Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
More like, it didn't affect me so I couldn't give a toss if some of the poorest Greeks died. Nice attitude to have.

So much for European solidarity :rolleyes: It was always the case that I'm alright jack types were more likely to vote Remain endorsing crushing austerity on the poorest in the EU club :down:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
'No Deal' is obviously damaging for all sides which is why numerous contingency/emergency measures would be introduced to mitigate the worst effects which I pointed out to you months ago. This myth we would go crawling back/survive for just one week is nonsense.

In 53 days, rightio :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Numerous peeps on here seem content with the awful austerity inflicted on Greece are they Heartless or just a bit xenophobic?

The austerity imposed on Greece was necessary at the time. It is helping them to recover. The Greeks themselves realise it, even though it was painful at the time.
I've just posted the latest figures for unemployment, where there has been a marked improvement over the last 6 years.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But the act doesn't prevent all amendments.

The Act requires that future amendments must be made by treaty. It doesn't say there can't be such treaties.
It also says there are some cases (listed in section 4 of the Act) which would require a referendum. Have you got a copy of section 4?

4 Cases where treaty or Article 48(6) decision attracts a referendum
(1)Subject to subsection (4), a treaty or an Article 48(6) decision falls within this section if it involves one or more of the following—
(a)the extension of the objectives of the EU as set out in Article 3 of TEU;
(b)the conferring on the EU of a new exclusive competence;
(c)the extension of an exclusive competence of the EU;
(d)the conferring on the EU of a new competence shared with the member States;
(e)the extension of any competence of the EU that is shared with the member States;
(f)the extension of the competence of the EU in relation to—
(i)the co-ordination of economic and employment policies, or
(ii)common foreign and security policy;
(g)the conferring on the EU of a new competence to carry out actions to support, co-ordinate or supplement the actions of member States;
(h)the extension of a supporting, co-ordinating or supplementing competence of the EU;
(i)the conferring on an EU institution or body of power to impose a requirement or obligation on the United Kingdom, or the removal of any limitation on any such power of an EU institution or body;
(j)the conferring on an EU institution or body of new or extended power to impose sanctions on the United Kingdom;
(k)any amendment of a provision listed in Schedule 1 that removes a requirement that anything should be done unanimously, by consensus or by common accord;
(l)any amendment of Article 31(2) of TEU (decisions relating to common foreign and security policy to which qualified majority voting applies) that removes or amends the provision enabling a member of the Council to oppose the adoption of a decision to be taken by qualified majority voting;
(m)any amendment of any of the provisions specified in subsection (3) that removes or amends the provision enabling a member of the Council, in relation to a draft legislative act, to ensure the suspension of the ordinary legislative procedure.
(2)Any reference in subsection (1) to the extension of a competence includes a reference to the removal of a limitation on a competence.
(3)The provisions referred to in subsection (1)(m) are—
(a)Article 48 of TFEU (social security),
(b)Article 82(3) of TFEU (judicial co-operation in criminal matters), and
(c)Article 83(3) of TFEU (particularly serious crime with a cross-border dimension).
(4)A treaty or Article 48(6) decision does not fall within this section merely because it involves one or more of the following—
(a)the codification of practice under TEU or TFEU in relation to the previous exercise of an existing competence;
(b)the making of any provision that applies only to member States other than the United Kingdom;
(c)in the case of a treaty, the accession of a new member State.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/12/section/4/enacted I have realised that my previous link was to a page as the legislation stands, on the left of the page you can choose to see the legislation as enacted.

I have highlighted in bold the exempt changes, those that would not require a referendum, it is shorter.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure that's a lot of comfort to those that lost their jobs, their homes and in some cases their lives.

You seem more concerned over something that happened 3000 miles away over 6 years ago and ignoring what is right under your nose. How many people have died this winter due to being homeless, right here in the UK?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Would that be the hand that is tied behind our back?

This isn't about sides, we have a 'Deep and Special Relationship' with the EU, remember?

With the current Negotiating team and parliamentary arithmetic and all the forces in this country that can't accept a democratic result ... unfortunately, you may be right.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You seem more concerned over something that happened 3000 miles away over 6 years ago and ignoring what is right under your nose. How many people have died this winter due to being homeless, right here in the UK?

This. He’s not fooling anyone with this faux concern for the Greek people. Frankly, its desperate.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm not more concerned about the Greeks than our homeless .... where have I said that ? THIS thread is about Brexit and therefore I'm concerned about ensuring we leave an organisation ( because we CAN leave it, we can't leave the UK government ) that allowed people in Greece to die just to ensure the safety of that organisations political project. I'm sure if the UK government did something, let's say Windrush, that killed people all in the the name of it's political objectives you'd voice objection ..... oh :facepalm:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'll not more concerned about the Greeks than our homeless .... where have I said that ? THIS thread is about Brexit and therefore I'm concerned about ensuring we leave an organisation ( because we CAN leave it, we can't leave the UK government ) that allowed people in Greece to die just to ensure the safety of that organisations project. I'm sure if the UK government did something, let's say Windrush, that killed people all in the the name of it's political objectives you'd voice objection ..... oh :facepalm:

People’s leave vote has contributed to the death of Homeless people. Or people as they should be called. Undeniably.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The austerity imposed on Greece was necessary at the time. It is helping them to recover. The Greeks themselves realise it, even though it was painful at the time.
I've just posted the latest figures for unemployment, where there has been a marked improvement over the last 6 years.

Well, that's alright then ... employment has improved in the UK by a far bigger margin (record employment) after Tory imposed austerity. So that validates the austerity?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

This. He’s not fooling anyone with this faux concern for the Greek people. Frankly, its desperate.

The plight of the Greek people seems more important than upholding The Good Friday Agreement to him too.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What is this ? A competition to see which governing authority is the worst ? Yes, that is also disgusting ..... of course if the EU had allowed us to remove the VAT from tampons years ago when Brown asked they would have been cheaper.

A fair criticism of the EU, even though this problem has been identified and the amendment to legislation written, it does not come into effect for ages. It should not take so long to right wrongs, this is an issue of the political machinery of the EU.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
'No Deal' is obviously damaging for all sides which is why numerous contingency/emergency measures would be introduced to mitigate the worst effects which I pointed out to you months ago. This myth we would go crawling back/survive for just one week is nonsense.

Quite right too Footy Genius - '3 weeks maximum' is what's being said in Paris and Berlin on how long we'd last before we give up the pretence. It might be fun while it lasts though - did people in Middle Earth phone 999 about KFC too when it closed last February like happened in Hastings?

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Deliberately destroying landing card records from the Windrush is not a mistake. She is still compounding that by chartering a plane to deport 50 of them this very week.

She didn't destroy any landing cards and she didn't charter that plane, sorry but it's clear like so many Europhiles on this thread you have zero compassion for your fellow poor disenfranchised EU citizens. :nono:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

This reeks of toryism doesnt it, step 1) allow banks and corporates to leverage different market orientated debt mechanisms, step 2) the Politicians supporting step 1, point to positive economic performance indicators based on debt, step 3) the proponents of steps 1 and 2 congratulate themselves with national honours and seats on boards, step 4) debt levels become unsustainable which threatens the banks and the poor pick up the consequences via austerity, while the bankers and politicians escape responsibility.

If the Greeks deserve it so did the UK in 2008, the root causes are the same.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, that's alright then ... employment has improved in the UK by a far bigger margin (record employment) after Tory imposed austerity. So that validates the austerity?

Zero hours contracts for two hours a week putting more people onto Universal Credit doesn't validate austerity.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With the current Negotiating team and parliamentary arithmetic and all the forces in this country that can't accept a democratic result ... unfortunately, you may be right.

You may believe that 52% of the voters voted to Leave come what may. I do NOT believe that and suspect that a decisive minority voted Leave on the basis the NHS would get money and we'd get a Deal, the easiest Deal in history.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Quite right too Footy Genius - '3 weeks maximum' is what's being said in Paris and Berlin on how long we'd last before we give up the pretence. It might be fun while it lasts though - did people in Middle Earth phone KFC too when it closed last February like happened in Hastings?

People in Middle earth are all down Spoons doing our patriotic duty supporting UK business getting rat arsed. Obviously, 5th column types are all flocking to the local continental wine bar moaning on about the plebs that go to Spoons. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here