Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford Sign Neil Shipperley

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Uncle C said:
Shipperley was a McGhee target - Deano may see things differently:wave:

True. I wondered why people were presuming that we went after him.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Les Biehn said:
because we would be f***ing stupid not to.

Maybe we have better targets to look at than a Palace reject? ;)

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
From what I understood at the time, he was either on £8000 per week at Sheffield United, or that we were asked to pay £8000 per week of his wages, as we were asked to do for Francis Jeffers. Having said that, if we don't sign anyone, it will rightly reflect badly on the board. As the old saying goes, one swallow does not a summer make (referring to the Chesterfield result). The board thought that it did after the Leeds result. We all know what happened. If Gifton Knowle-Williams had been brought in earlier, who knows where we would have finished?

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
West Hoathly Seagull said:
From what I understood at the time, he was either on £8000 per week at Sheffield United, or that we were asked to pay £8000 per week of his wages, as we were asked to do for Francis Jeffers. Having said that, if we don't sign anyone, it will rightly reflect badly on the board. As the old saying goes, one swallow does not a summer make (referring to the Chesterfield result). The board thought that it did after the Leeds result. We all know what happened. If Gifton Knowle-Williams had been brought in earlier, who knows where we would have finished?

I think Shipps was roughly on the same at Palace and even though he is a couple of years older i would imagine he would still want a fair amount to sign

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Hello.... hello.... hello..... Is anybody out there...?? Listen.. listen...

We're skint, we're not going to sign anybody before Jan 31, is anybody listening - we've got no money, nada, neyt, zero, zilch.

We're not going to be able to sign 16 year old kids on 50 quid a week, much less some washed up lard-arse on 8 grand a week.

One of the directors is keeping this club afloat - singlehandedly, our falling gates have now crippled us officially. That so-called transfer money we had has now gone because of it, and we are up shit-creak without a paddle...

Be clear, no money = no signings - period.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
But there is no way in the world Brentford are paying anywhere even close to £8k a week. The money excuse doesn't wash here - they're as skint as us.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Silent Bob said:
But there is no way in the world Brentford are paying anywhere even close to £8k a week. The money excuse doesn't wash here - they're as skint as us.

Not now they're not, some businessman has just taken on their debts.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Seagull73 said:
Hello.... hello.... hello..... Is anybody out there...?? Listen.. listen...

We're skint, we're not going to sign anybody before Jan 31, is anybody listening - we've got no money, nada, neyt, zero, zilch.

We're not going to be able to sign 16 year old kids on 50 quid a week, much less some washed up lard-arse on 8 grand a week.

One of the directors is keeping this club afloat - singlehandedly, our falling gates have now crippled us officially. That so-called transfer money we had has now gone because of it, and we are up shit-creak without a paddle...

Be clear, no money = no signings - period.

DK has said there is money there , even before the West ham game . Not sure why some people say this over and over when we are told different

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Dougal said:
DK has said there is money there , even before the West ham game . Not sure why some people say this over and over when we are told different

Just a thought but if Dick Knight had come out and said 'sorry lads but we are skint and won't be signing any new players in January' then the deflation amongst the fans would have been worse than it is now and he would have come in for even more stick.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Dougal said:

Because that's what we are supposed to hear. I give up, you can all sit there in hope and expect that 'big name' signing, and then all get really f*cked off when it doesn't come.

It's far easier to accept the fact we don't have money and to get on with what we have.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
SJ's Love Monkey said:
Just a thought but if Dick Knight had come out and said 'sorry lads but we are skint and won't be signing any new players in January' then the deflation amongst the fans would have been worse than it is now and he would have come in for even more stick.

As opposed to building up everybodies hope and blaming it on the manager when nobody comes in?

Don't get me wrong McGhee's time had come, but he was hung out to dry, and I've always believed that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Seagull73 said:
Because that's what we are supposed to hear. I give up, you can all sit there in hope and expect that 'big name' signing, and then all get really f*cked off when it doesn't come.

It's far easier to accept the fact we don't have money and to get on with what we have.

So DK is blatantly tellign alie saying McGhee had money to spend ? Surely McGhee would of raised this since leaving.

Wilkins has this budget + some more, and we have west ham money

You are right we will get no - one , but not because we have no money available

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Dougal said:
So DK is blatantly tellign alie saying McGhee had money to spend ? Surely McGhee would of raised this since leaving.

Wilkins has this budget + some more, and we have west ham money

You are right we will get no - one , but not because we have no money available

Why else would it be then Dougal?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
SJ's Love Monkey said:
Why else would it be then Dougal?

Because we do not have money to risk, signing rubbish. Particularly after the Turienzo debacle (Sorry Tommy and Bagder ;) ). If Deano and the board do not feel that purchasing a player will add anything to our squad then what is the point? You can get decent loans in... I believe there is money there to spend, but it is not to be squandered. Little risks are fine...Revell, Elder et al.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Barrel of Fun said:
Because we do not have money to risk, signing rubbish. Particularly after the Turienzo debacle (Sorry Tommy and Bagder ;) ). If Deano and the board do not feel that purchasing a player will add anything to our squad then what is the point? You can get decent loans in... I believe there is money there to spend, but it is not to be squandered. Little risks are fine...Revell, Elder et al.

Fair shout BoF

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Barrel of Fun said:

is the right answer.

I would like to see us maybe risk a little bit more though , especially the way we are struggling.

But to clarify , the money IS there

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
There are players in Non-League football out there Palace have signed a boy called Dave Martin from Dartford this week for £25k, a left winger who by all accounts has electric pace and a hammer of a left peg, now this might work out or it might not but at that price it isnt a risk. A few league clubs were looking at him so hopefully he can make the step up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here