Breaking News: French Plane Disappears

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
My best tip is to sit at the back of the plane, I mean how often do you see a plane reverse into a mountain?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
My best tip is to sit at the back of the plane, I mean how often do you see a plane reverse into a mountain?

I have a better tip. Don't fly !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm off to America next week, so need to try and think of something else to feel safe......

you try to remember the last time you heard of a trans atlantic crash. i cant think of one since Lockerbie. most aircrahes occur near the ariport or over mountains, transatlantic is very safe relativly. also, you are far more likly to die on the roads than on an airplane.

now, what to think of to make yourself feel safe driving...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It takes about 30-40 minutes for a plane to touch down if they lose all power at peak altitude I believe. Therefore, I'd fairly confidently say NO!

Plus, does Greenland even have an AIRPORT? Or at least one big enough to take a massive jet.

I dunno, they must have a nice place to land though?

Ill think ill stick with my using a fatman as an air bag route, where is Mayo going on holiday?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Could have been a lighting strike in turbulence apparently. I was on a plane that got struck by lightning last year, loud bang and f***ing scary but I thought planes were insulated these days and the last large plane downed by lightning was, I believe decades ago.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Could have been a lighting strike in turbulence apparently. I was on a plane that got struck by lightning last year, loud bang and f***ing scary but I thought planes were insulated these days and the last large plane downed by lightning was, I believe decades ago.

Apparently there are three possibilities at this early time.* It seems the plane suddenly dissappeared with no emergency message, so there was probably either:

1) A catastrophic failure of the aircraft;
2) A terrorist attack; or,
3) A huge big massive lightening strike, big enough to wipe out all of the electronics onboard.

*according to timesonline

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Planes work on the Faraday Cage principle. The problem aircraft manufacturers have increasingly is that to limit weight more and more composite materials are being used. Bonding strips are used to "earth" these panels etc but are not that effective against large lightning bolts.

Further to an aircraft gliding, for example 2 b747's one fully loaded one empty at 38000ft both lose their engines above heathrow the lightest will land/crash around Birmingham, the heavy one Inverness area.

I had to do the calculation many years ago when I was doing my HND aeronautics course, part of my aircraft technicians apprenticeship. I wouldn't like to prove it though!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Further to an aircraft gliding, for example 2 b747's one fully loaded one empty at 38000ft both lose their engines above heathrow the lightest will land/crash around Birmingham, the heavy one Inverness area.

I had to do the calculation many years ago when I was doing my HND aeronautics course, part of my aircraft technicians apprenticeship. I wouldn't like to prove it though!

Did you PASS the course? It seems odd to me, as a layman, that the HEAVIER one glides FURTHER....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here