US base in the Indian ocean. They are still there, but have tried to claim asylum in Britain. Stories of suicide attempts and sexual assault followed.

Three are currently in Rwanda receiving medical treatment after being evacuated from the island following self-harm and suicide attempts.

There are many concerns about this story, not least the fact that this has only just come to light.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Today, I read a distressing article on the BBC:

It's a long read, so here is an executive summary:

In October 2021, a boatload of Tamils set sail from Sri Lanka, to escape persecution and claim asylum in Canada. They ran into trouble and fetched up in Diego Garcia, a UK/US base in the Indian ocean. They are still there, but have tried to claim asylum in Britain. Stories of suicide attempts and sexual assault followed.

Three are currently in Rwanda receiving medical treatment after being evacuated from the island following self-harm and suicide attempts.

There are many concerns about this story, not least the fact that this has only just come to light.
Oh yes, Diego Garcia, where Britain and the US decided they would take over somebody else’s home. Just like that!
How any Brit can moan about immigrants is beyond me!

Most Chagossians now live in Mauritius and the United Kingdom after being forcibly removed by the British government in the late 1960s and early 1970s so that Diego Garcia, the island where most Chagossians lived, could serve as the location for a United States military base.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here