Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's quite certain that NI will become a part of Eire within the next 5-10 years, the Scots will argue for independence and will get it eventually unless the Tories and to a lesser extent Labour, become far more supportive of Scotland financially.....and that isn't going to happen.

presumably you are unaware of the subsidy from England to Scotland, about 20% more spent on public services.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Why would Scotland argue for independence because we don't support them financially? That would be like a small boy deciding to leave home because mum and dad refuse to upgrade his playstation and give him more pocket money. I think the correct answer would be 'off you go, then; see you in ten minutes'.

They think that Westminster government does not care about them, there's plenty of that in the northern regions of England too, The SNP will keep beating the drum and saying " The government doesn't care, we do, we can make a difference "

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
presumably you are unaware of the subsidy from England to Scotland, about 20% more spent on public services.

That does not seem to be working though ? Why do they keep electing SNP politicians, it's strange ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They think that Westminster government does not care about them, there's plenty of that in the northern regions of England too, The SNP will keep beating the drum and saying " The government doesn't care, we do, we can make a difference "

Good point. I have a naive tendency to overestimate the intelligence of the electorate. And after the Brexit referendum, too. My bad.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
That does not seem to be working though ? Why do they keep electing SNP politicians, it's strange ?

no i suppose it isnt working. maybes, spending more on public services isnt the answer to everything.

I swear all the brexiteers on these threads just spout the same one word answers to prove a point and offer NO actual argument and just paste articles from pro Brexit newspapers as is that means they are in the right.

Guys, you're just putting your fingers in your ears and ignoring the truths that Brexit is not going to work as well as you hoped. Business's are not shouting from the roof tops for the sake of it. Our financial services are not issuing warning for the sake of it.

The fact our own government is telling businesses to go to the EU so they can continue trade, just says it all.

It's ok though, you got your blue passports and some shitty resemblane of independence.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Good point. I have a naive tendency to overestimate the intelligence of the electorate. And after the Brexit referendum, too. My bad.

Having worked in schools for the last 26 years, I can attest that average intelligence is a pretty low starting point. It is easy to forget this if you are in the company of professionals, university students or younger and streamed at school. Most people in my experience do not want to think, but would rather be told. The kind of manipulation expressed in the Brexit vote is a case in point and I say this as someone who wanted Brexit but for long-established reasons most of which were not the main campaign points which were emphasised for an emotional and fearful response.

With reflection I dislike the Brexit campaign the more I think about it, but the tragedy for those wishing to remain is that instead of promoting the EU positively, they were reactive and tried to counterbalance the other side - which back-fired spectacularly.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Having worked in schools for the last 26 years, I can attest that average intelligence is a pretty low starting point. It is easy to forget this if you are in the company of professionals, university students or younger and streamed at school. Most people in my experience do not want to think, but would rather be told. The kind of manipulation expressed in the Brexit vote is a case in point and I say this as someone who wanted Brexit but for long-established reasons most of which were not the main campaign points which were emphasised for an emotional and fearful response.

With reflection I dislike the Brexit campaign the more I think about it, but the tragedy for those wishing to remain is that instead of promoting the EU positively, they were reactive and tried to counterbalance the other side - which back-fired spectacularly.

They were perfectly free to promote EU positivity but it was just too hard!

Think of every Brexit commentary expressed in the last 4 years - how many were excited at the prospect of a United States of Europe? Mediocrity was the preference. Also, why don't people want to live in Scotland?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just bought the new “delux” Bicep album (3LP with 12” gatefold sleeve on Curious Matter, printed colour and Pantone with 3 x 140g 12” neon orange transparent vinyl housed in purple paper inner sleeves and Includes 3 additional B-sides if you’re wondering)

This has a whopping 20% extra for customs and import duty.

Great work Britain!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I swear all the brexiteers on these threads just spout the same one word answers to prove a point and offer NO actual argument and just paste articles from pro Brexit newspapers as is that means they are in the right.

Guys, you're just putting your fingers in your ears and ignoring the truths that Brexit is not going to work as well as you hoped. Business's are not shouting from the roof tops for the sake of it. Our financial services are not issuing warning for the sake of it.

The fact our own government is telling businesses to go to the EU so they can continue trade, just says it all.

It's ok though, you got your blue passports and some shitty resemblane of independence.

At the moment I doubt Brexit is affecting Brexiteers too much. But once the freezers in Iceland start to empty, they realize there’s a limit on fags and booze in Calais and their week in Benidorm isn’t as easy as it was they will surely have a rethink? Or maybe the think in rethink is a step too far?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
They were perfectly free to promote EU positivity but it was just too hard!

Think of every Brexit commentary expressed in the last 4 years - how many were excited at the prospect of a United States of Europe? Mediocrity was the preference. Also, why don't people want to live in Scotland?

I agree they were free to promote the EU positively. They didn't do a very good job.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

When you entertain us with such patronising generalisations, I can't help but picture you stroking a wispy beard whilst fiddling at your leather elbow pads on your corduroy jacket.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Just bought the new “delux” Bicep album (3LP with 12” gatefold sleeve on Curious Matter, printed colour and Pantone with 3 x 140g 12” neon orange transparent vinyl housed in purple paper inner sleeves and Includes 3 additional B-sides if you’re wondering)

This has a whopping 20% extra for customs and import duty.

Great work Britain!

still not clear if this is VAT marked as "customs and import" or actual customs costs. VAT is supposed to be charged at rate of buyer's country, after discounting the local country VAT - is this not happening? then the courier company may charge customs handling fees where they have to check for and collect any VAT due. this is how it has been for imports from outside EU. in theory they shouldnt add fees once system is setup properly, if there's no VAT to collect.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
still not clear if this is VAT marked as "customs and import" or actual customs costs. VAT is supposed to be charged at rate of buyer's country, after discounting the local country VAT - is this not happening? then the courier company may charge customs handling fees where they have to check for and collect any VAT due. this is how it has been for imports from outside EU. in theory they shouldnt add fees once system is setup properly, if there's no VAT to collect.

If you look at the post I made on the previous page, the details are very clear

And back on topic.

This is quite a useful guide as it details the extra charges you have to be aware of when shopping online from the EU

Online shopping charges have changed since Brexit - everything you need to know

Shoppers around the UK are being caught out by extra charges when ordering from online retailers based in the European Union.Additional charges, including customs duties and VAT on parcels sent to the UK, are part of post-Brexit life.Customs declaration forms are required to be filled out by EU retailers sending packages to the UK. This means that shoppers may also have to pay customs or VAT charges on their purchase.

https://www.scotsman.com/read-this/online-shopping-charges-have-changed-brexit-everything-you-need-know-3109815

Certainly more helpful than the Government website for tax and goods sent from abroad

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad

The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules on tax and customs on goods sent from abroad now apply. This page is currently out of date. :annoyed:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
600m GBP per week businesses should be better off by

[tweet]1353620364958511104[/tweet]

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If you look at the post I made on the previous page, the details are very clear

sure, there should be VAT added. its not clear if this is being mis-recorded as customs, a processing fee charged a % fee seperate to VAT, if there is a VAT discount.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here