Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brazil vs The Rest of the Wrold

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Vicente is class.......you surely have to go on how good they have been not how good they have been for 2 months or so....rio hasnt had a great week.....but he is class

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I still think there is very little to choose between Cech and Buffon, but being as I see more of Cech I'd have to say he's my first choice.

Cannot think of one single occasion in which he's put a foot wrong since he arrived in England

E

enigma

Brighton Boy said:
Vicente is class.......you surely have to go on how good they have been not how good they have been for 2 months or so....rio hasnt had a great week.....but he is class

Agreed. I think he's an excellent player, but he has hardly played in the last year or so.

Nedved is better anyway. Not as skilful but better.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Agreed BlueJuice but buffon hasnt put a foot wrong in his career he is a world class keepr and has been on top of his game pretty much since day 1

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Bluejuice said:
I still think there is very little to choose between Cech and Buffon, but being as I see more of Cech I'd have to say he's my first choice.

Cannot think of one single occasion in which he's put a foot wrong since he arrived in England

agree cech is a top keeper....

buffon was way ahead at the top til cech really came on the scene........

not alot to seperate them but Buffon just has the edge for me.....

E

enigma

RonnieO'Sullivan said:
agree cech is a top keeper....

buffon was way ahead at the top til cech really came on the scene........

not alot to seperate them but Buffon just has the edge for me.....

Buffon is awesome.

Cech is very good, but plays in front of a very good defence, although having said that the Juve defence is pretty good too.

I remember seeing Buffon aged 18/19 come on as sub against Russia in a playoff game for the World Cup in freezing temperatures, making his debut for Italy, and he ended up as man of the match. Class.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I guess Buffon has been at the top level for longer.

I remember the days when Football Italia was on channel 4 and I used to see him week in week out playing for Parma. James Richardson and Peter Brackley used to orgasm over how good he was. And they weren't wrong.

I thought at the time how there was nobody comparable in English football. But now we have Cech we are very lucky.

But perhaps Buffon does edge it based on being top of his game for longer

E

enigma

Bluejuice said:

I remember the days when Football Italia was on channel 4 and I used to see him week in week out playing for Parma. James Richardson and Peter Brackley used to orgasm over how good he was. And they weren't wrong.

I thought at the time how there was nobody comparable in English football. But now we have Cech we are very lucky.

That's it. I don't think there is anyone as good as Buffon, he's been doing it for years.

Cech is undoubtedly the best after him though, and miles better than anyone else around his age.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Bluejuice said:

top post fella :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

them commentators did used to love it.......

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I miss football Italia.

The Gazetta of a Saturday morning was my main reason for getting up and was even better than football focus for my money.

What does James Richardson do now anyway? I'm sure I've seen him since but I can't think where.

Sadly I don't have Sky so my intake of live football is reduced to ITV's champions league games and whatever I get down the pub to watch

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Bluejuice said:
I miss football Italia.

The Gazetta of a Saturday morning was my main reason for getting up and was even better than football focus for my money.

What does James Richardson do now anyway? I'm sure I've seen him since but I can't think where.

Sadly I don't have Sky so my intake of live football is reduced to ITV's champions league games and whatever I get down the pub to watch

He now works for bravo doing Gazetta Football Italia........and i may say its as good as it used to be.....

When i was younger i would get up early.......

Transworld sport - Awesome......The racing which i hate then Football italia

E

enigma

Also writes a hilarious column in the Guardian.

Sid Lowe's column on Spanish football in the Guardian is equally funny.

E

enigma

KinkyGoebels said:
Have you watched Man utd defence so fair this year?

Yes I have. They have had a couple of bad games- but overall they've only let in 5 in 7- hardly disastrous. In fact if anything their problem was scoring enough prior to this weekend.

And when you consider the injuries to Heinze and Neville, you begin to see why they may have had problems, as well as Rio's admittedly dodgy couple of games. Playing Richardson and O'Shea is nowhere near the same thing.

Two things:

A- United's defence was pretty mean last year-and Ferdinand contributed to that.

B- Do you really think they would have given him a mssive new contract if they thought he was that shit?

I think Ferdinand is inconsistent, but if you think he's shit, you're barking up the wrong tree.

E

enigma

DJ Leon said:
Is he? Are Man United watertight when he plays? Love to see some stats to prove that. I think that since he's joined, Man United have lost their reputation for being mean at the back. Without their quality upfront they would certainly have struggled even more the last couple of seasons.

I disagree. If anything, they've struggled due to their inabilty to score as many goals as five years ago say, and their different tactical system. They no longer have anyone who can cross, or take free kicks like Beckham. Since they changed from the 442, things have never been quite the same. A perfect example of their inability to finish was the FA cup final.

The defence hasnt been perferct but it was pretty good and usually mistakes were goalkeeping errors by the likes of Tim Howard and Roy Carroll.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
enigma said:
I disagree. If anything, they've struggled due to their inabilty to score as many goals as five years ago say, and their different tactical system. They no longer have anyone who can cross, or take free kicks like Beckham. Since they changed from the 442, things have never been quite the same. A perfect example of their inability to finish was the FA cup final.

The defence hasnt been perferct but it was pretty good and usually mistakes were goalkeeping errors by the likes of Tim Howard and Roy Carroll.

i can honestly say that was the best side in the premiership i have ever seen..........

when man utd used to played beckham down one wing and giggs down the other, and they played to up front, they never looked like failing to score.....

the pace and cleverness at which they used to counter attack was frightening......

i still feel now if they play to wingers, ie two of park, ronaldo and giggs they look a much better side.....

E

enigma

RonnieO'Sullivan said:
i can honestly say that was the best side in the premiership i have ever seen..........

when man utd used to played beckham down one wing and giggs down the other, and they played to up front, they never looked like failing to score.....

the pace and cleverness at which they used to counter attack was frightening......

i still feel now if they play to wingers, ie two of park, ronaldo and giggs they look a much better side.....

Agree on all counts. That was an incredible team, and better balanced than the Arsenal team that went undefeated in my opinion. They really have missed beckham for the reasons i mentioned.

They should just play 442, and out and out and wingers. Having said that Ronaldo still furstrates me, needs to improve crossing, shooting and use of ball. But his potential is incredible.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
enigma said:
Agree on all counts. That was an incredible team, and better balanced than the Arsenal team that went undefeated in my opinion. They really have missed beckham for the reasons i mentioned.

They should just play 442, and out and out and wingers. Having said that Ronaldo still furstrates me, needs to improve crossing, shooting and use of ball. But his potential is incredible.

totally agree....

that team that won the treble was the best since the premiership has started IMO......

whose to say that the arsenal side taht went unbeaten wasnt tho......

or even the current chelsea side who look frightening......

its so hard to compare and u cannot compare them really but one thing is for sure they are very very good sides......

that man utd 1999 team can be considered one of the 'great' teams in my eyes....

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
I remember watching United at that particular time and My Days they were awesome.

People say they were lucky and yes The Champions League Final had a touch of luck about it.

But they could open up a team at will.

Thats when Their whole midfield was at their best and yorke and cole were awesome,

A goal they Scored against Barcelona in the champions league is one of my favourite goals the pass from beckham the dummy from yorke the first time ball through the defence and an outstanding finish from Yorke.

Plus Their comeback from 2-0 down away to Juve was superb to watch

E

enigma

Proof for all the people that reckon United's defence was bollocks and that their strikers saved them last season:

Goals for 58 (3rd best, compare with Chelsea 72 and Arsenal 87

Goals against 26 ( 2nd best, only to Chelsea who had an amzing defence)

Equalled their best record defensively in the Premiership, so hardly struggling defensively, and that's despite having shit keepers.

Have a look at the goals scored column and you'll see the problem.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Brighton Boy said:
I remember watching United at that particular time and My Days they were awesome.

People say they were lucky and yes The Champions League Final had a touch of luck about it.

But they could open up a team at will.

Thats when Their whole midfield was at their best and yorke and cole were awesome,

A goal they Scored against Barcelona in the champions league is one of my favourite goals the pass from beckham the dummy from yorke the first time ball through the defence and an outstanding finish from Yorke.

Plus Their comeback from 2-0 down away to Juve was superb to watch

against juve keane scored that header from that corner to get them back in it....

remember it well skipper leading from the front......

incredible team that will never be forgotten.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here