Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit - Deal we have or Rejoin CU/SM

Should we carry on with the deal we have or should we rejoin the Customs Union/Single Market

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Just watched this. Says so much...

The Brexit Scandal - What if Brexit was ultimately not about the “will of the people” at all, but about the interests of a small British elite?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Yes ... yes it does. :moo:
I am intrigued as to how you watched a 52 minute video in 6 minutes.

However, I'm glad we can agree; you might enjoy this too..... not sure about the emoji though; are you lost for words?

Last edited:

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
I am intrigued as to how you watched a 52 minute video in 6 minutes.

However, I'm glad we can agree; you might enjoy this too..... not sure about the emoji though; are you lost for words?

Apologies, my reply was possibly to subtle. I was agreeing that it says so much about someone when they start their day watching 52 minute youtube clips about Brexit ...

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Is there an option to just shut up about it?
Why would we want to do that if it is successful? Shouldn't we be celebrating all the tangible benefits?

Many people who are still much worse off would really like to hear about them...

I exhort you to watch the videos then respond rather than bury this ongoing self inflicted wound by 'shutting up about it'...

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Apologies, my reply was possibly to subtle. I was agreeing that it says so much about someone when they start their day watching 52 minute youtube clips about Brexit ...
Au contraire; not 'too' subtle, just indecipherable.

What makes you think I watched this today? Wrong again... but you seem to frequently draw conclusions on presumption rather than evidence

Last edited:

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Honestly, regardless of our debate on here, the vast majority of Britain has made up its mind on whether Brexit (even partially implemented) has been a success or not.

Nobody wants to rehash the Brexit debate over the next election, so I suspect it’s going to be completely undiscussed, but we’re going to see pro “closer ties with Europe” parties doing significantly better than anti-Europe parties over the longer term.

As an absolute minimum we’re going to be back in a form of customs union within fifteen years, and life’s going to be pretty rough for us until we are. The city is suffering a slow bleed, imports and exports are slower, more difficult and more expensive.

The modern world is all about interoperability, and we’ve chosen to become an anachronism. I’m sure in the last throes of this government they’ll promise to return us to pounds and ounces and the old money, but I’ll bet you a farthing they won’t when every manufacturer, exporter and importer explains exactly how that messes with their paperwork.

I’m sorry for Brexit’s last defenders on here, but if the last one left could turn out the lights it would be appreciated.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Honestly, regardless of our debate on here, the vast majority of Britain has made up its mind on whether Brexit (even partially implemented) has been a success or not.

Nobody wants to rehash the Brexit debate over the next election, so I suspect it’s going to be completely undiscussed, but we’re going to see pro “closer ties with Europe” parties doing significantly better than anti-Europe parties over the longer term.

As an absolute minimum we’re going to be back in a form of customs union within fifteen years, and life’s going to be pretty rough for us until we are. The city is suffering a slow bleed, imports and exports are slower, more difficult and more expensive.

The modern world is all about interoperability, and we’ve chosen to become an anachronism. I’m sure in the last throes of this government they’ll promise to return us to pounds and ounces and the old money, but I’ll bet you a farthing they won’t when every manufacturer, exporter and importer explains exactly how that messes with their paperwork.

I’m sorry for Brexit’s last defenders on here, but if the last one left could turn out the lights it would be appreciated.
This......

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Just watched this. Says so much...

The Brexit Scandal - What if Brexit was ultimately not about the “will of the people” at all, but about the interests of a small British elite?

What if? It was wasn't it? An added bonus of leaving the EU is being free of all those pesky regulations, now our water companies can pump tonnes of literal shite into our waterways. Control never felt so good.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think we can all agree that we need to rejoin the EU, everyone is at least together on that one. However, this is a great start in the meantime;

“Keir Starmer’s promised “reset” of the UK’s ties with the rest of Europe has drawn a positive response in European media, with one longtime journalist rejoicing that she will never again have to cover “Britain as a basket case”.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I think we can all agree that we need to rejoin the EU, everyone is at least together on that one. However, this is a great start in the meantime;

“Keir Starmer’s promised “reset” of the UK’s ties with the rest of Europe has drawn a positive response in European media, with one longtime journalist rejoicing that she will never again have to cover “Britain as a basket case”.

When I voted for Keir, I thought he was clear about leaving Brexit as it was, has he changed on this?
I am really no Brexit fan, but I also don't want the country arguing about this for another eight years.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

No we don't. We want to rejoin the single market in some form.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When I voted for Keir, I thought he was clear about leaving Brexit as it was, has he changed on this?
I am really no Brexit fan, but I also don't want the country arguing about this for another eight years.

Unfortunately you can't leave Brexit where it is. Apart from the fact that, as part of the deal, it has to be reviewed every 5 years, there's the simple fact that on day 1 the EU had the same laws as the UK. Now any time a rule on animal welfare, husbandry, medicines, agricultural fertilisers, fungicides, weedkillers, medicines, chemical additives and a million and one other regulations and laws gets changed, by either the UK or EU, it means lots of new processes, tests and documentation are required for anything which is exported or imported from/to or has any relationship with the EU.

If Brexit had been left 'as it was' and various regulations not been changed already, we would be spending tens of millions million less than we are on regulating imports (or as JRM put it 'An act of self harm') which is increasing every month, as the UK and EU diverge. Brexit didn't stop when the referendum took place or when Johnson 'Got it done' :wink:

The simple fact is that it continues on a daily basis, it's effects increase and change working practices across the country constantly. And the ongoing relationship with your largest trading partner has to be managed, a job that is taking thousands of people and millions of pounds and increasing daily. That is the result of 'leaving Brexit as it was' :shrug:

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He never said he’d leave Brexit “where it was”.

Quite the opposite. As you can see.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He said he wanted to make Brexit work. Johnson wrote his 'oven-ready' deal on the back of a fag packet, used his 80 seat majority to pass it just a few weeks later despite Christmas in the meantime and declared it done.

It was an awful mishmash of rubbish, so SKS is starting to unravel some of the threads, like cooperating with Interpol, and European security, hand in glove with NATO.
Erasmus was thrown in the bin, but the EU has offered more movement for young people with educational opportunities, and standardising veterinary practices.
Musicians were thrown aside like an oily rag, especially those who play in orchestras and have to apply for a visa to work in every country. That also is one that's being discussed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here