Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Can Brexit supporters advise which of the below brexit benefits were delivered?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I’m sorry, but this is redefinition after the fact. The Brexit campaigned for and promised was an economic windfall that included a full Customs Union with the EU and was going to power our NHS and public services and make us the envy of the developed world.

I can promise you that there’s very little envy of us in the rest of Europe. There’s whole heaps of pity from our less belligerent and more collegiate neighbours, who have watched us aim at our feet and fire both barrels, but no envy.

This ‘sovereignty’ you speak of is, frankly, the right to be rude and belligerent to our neighbours. We had that right as part of the EU, we have it outside the EU. Of course, the EU is a huge trading bloc, can choose who it does less or more business with, and won’t accept goods of inferior quality that don’t meet its standards. We now have the right to make goods that don’t meet EU regulations with impunity, but who wants to buy them?

Are the same people who voted for Brexit also advocating the return of the British Empire? The only scenario in which we get to be rich, spoilt and sulky and throw our weight around, is if we control everything. We don’t. The world has moved on around us, and if you’re waiting for King Charles or any British government to reverse that, you’ll take your folly with you to the end.

There is no such thing as sovereignty in a modern connected global economy. We work with others to mutually agreed standards, or we wither and drift into obscurity.
This is clear and in my view undeniable. Thank you. I fear it has little power to persuade the die-hard Brexit supporters because theirs is an emotional rather than rational conviction.....

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I was after an intelligent response for Brexit benefits, so, ChatGPT is was. Here is the response:

1. Sovereignty and control: One of the primary arguments for Brexit was the desire for the UK to regain control over its laws, borders, and trade policies. Proponents of Brexit argued that leaving the EU would allow the UK to make independent decisions without being bound by EU regulations and directives. It was seen as an opportunity for the UK to exercise its sovereignty and shape its own destiny.
  2. Trade agreements: Brexit supporters believed that leaving the EU would enable the UK to negotiate its own trade agreements with countries outside the EU, fostering new economic opportunities. By having the freedom to establish bilateral trade deals, the UK could potentially tailor agreements to its specific needs and priorities, rather than conforming to EU-wide trade policies.
  3. Budget savings: The UK was one of the net contributors to the EU budget, meaning it paid more into the EU than it received in funding. Proponents of Brexit argued that leaving the EU would allow the UK to retain the funds it previously contributed and allocate them to domestic priorities, such as healthcare, education, infrastructure, or research and development.
  4. Regulatory flexibility: As an EU member, the UK had to adhere to EU regulations, which some argued could stifle business innovation and flexibility. Brexit proponents believed that leaving the EU would grant the UK the ability to create regulations that better suited its own market conditions, potentially reducing red tape and bureaucracy.
  5. Immigration control: Concerns about the impact of immigration on the UK's economy and society played a significant role in the Brexit debate. Leaving the EU was seen by some as a means to regain control over immigration policy, allowing the UK to set its own rules and requirements for entry, work permits, and residency.
All true and thank you for taking the time to set it out.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
I was after an intelligent response for Brexit benefits, so, ChatGPT is was. Here is the response:

1. Sovereignty and control: One of the primary arguments for Brexit was the desire for the UK to regain control over its laws, borders, and trade policies. Proponents of Brexit argued that leaving the EU would allow the UK to make independent decisions without being bound by EU regulations and directives. It was seen as an opportunity for the UK to exercise its sovereignty and shape its own destiny.
  2. Trade agreements: Brexit supporters believed that leaving the EU would enable the UK to negotiate its own trade agreements with countries outside the EU, fostering new economic opportunities. By having the freedom to establish bilateral trade deals, the UK could potentially tailor agreements to its specific needs and priorities, rather than conforming to EU-wide trade policies.
  3. Budget savings: The UK was one of the net contributors to the EU budget, meaning it paid more into the EU than it received in funding. Proponents of Brexit argued that leaving the EU would allow the UK to retain the funds it previously contributed and allocate them to domestic priorities, such as healthcare, education, infrastructure, or research and development.
  4. Regulatory flexibility: As an EU member, the UK had to adhere to EU regulations, which some argued could stifle business innovation and flexibility. Brexit proponents believed that leaving the EU would grant the UK the ability to create regulations that better suited its own market conditions, potentially reducing red tape and bureaucracy.
  5. Immigration control: Concerns about the impact of immigration on the UK's economy and society played a significant role in the Brexit debate. Leaving the EU was seen by some as a means to regain control over immigration policy, allowing the UK to set its own rules and requirements for entry, work permits, and residency.
Could you please ask ChatGPT what benefits these 5 points have deivered for the average UK citizen?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

So it appears reports are true and artificial intelligence is already way ahead of some organic forms of intelligence in giving up on Brexit and taking the piss :wink:

And I saw this report

Council on hook ‘for £10m’ over border post left in limbo by Brexit​

As white elephants go, few come larger than £25m. That is the cost of the hi-tech border control post, built to government specifications to handle post-Brexit checks on goods entering the UK, that sits near the waterfront at Portsmouth international port. The building has sat empty and unused for almost a year since its completion, after the UK government announced in April last year that the introduction of post-Brexit import checks would be delayed for a fourth time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...smouth-unused-post-brexit-border-control-post

It is a neat little summary of the complete and utter clusterf*** of concept, planning and implementation which is Brexit, in a nutshell :facepalm:

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Larry Summers tells it as it is: "Brexit is a historic economic error".
He's not wrong. Unfortunately we're stuck with this historic economic error for a while now. Not for ever, but for a while.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
So it appears reports are true and artificial intelligence is already way ahead of some organic forms of intelligence in giving up on Brexit and taking the piss :wink:

And I saw this report

Council on hook ‘for £10m’ over border post left in limbo by Brexit​

As white elephants go, few come larger than £25m. That is the cost of the hi-tech border control post, built to government specifications to handle post-Brexit checks on goods entering the UK, that sits near the waterfront at Portsmouth international port. The building has sat empty and unused for almost a year since its completion, after the UK government announced in April last year that the introduction of post-Brexit import checks would be delayed for a fourth time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...smouth-unused-post-brexit-border-control-post

It is a neat little summary of the complete and utter clusterf*** of concept, planning and implementation which is Brexit, in a nutshell :facepalm:
I've heard the same has happened at Newhaven

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We're kind of used to it, take Eurovision for example.
We nearly always come last with next to 'nil points'.
We'll cope.
I assume when you say 'we're kind of used to it' you are talking on behalf of yourself and the rest of the few remaining Brexit supporters :wink:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I assume when you say 'we're kind of used to it' you are talking on behalf of yourself and the rest of the few remaining Brexit supporters :wink:
No, no.

Let's try this slowly.

The poster said something on the lines of the world is laughing at Britain, as a whole.

Europe has, as I clearly stated, been laughing at us for years.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We'll cope.
Bad example. Germany routinely finish Eurovision in the bottom 5 yet they are not a laughing stock.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, no.

Let's try this slowly.

The poster said something on the lines of the world is laughing at Britain, as a whole.

Europe has, as I clearly stated, been laughing at us for years.
It is somewhat amusing that the Europeans you know have been laughing at you for years, whilst all the ones I know have been sympathising with me. What gives :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This hard-line old Trotskyist seems to think Brexit was a bit of a snaffoo.

We should probably stop spending £250,000,000 a week on the NHS and syphon it off elsewhere.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We'll cope.
Oh dear. We have won it five times which puts us up fairly high amongst the total number of partcipating countries and 27 different winners.
Try again with the Whataboutery. :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here