Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There were a number of meetings / negotiations that went to the wire in the episode ..... admittedly all to do with saving the Euro. It gives the impression that the EU will back down, but only at the last minute, if they think their project is at risk. I'd suggest the project is at risk due to Brexit but others will most likely disagree.

The Uk looks closer to falling apart over Brexit than the EU does.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It would prevent us joining the Euro without a referendum, because to do so, the provisions inserted into the Maastricht treaty to exempt Britain from the Euro would have to be amended.
But the act doesn't prevent all amendments.

The Act requires that future amendments must be made by treaty. It doesn't say there can't be such treaties.
It also says there are some cases (listed in section 4 of the Act) which would require a referendum. Have you got a copy of section 4?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Where have I ever suggested I'm happy with corruption in this country ? This thread is about leaving the EU, feel free to start another about dealing with corruption in the UK.

I use capitals because to try and hammer home the point because you KEEP excusing the EU's disgusting and DEADLY actions against Greece ..... and with less ramifications aganist Italy. Nothing like ensuring a democratically elected national leader is pushed out of power .... the EU would NEVER do that !

Numerous peeps on here seem content with the awful austerity inflicted on Greece are they Heartless or just a bit xenophobic?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Seems to me that the EU couldn't win:

- if they hadn't bailed out Greece then it would have meant the melt-down of the greek economy

Which could also be re-written as 'if the EU hadn't bailed out Greece it would have meant the end of their Eurozone project' or indeed, in a more short form, 'save their own skins'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Domestic producers lose all their protection from imports from low tax, low workers rights, low environmental standards areas of production.
Yes. That wasn't being discussed.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Numerous peeps on here seem content with the awful austerity inflicted on Greece are they Heartless or just a bit xenophobic?

More like, it didn't affect me so I couldn't give a toss if some of the poorest Greeks died. Nice attitude to have.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Shocking isn't it, that people die when economic damage is done to their country, yet if I suggest that will happen here, it becomes project fear 2.0

Quite, Homeless people are already dying here because of austerity. That is indisputable.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
More like, it didn't affect me so I couldn't give a toss if some of the poorest Greeks dies. Nice attitude to have.

How do you feel about homeless people dying here because of austerity. Austerity that would be over now if we weren't haemorrhaging money on Brexit? Brexit is killing people. Do you think it's worth it?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Which could also be re-written as 'if the EU hadn't bailed out Greece it would have meant the end of their Eurozone project' or indeed, in a more short form, 'save their own skins'.

"Their" presumably refers to the collective good? I struggle to connect with the reflexive cynicism that 'informs' such a comment. Who are 'they' and how do they differ from 'us'?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Shocking isn't it, that people die when economic damage is done to their country, yet if I suggest that will happen here, it becomes project fear 2.0

Feel free to compare the Greek economy of 9 million people when the EU imposed austerity to our economy of 65 million people now. Not even similar. I'll concede you were right when our ambulances don't have the fuel to operate, people have to take their own bedding to hospital and 1 in 4 are unemployed.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Feel free to compare the Greek economy of 9 million people when the EU imposed austerity to our economy of 65 million people now. Not even similar. I'll concede you were right when our ambulances don't have the fuel to operate, people have to take their own bedding to hospital and 1 in for is unemployed.

How about teenage girls in the UK that cannot afford tampons?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I would guess they are probably on the same side as many on here, the side of common sense as oppose to the fantasy that we realistically could go 'no deal' for more than a week.

You know, the same side that aren't sure the Nissan decision is completely negated by the good news from Oldham :shrug:

'No Deal' is obviously damaging for all sides which is why numerous contingency/emergency measures would be introduced to mitigate the worst effects which I pointed out to you months ago. This myth we would go crawling back/survive for just one week is nonsense.

One example of Withdrawing investment (no job losses - big news) compared to one example of increased investment (more jobs - small news) in leave constituencies makes no difference to the big picture which I pointed out earlier

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
How do you feel about homeless people dying here because of austerity. Austerity that would be over now if we weren't haemorrhaging money on Brexit? Brexit is killing people. Do you think it's worth it?

I find it utterly disgusting that a country in the G7 has ANY homeless people. It's shameful ..... more so that some die. That said I'd like to see the evidence that Brexit costs have made this happen. The EU austerity over doubled the number of Greeks out of work, forced many many Greeks to lose their homes, shutdown basic services. Merkel didn't care, Project EU was more important to her.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
How about teenage girls in the UK that cannot afford tampons?

What is this ? A competition to see which governing authority is the worst ? Yes, that is also disgusting ..... of course if the EU had allowed us to remove the VAT from tampons years ago when Brown asked they would have been cheaper.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If find it utterly disgusting that a country in the G7 has ANY homeless people. It's shameful ..... more so that some die. That said I'd like to see the evidence that Brexit costs have made this happen. The EU austerity over doubled the number of Greeks out of work, forced many many Greeks to lose their homes, shutdown basic services. Merkel didn't care, Project EU was more important to her.

You do realise that our much vaunted employment figures here include zero hours contracted people who maybe only work 2 hours a week. Many of them rely on Universal Credit to get by.

The Greek unemployment is going down and they are getting back on track.
https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/unemployment-rate

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If find it utterly disgusting that a country in the G7 has ANY homeless people. It's shameful ..... more so that some die. That said I'd like to see the evidence that Brexit costs have made this happen. The EU austerity over doubled the number of Greeks out of work, forced many many Greeks to lose their homes, shutdown basic services. Merkel didn't care, Project EU was more important to her.

I don't know how the cost of Brexit coupled with job losses could not have prolonged austerity.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Deliberately destroying landing card records from the Windrush is not a mistake. She is still compounding that by chartering a plane to deport 50 of them this very week.

And that has what exactly to do with us leaving the EU ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Parliament voted for an amendment that didn't carry any legal or legislative weight but I agree it weakens our hand. Sometimes I wonder who's side many of them are on .. as I do on here tbh.

Would that be the hand that is tied behind our back?

This isn't about sides, we have a 'Deep and Special Relationship' with the EU, remember?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here