Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit - Deal we have or Rejoin CU/SM

Should we carry on with the deal we have or should we rejoin the Customs Union/Single Market

• Total voters

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Unfortunately you can't leave Brexit where it is. Apart from the fact that, as part of the deal, it has to be reviewed every 5 years, there's the simple fact that on day 1 the EU had the same laws as the UK. Now everytime a rule on animal welfare, husbandry, medicines, agricultural fertilisers, fungicides, weedkillers, medicines, chemical additives and a million and one other regulations gets changed, it means lots of new processes, tests and documentation are required for anything which is exported or imported from/to the EU.

If Brexit had been left 'as it was' and various regulations not been changed already, we would be spending tens of millions million less than we are on regulating imports (or as JRM put it 'An act of self harm') which is increasing every month, as the UK and EU diverge. Brexit didn't stop when the referendum took place or when Johnson 'Got it done' :wink:
Not necessarily so WZ - I thought this was interesting in The Times this week:

The theory, worked up by pro-European think tanks, is that if we voluntarily aligned with the EU on industrial rules or veterinary and agricultural standards, and agreed to adopt and observe many regulations from Brussels in key areas, trade would become easier and we’d get pulled up by the mighty bloc next door.

The theory doesn’t work so well when you look at the numbers. This month EU industrial production data is flashing a red alarm. It is down by 2.9 per cent in the euro area and by 2.5 per cent in the EU compared with May last year. This worrying development — industrial decline tends to increase political instability — may be down to the aftermath of the energy shock after the full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

Unfortunately, it is about to be followed by the impact of President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act, which subsidises US industry and technology with $360 billion. That great sucking sound is the disastrous de-industrialisation of the Continent getting under way as the US state aid bonanza sucks jobs and production out of an uncompetitive EU — and, if we are not careful, the UK too.

The EU leadership knows it has a serious problem, which is why Mario Draghi, a former prime minister of Italy, was drafted in to come up with a competitiveness plan. His delayed report, anticipated in September, is expected to recommend cutting through the ever-growing thicket of regulations that hinder growth.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do ya reckon?

I know it’s hot out there but….
Well, all the sane ones want to rejoin the single market and to get freedom of movement back.

The rest are all old and will die soon.

So let’s not fanny about.

Rejoining is the future.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When I voted for Keir, I thought he was clear about leaving Brexit as it was, has he changed on this?
I am really no Brexit fan, but I also don't want the country arguing about this for another eight years.
You were right. Rejoining the EU has been ruled out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Everything in the present plans is now. Anything in the future that digresses from the present plans is speculation.

We will need a national clamour to trigger a negotiation to join (not rejoin - the bond is broken). Farage doesn't have much traction, but he certainly would do if Labour mad it an aim.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Everything in the present plans is now. Anything in the future that digresses from the present plans is speculation.

We will need a national clamour to trigger a negotiation to join (not rejoin - the bond is broken). Farage doesn't have much traction, but he certainly would do if Labour mad it an aim.
Softly softly catchy monkey.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Softly softly catchy monkey.
I'm not objecting to your vision. But you will agree there is a lot of wood and a lot of trees in the way of the sunny lowlands.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Like it or not, we HAVE to rejoin the EU. We’ll probably be offered crap terms, but we could strive to change club rules from within. We have to get there first !

Each and every one of us, our children and their children have been shafted by a bunch of self righteous, pig ignorant shisters. I don’t know about you, but I’m reluctant to wait another 25 years for one apparent benefit of Brexit to become apparent.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Like it or not, we HAVE to rejoin the EU. We’ll probably be offered crap terms, but we could strive to change club rules from within. We have to get there first !

Each and every one of us, our children and their children have been shafted by a bunch of self righteous, pig ignorant shisters. I don’t know about you, but I’m reluctant to wait another 25 years for one apparent benefit of Brexit to become apparent.
100%

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It wouldn’t be easy. There’s a lot of thickos still left.
The first thing we have to do is to make them realise they've ben conned. At the moment a lot of Brexiters still think it'll come good and, no matter how mush the evidence stacks up, we're better off out of it.
I know a bloke who, 15 years ago, couldn't give a hoot about Europe; now he is a rabid Brexiter/Faragist (Daily Mail, GB News, talks utter bollocks about immigrants) and when confronted with problems caused by Brexit his only answer is "Well I think we'll be ok". He's the sort of divot we have to convince and it's not going to be easy.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not necessarily so WZ - I thought this was interesting in The Times this week:

The theory, worked up by pro-European think tanks, is that if we voluntarily aligned with the EU on industrial rules or veterinary and agricultural standards, and agreed to adopt and observe many regulations from Brussels in key areas, trade would become easier and we’d get pulled up by the mighty bloc next door.

The theory doesn’t work so well when you look at the numbers. This month EU industrial production data is flashing a red alarm. It is down by 2.9 per cent in the euro area and by 2.5 per cent in the EU compared with May last year. This worrying development — industrial decline tends to increase political instability — may be down to the aftermath of the energy shock after the full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

Unfortunately, it is about to be followed by the impact of President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act, which subsidises US industry and technology with $360 billion. That great sucking sound is the disastrous de-industrialisation of the Continent getting under way as the US state aid bonanza sucks jobs and production out of an uncompetitive EU — and, if we are not careful, the UK too.

The EU leadership knows it has a serious problem, which is why Mario Draghi, a former prime minister of Italy, was drafted in to come up with a competitiveness plan. His delayed report, anticipated in September, is expected to recommend cutting through the ever-growing thicket of regulations that hinder growth.

I'm sure you're very pleased that you managed to cut and paste some stuff from the Times about the EU's decline in Industrial production, and wedge it in this thread, but I really can't figure out what that has to do with the ever increasing overheads of trading between the UK and EU. And you can quote and then knock down any theories you fancy.

Divergence, which is what has been happening from day 1 simply increases the costs of both the UK and the EU of doing business with their biggest trading partner and none of this consequential decreasing trade is being replaced by the much fabled 'free trade deals'.

If it was then it wouldn't have cost the UK economy £100B in the last year alone :shrug:

How's that poll at the top of the page doing ???

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

But once we voted to leave other countries would do the same and the whole EU would collapse within 10 years, I read it on here :dunce:

So we'd better be bloody quick if we want to rejoin the CU, SM or EU :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here