Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit - Deal we have or Rejoin CU/SM

Should we carry on with the deal we have or should we rejoin the Customs Union/Single Market

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why DO you have to resort to childish hand gestures or c-bomb expletives?
I'm guessing that if NSC didn't want that emoji used when appropriate it wouldn't be on the list of emojis :laugh:

So, anyway, what do you think a brand new neurodiverse poster who'd only been here a couple of weeks would make of it all :shrug:

Last edited:

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I'm sure you're very pleased that you managed to cut and paste some stuff from the Times about the EU's decline in Industrial production, and wedge it in this thread, but I really can't figure out what that has to do with the ever increasing overheads of trading between the UK and EU. And you can quote and then knock down any theories you fancy.

Divergence, which is what has been happening from day 1 simply increases the costs of both the UK and the EU of doing business with their biggest trading partner and none of this consequential decreasing trade is being replaced by the much fabled 'free trade deals'.

If it was then it wouldn't have cost the UK economy £100B in the last year alone :shrug:

How's that poll at the top of the page doing ???
You’re really rude. Your post I quoted was about the difficulties involved with all the different EU legislation and regulations… my post was specifically relevant to that ..? I just said I thought it was interesting and it was only in the paper a couple of days ago so I thought I’d post it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You’re really rude. Your post I quoted was about the difficulties involved with all the different EU legislation and regulations… my post was specifically relevant to that ..? I just said I thought it was interesting and it was only in the paper a couple of days ago so I thought I’d post it.

I'm sorry if you thought it was rude, but your post had absolutely nothing to do with the daily increasing cost of divergence, the whole point of my post :shrug:

The fact that the article you are quoting excerpts from was written by Iain Martin, the well know ex-editor of the Sunday Telegraph and self proclaimed Brexit supporter who believes that Nigel Farage should be given a peerage, is of course, neither here nor there :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Martin

Last edited:

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I'm sorry if you thought it was rude, but your post had absolutely nothing to do with the daily increasing cost of divergence, the whole point of my post :shrug:

The fact that the article you are quoting excerpts from was written by Iain Martin, the well know ex-editor of the Sunday Telegraph and self proclaimed Brexit supporter who believes that Nigel Farage should be given a peerage, is of course, neither here nor there :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Martin
Neither of your replies to me have reflected on the content of my post… if you think it is incorrect then explain why - it sounds like it’s simply someone you disagree with who wrote it so you have simply dismissed it out of hand. Imagine that !! 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Neither of your replies to me have reflected on the content of my post… if you think it is incorrect then explain why - it sounds like it’s simply someone you disagree with who wrote it so you have simply dismissed it out of hand. Imagine that !! 😊
Well, when someone who has a years'-long track record of agitating for a particular agenda, on a professional basis, makes assertions, it is right to question them. In some cases it is best to dismiss them. It would take a naivety of newborn proportions to find such witterings 'interesting'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not necessarily so WZ - I thought this was interesting in The Times this week:

The theory, worked up by pro-European think tanks, is that if we voluntarily aligned with the EU on industrial rules or veterinary and agricultural standards, and agreed to adopt and observe many regulations from Brussels in key areas, trade would become easier and we’d get pulled up by the mighty bloc next door.

The theory doesn’t work so well when you look at the numbers. This month EU industrial production data is flashing a red alarm. It is down by 2.9 per cent in the euro area and by 2.5 per cent in the EU compared with May last year. This worrying development — industrial decline tends to increase political instability — may be down to the aftermath of the energy shock after the full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

Unfortunately, it is about to be followed by the impact of President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act, which subsidises US industry and technology with $360 billion. That great sucking sound is the disastrous de-industrialisation of the Continent getting under way as the US state aid bonanza sucks jobs and production out of an uncompetitive EU — and, if we are not careful, the UK too.

The EU leadership knows it has a serious problem, which is why Mario Draghi, a former prime minister of Italy, was drafted in to come up with a competitiveness plan. His delayed report, anticipated in September, is expected to recommend cutting through the ever-growing thicket of regulations that hinder growth.
Your 'not necessarily so' reply was to a post that explains why "Brexit didn't stop when the referendum took place or when Johnson 'Got it done' "

It implies you think Brexit did stop. i.e., everything triggered by Brexit is now settled, all arrangements in place, nothing more to see here.

I am not surprised at the incredulity of @WATFORD zero. To back up you comment you post a load of stuff that has nothing to do with why WZ is wrong. Or 'not necessarily' correct.

What has a month's EU industrial production data got to do with the finality of our Brexit arrangements? What has changes in the way the US deal with foreign trading blocks got to do with whether our Brexit arrangements are settled or not?

There are countless articles reporting the multiple aspects of life that will require further discussion with the EU to resolve. Here is one by CNN (mildly right of centre US media company) from a year ago. There haven't been recent updates because so little has changed:

WZ may have been a bit fierce (I can see the cornflake splutter projectile in my mind's eye) but you can surely see why. A comment that suggests he's wrong backed up by irrelevance (and from what he considers is a tainted source).

Anyway.... it is what it is :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I think @Harry Wilson's tackle has given a very eloquent reply that I agree with, (except the cornflakes :lolol:). However to be absolutely clear.

Iain Martin has used that opinion piece that you are quoting (unsourced) excerpts from, to come up with some half arsed theory about the UK abiding by all EU regulations (even though we don't and never have) in order to publicise a completely unrelated figure about the EU's decline in Industrial production.

Exactly what I said in my first post, which you thought was me being really rude :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, purchased the new Albion kit for my god son. Kit plus shipping was 80 pounds. Had to pay 31.23 euros in tax etc to recieve it. That's exactly a third of the price extra. Gotta love Brexit!

It's the same with vinyl I buy from Resident.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here