Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yeah agreed, Sturgeon is getting ahead of herself. Johnson may be the worse PM of the UK in the modern era, but he is still the PM

That said he really has got other stuff to sort right now, today added no value at all. Waste of time...

Got to feel for Johnson.. " OK, today which Union are we pro/anti ? EU or Scottish " ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Got to feel for Johnson.. " OK, today which Union are we pro/anti ? EU or Scottish " ?

Johnson has a problem, the SNP will use Vote Leave tactics.

There will be short term pain for Scotland economically but off in the long run, there a whole new world out there beyond the English market, taking back control, Scottish sovereignty, blah, blah, blah...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The EU threats to steal vaccines contracted to the UK has possibly destroyed any chance of re-joining.

What an own goal. Gold dust pro-Brexit narrative on a plate.

Anyway, that doesn't mean we shouldn't get the best economic deal, re-join EFTA and use that for access to the EEA.

* An EEA deal is better than a bad deal *

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The EU threats to steal vaccines contracted to the UK has possibly destroyed any chance of re-joining.

What an own goal. Gold dust pro-Brexit narrative on a plate.

Its a commercial matter between Astra Z a global pharma business and a large trading block. Its their business to resolve it between themselves...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting a friend of mine runs an IT business, brings in software licences coming in from Europe, usually takes 1 day via the usual carrier, latest console taken 10 days. This is with light touch customs and using one of the big 4 International freight companies.

I can't imagine the pain many UK business are dealing with this month, its all buried under covid. Ultimately the price will be paid with company profits and jobs.

Almost nothing in the UK press, consumer with vaccine nationalism, it really is pathetic

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Britain's Pfizer vaccine supply threatened by new rules expected to be approved by European Commission
Tensions between the UK and EU over vaccine supplies have reached a crisis point

The European Commission is expected to approve new rules that threaten Britain’s supply of Pfizer vaccines from Belgium with an EU export ban on Friday.

Companies will be forced to ask national customs authorities and the European Commission for permission to export vaccines out of the bloc, under the plans for the “export transparency mechanism”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...e-belgium-raided-request-european-commission/

Germany leads a powerful minority of countries that wants the EU to act aggressively to secure vaccines made in the UK and block exports to the UK of European-made jabs such as Pfizer’s.

Jens Spahn, the German health minister, has called for the burden of the reduced production by Astrazeneca to be shared equally between the EU and UK, meaning that British vaccine production totalling tens of millions of doses would need to be diverted to Europe....Mr Spahn and Germany back the creation of a vaccine export register with additional powers for the European Commission to block shipments of vaccines to the UK or elsewhere if there is a shortfall at the EU level.

Some have spelt out the threat in dramatic language, including normally moderate and senior members of Angela Merkel’s Christian Democrats who have called for a “trade war” over vaccines unless Britain agrees to share Astrazeneca production.

Peter Liese, a senior German Christian Democratic MEP and member of the European parliament’s health committee, has given warning that unless production is switched then the EU will ban shipments of the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine to Britain.

“We see that Europe is not treated well, not by the US and the UK, and we have to show our weapons,” he told the Euronews broadcaster last night, warning the “only consequence can be to immediately stop the export of Biontech”. He added: “Then we are in the middle of a trade war. So the company and the UK better think twice if they really want to stop all the export.”... One EU diplomatic source said: “When some Germans are sounding like Donald Trump it is time for everyone to take a deep breath and count to ten. A vaccine war between the EU and UK is one of the worst things that could possibly happen right now.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/will-there-be-an-eu-uk-trade-war-over-vaccine-exports-3xgfddqtt

EU threatens to impose export controls on Covid vaccines

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ne-eu-export-pfizer-astrazeneca-b1792570.html

No wonder the usual suspects have abandoned this thread and gone into hiding ....

From the man who pretty much always disappears at the first sight of undisputed Brexit-related bad news that's a bit rich.

For what it's worth, my first reading of this issue was that the UK was further extending its tiresome vaccine nationalism by leaning on AZ to divert its faltering output away from the EU. The more I looked at it the more my view of the UK's position became warmer - the EU seemed to be paying the consequences of being Johnny-come-lately at the vaccine-procuring table.

It is now ostensibly a commercial matter between AZ and the people who have ordered, and I believe paid for, billions of pounds' worth of goods.

We can't ignore the background however. The UK government's recent vaccine posturing has been that of a golf-club bore and if it can provoke Europe's most gentle-mannered nation to this sort of reaction then it really needs to think again. Antediluvian Brexiteers won't agree but the government needs to intervene to try and sort this out. If it means sharing some of the pain of vaccine shortages with "our friends and allies" so be it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
From the man who pretty much always disappears at the first sight of undisputed Brexit-related bad news that's a bit rich.

For what it's worth, my first reading of this issue was that the UK was further extending its tiresome vaccine nationalism by leaning on AZ to divert its faltering output away from the EU. The more I looked at it the more my view of the UK's position became warmer - the EU seemed to be paying the consequences of being Johnny-come-lately at the vaccine-procuring table.

It is now ostensibly a commercial matter between AZ and the people who have ordered, and I believe paid for, billions of pounds' worth of goods.

We can't ignore the background however. The UK government's recent vaccine posturing has been that of a golf-club bore and if it can provoke Europe's most gentle-mannered nation to this sort of reaction then it really needs to think again. Antediluvian Brexiteers won't agree but the government needs to intervene to try and sort this out. If it means sharing some of the pain of vaccine shortages with "our friends and allies" so be it.

We never know what is round the corner, one minute a vaccine looks like a silver bullet the next its developed resistance and another works and appear better. Co-operation with our friends, neighbours and allies is essential if we are going to get through this

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

There definitely seems to be a major outbreak of " Vaccine Nationalism" amongst the right wing press and the usual suspects on here. It must be a great relief have something to smear on the EU at last.

Any complaints by the EU to the manufacturers will always be dressed up by the press over here as " The EU are Stealing Our Vaccines!" ..... Still, it's nice as they don't have to then tackle the subject of 100,000 fatalities.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There definitely seems to be a major outbreak of " Vaccine Nationalism" amongst the right wing press and the usual suspects on here. It must be a great relief have something to smear on the EU at last.

Any complaints by the EU to the manufacturers will always be dressed up by the press over here as " The EU are Stealing Our Vaccines!" ..... Still, it's nice as they don't have to then tackle the subject of 100,000 fatalities.

Smokescreens for the Brexit disaster, smokescreens for government failure on Covid, its all good for them. Don't ever here look over there...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Quelle surprise ... EU fanboys ride to the defence of the gold stars on blue background once more ... even when any sensible person can see the EU has royally screwed up and it's the EU indulging in 'Vaccine nationalism' and using intemperate language.

When in line for your jabs perhaps you should refuse and ask to have it sent to Brussels instead :thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Quelle surprise ... EU fanboys ride to the defence of the gold stars on blue background once more ... even when any sensible person can see the EU has royally screwed up and it's the EU indulging in 'Vaccine nationalism' and using intemperate language.

When in line for your jabs perhaps you should refuse and ask to have it sent to Brussels instead :thumbsup:

Does seems like they've screwed up but a loss for them won't be a gain for us

But if you get a Brexit benefit out of it, fill your boots now. There's a first for everything...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

But if you get a Brexit benefit out of it, fill your boots now. There's a first for everything...

It does smack of the Captain of the Titanic laughing because the Iceberg has melted a little a bit :lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

The EU's failure in securing enough vaccine at the earliest opportunity is already a 'gain for us' .... UK 11.7% of the population received a dose, EU 27 2.4 %.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The EU's failure in securing enough vaccine at the earliest opportunity is already a 'gain for us' .... UK 11.7% of the population received a dose, EU 27 2.4 %.

Whataboutism on the Brexit thread ? Look over there and run away :flounce:

Why are you posting this as JCFG and not POTG? I'm pretty sure I know, but it would be nice to get it confirmed :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In BREXIT news which should interest NSC's most ardent Loyalist

Loyalist ‘discontent’ with Brexit and NI Protocol ‘growing’ says PSNI ACC Mark McEwan

Discontent in loyalist communities is “growing” over the Northern Ireland protocol, a senior police officer has said.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/loyalist-discontent-brexit-and-ni-protocol-growing-says-psni-acc-mark-mcewan-3114336

Still, at least you knew what you were voting for :facepalm:
I very much doubt most people in Great Britain care much about Northern Ireland. In fact, most people my generation have a poor view of the country given the attacks over here which affected many of us.

I think the agreement sold the unionists down the river. It will be interesting to see where the political tensions will manifest. I wonder if the unionists will replicate the Catholics and start a terrorist campaign in the south?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Why are you posting this as JCFG and not POTG? I'm pretty sure I know, but it would be nice to get it confirmed :thumbsup:

In light of the warning that’s been posted elsewhere can you explain why you continue to bait JCFG? Please just give it a rest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

You have no idea why failings in the EU might impact the Brexit debate then.

Great Edit by the way .... well worth the wait :lolol:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

Look what they've done to you. look what you've been reduced to, petty mud slinging. My Dad's bigger than your dad. You don't feel at any moment your intelligence has been insulted?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here