Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BREAKING NEWS: Buckley boost for Albion but another setback for Vicente

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
BREAKING NEWS​
- By Andy Naylor

Albion have Will Buckley back for Saturday's home game against Barnsley.

But Vicente is unlikely to be in the squad, because of continuing fitness concerns.

Buckley sat out the first three matches of the campaign with hamstring trouble.

Boss Gus Poyet said today: "I think he is going to be available."

Vicente was brought off the bench in the closing stages of Tuesday's 0-0 home draw against Cardiff after missing last Saturday's 1-0 defeat at Hull with an inflamed thigh tendon.

Poyet said: "We had Vicente on the bench the other day but he was feeling really, really bad. He couldn't even think about playing.

"We thought he would be better. We pushed him on the pitch for ten minutes but he is not going to be on the bench if he's not better. I've taken that risk once and that's it."

Meanwhile, Poyet has revealed there are no new developments in his striker search.

He said: "We had a very small chance of getting one or two but now they have gone, finished."

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Woohoo

D'oh

D'oh

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He couldn't even think about playing.

Though I think he's a ****ing amazing player, I don't think I've ever come across a footballer who has such an issue with the mental/physical aspect of injury.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
looks to me like no new striker before the window then which is such a shame. We looked good on tuesday and I was impressed and my opinion for what it is worth is that we are one decent foward away from a top 6 push. Without this we will play well in a lot games and not win.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Though I think he's a ****ing amazing player, I don't think I've ever come across a footballer who has such an issue with the mental/physical aspect of injury.

I would take Poyets comments with a pinch of salt. He obviously COULD think about playting because he went on the pitch and played. Looks like Poyet deflecting his own cock up to the player to me by putting him on when he shouldnt have played. And to make matters worse played him out of position where he couldnt even get hold of the ball!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Even from Gus's comments he's clearly fragile in body and mind, even when a players not fully fit they generally want to get out there against the behest of their body. It would seem that just a slight tweek in his body makes him doubt himself, and maybe worried of the terrible latter years at Valencia. Hopefully it's not another long lay off and he's back to his best soon.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Right. So now he has practically said "we will not sign a striker", can we please stop starting ENDLESS f***ing threads every day about 'the' new striker. Lets focus our efforts in getting behind the one/ones we already have.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
looks to me like no new striker before the window then which is such a shame. We looked good on tuesday and I was impressed and my opinion for what it is worth is that we are one decent foward away from a top 6 push. Without this we will play well in a lot games and not win.

I suspect, and hope, Gus was referring to the chance of a new striker before the Barnsley match, not the chance before the window shuts.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Poyet said: "We had Vicente on the bench the other day but he was feeling really, really bad. He couldn't even think about playing.

"We thought he would be better. We pushed him on the pitch for ten minutes but he is not going to be on the bench if he's not better. I've taken that risk once and that's it."

I read this, as:

Vicente told me he wasn't up to playing. I thought "f*** that, he's just being a bloody hypochondriac - I'l MAKE him go out there". But I did, and he was shit, so I'll not bother forcing him again. Let's give him another week off.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
BREAKING NEWS​
- By Andy Naylor

Albion have Will Buckley back for Saturday's home game against Barnsley.

But Vicente is unlikely to be in the squad, because of continuing fitness concerns.

Buckley sat out the first three matches of the campaign with hamstring trouble.

Boss Gus Poyet said today: "I think he is going to be available."

Vicente was brought off the bench in the closing stages of Tuesday's 0-0 home draw against Cardiff after missing last Saturday's 1-0 defeat at Hull with an inflamed thigh tendon.

Meanwhile, Poyet has revealed there are no new developments in his striker search.

He said: "We had a very small chance of getting one or two but now they have gone, finished."

Which is to be believed, Naylor's "he is unlikely to be in the squad" or Gus' " I think he is going to be available"?

Is this a story where there is no story?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Which is to be believed, Naylor's "he is unlikely to be in the squad" or Gus' " I think he is going to be available"?

Is this a story where there is no story?

Vicente = not available.
Buckley = available.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
When you're a professional athlete, I think an injury will cause depression because you can't do what you love. I'd rather we had not played him Tuesday, we were doing well without him. And adding Buckley may compensate, our boys played really well without Vicente - so we're not losing much in the playing sense. Even with Vicente, our finishing still isn't clinical.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I would take Poyets comments with a pinch of salt. He obviously COULD think about playting because he went on the pitch and played. Looks like Poyet deflecting his own cock up to the player to me by putting him on when he shouldnt have played. And to make matters worse played him out of position where he couldnt even get hold of the ball!

Which position did Vicente play against Chelsea?

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
So we need to try something innovative to try and score goals. Toby or Vincelot in the middle and Calderon on the wing at some point.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Well it looks like we won't be signing anyone.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Vicente CLEARLY unfit the other night! Could tell this before he even came on (only warmed up once in 80mins!)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So let's just work with what we have and stop this transfer crap

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Good news if true with Buckley and Vicente is not going to play ever game so not to worried.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here