Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford Sign Neil Shipperley

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Dougal said:
So DK is blatantly tellign alie saying McGhee had money to spend ? Surely McGhee would of raised this since leaving.

Wilkins has this budget + some more, and we have west ham money

You are right we will get no - one , but not because we have no money available

just a small point - I would have thought it more accurate to say Wilkins has this money minus a lot that is caused by us being c1000 supporters at £23 each not coming for 11 games.

I suspect that we had some beans - we now have that many beans less a lot of beans.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
SJ's Love Monkey said:

Mainly money and does the player want to come.

according to the other thread there are a lot of people on here who could make him come.

or am I missing something?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Barrel of Fun said:
Because we do not have money to risk, signing rubbish. Particularly after the Turienzo debacle (Sorry Tommy and Bagder ;) ). If Deano and the board do not feel that purchasing a player will add anything to our squad then what is the point? You can get decent loans in... I believe there is money there to spend, but it is not to be squandered. Little risks are fine...Revell, Elder et al.

Rubbish.

We are signing players like that because that is all we can afford. And the DK got his fingers burned 3 or 4 years ago when we could've signed Freddie Eastwood for 10k and he wouldn't sanction it for a non-league player. Funny how we are prepared to sanction it now isn't it?

Are you seriously telling me that there is not a goalscorer out there with more league experience that we could sign, and the stumbling block was not money?

I'm telling you now, we are up a certain creek without a certain paddle, and unless we start getting full houses for home games, that ain't gonna change....

:smokin:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
SJ's Love Monkey said:
Roughly how much do you reckon Dougal?

depends who was available and willing I guess, I reckon there is 300k there , obviously what doesnt get spent is all good but you have to speculate to accumilate somewhen

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Reading this thread is actually quite a sad reflection of a) where we are today as a club and b) our superfan mentality that seems to think everything is all OK because we have a few decent kids, so lets not sign a PROVEN goalscorer because he is Palace Reject.

What UTTER BOLLOCKS.

Anyone with an once of footballing knowledge can see that for almost 2 years now we have been CRYING OUT for someone with experience who can win us games, NOT anymore non-league prospects or loanee kids, just someone with the nouse to beat teams that are technically not as gifted as we are but have been there and done it all at this level.

I'm sick to my bgack teeth of Brentford beating us to signings when their wage structure is lower than ours and their facilities are only marginally better, que all the Falmer arguements etc etc.

NO MORE EXCUSES KNIGHT.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Seagull73 said:
Rubbish.

We are signing players like that because that is all we can afford. And the DK got his fingers burned 3 or 4 years ago when we could've signed Freddie Eastwood for 10k and he wouldn't sanction it for a non-league player. Funny how we are prepared to sanction it now isn't it?

Are you seriously telling me that there is not a goalscorer out there with more league experience that we could sign, and the stumbling block was not money?

I'm telling you now, we are up a certain creek without a certain paddle, and unless we start getting full houses for home games, that ain't gonna change....

:smokin:

Of course the stumbling block for a proven goalscorer is money. But that does not mean we can only afford Elder. Goalscorers are the most expensive to buy! Fallon would have been a decent target, yet he has been sold to Plymouth for £300k. I believe there is money, but not those sort of sums. There are also other stumbling blocks - other teams/facilities/league position/uncertainty of clubs future etc.

There are players out there for £50k or so that may add to our squad.

Is the Eastwood offer a proven fact? I don't remember seeing anything about that... Shame we didn't go for it (if true), but there may have been other factors.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Rougvie said:
Reading this thread is actually quite a sad reflection of a) where we are today as a club and b) our superfan mentality that seems to think everything is all OK because we have a few decent kids, so lets not sign a PROVEN goalscorer because he is Palace Reject.

What UTTER BOLLOCKS.

Anyone with an once of footballing knowledge can see that for almost 2 years now we have been CRYING OUT for someone with experience who can win us games, NOT anymore non-league prospects or loanee kids, just someone with the nouse to beat teams that are technically not as gifted as we are but have been there and done it all at this level.

I'm sick to my bgack teeth of Brentford beating us to signings when their wage structure is lower than ours and their facilities are only marginally better, que all the Falmer arguements etc etc.

NO MORE EXCUSES KNIGHT.

I must admit i find all the angst towards Shipperley a bit confusing, yes he played for Palace SO WHAT he doesn't now. He is a proven scorer at lower level football and has bags of experience and know how, i would have though the would have been an ideal signing for Brighton considering the inexperience in the squad. Oh well.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Why is signing a player on a 2 year deal going to be affected by the 'uncertanty of the clubs future'

When is braindead NSC going to realise that its hardly the major topic of conversation in Faces of a Saturday night.

Get real, (most) players couldnt give a f*** about anything other than being paid and despite what people say, we are good for that even if we dropped down a division.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Barrel of Fun said:

Is the Eastwood offer a proven fact? I don't remember seeing anything about that... Shame we didn't go for it (if true), but there may have been other factors.

I dont think so, I thought it was hearsay that we offered £10k but they wanted a deal that would amount to £100k.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
ROSM said:
I dont think so, I thought it was hearsay that we offered £10k but they wanted a deal that would amount to £100k.

Southend paid 20k for him in the end after a loan deal. We had the option on him before he went to Southend on loan.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Barrel of Fun said:
I believe there is money, there are players out there for £50k or so that may add to our squad.

And where is 50k coming from BoF?

We are losing more money than Pearl Harbour (the film!), and yet people hang on to this notion that there is still some money about for player transfers, I just don't get it?

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Seagull73 said:

We are losing more money than Pearl Harbour (the film!), and yet people hang on to this notion that there is still some money about for player transfers, I just don't get it?

Is it true you received £250k from the West ham Cup game or is that a bit of fantasy?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Seagull73 said:

So why are we looking at so many players if we can't pay for them or is that spin from the club?

Dean Wilkins stated that they will not be name dropping as it is unfair on the fans... Perhaps I am wearing rose tinted spectacles, but I believe we wouldn''t be looking if we had no intention of purchasing any players.

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=96040

E

enigma

Rougvie said:

What UTTER BOLLOCKS.

NO MORE EXCUSES KNIGHT.

Spot on.:clap:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Race said:
He's a West London boy and and he's probably got property there so not much travelling, maybe that was part of the reason.
Spot on. Plus Brentford have just been taken over and new baord will be desperate to avoid relegation. Shame though - he would have been good for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here