Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradley Wiggins v Andy Murray

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

People only give a f*** about tennis when Wimbledon is on, Athletics when it's the olympics and push bikes?? Well I expect there is minor interest when the jaunt around France is on but I don't know anyone that really cares about it. Even the bloke who won it said it was a load of old cock!

Minority sports all of them.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
People only give a f*** about tennis when Wimbledon is on, Athletics when it's the olympics and push bikes?? Well I expect there is minor interest when the jaunt around France is on but I don't know anyone that really cares about it. Even the bloke who won it said it was a load of old cock!

Minority sports all of them

................... as is fishing ???

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Minority sports shouldn't be allowed in IMO which rules out Tennis, Athletics and push bikes. Or if you do feel the need to honour these people for their practising at least have a separate category.

Should be Mcllroy but won't because of the PC BBC viewers.

Oh and the Scotsman won't win the US Open because he is a bottler, so the initial argument on this thread will be null and void come tomorrow morning. Although it would be very British to reward a perennial loser.

Surely golf is more of a minority sport than tennis, that only gets the publics interest every other year when the Ryder Cup is on, or when that Yank bloke gets a 5 iron around his head from his wife

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
................... as is fishing ???

Well as a participation sport it isn't in this country but as a spectator sport I'll agree.

Surely golf is more of a minority sport than tennis, that only gets the publics interest every other year when the Ryder Cup is on, or when that Yank bloke gets a 5 iron around his head from his wife

Only maybe because the BBC don't have any golf they can show other than the Open. Sky have a European tour and US PGA event pretty much every weekend. They even show the women.

I'm sure there will be a few people tuning in to the coverage of the US Open this evening, but only because the Scotsman is the final. Had it been Federer V Nadal I'm sure the viewing figures would be in the thousands.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I'd love to see Murray win it but imo the tour de france is the ultimate endurance effort. To win that and then an Olympic gold a few weeks later is very very special. Anyway, more important is that Andy does it tonight for the scotch.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Minority sports all of them.

So it should only be 'majority' sports defined by what the majority of people like? That would be football then. Or are we not counting the World Cup as thats when loads of people start liking it? Do we inlcude any other sports? Where do we draw the line?
Interesting idea but incredibly flawed from the start.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
So it should only be 'majority' sports defined by what the majority of people like? That would be football then. Or are we not counting the World Cup as thats when loads of people start liking it? Do we inlcude any other sports? Where do we draw the line?
Interesting idea but incredibly flawed from the start.

It's not only when it's on though is it?

They all have seasons just people in this country don't follow them. For example I've just let my staff out to go and watch the olympians go by the top of the road (I'm nice like that you see) and apparently Bradley Wiggins wasn't there because he currently riding in the British Tour or similar. I didn't even know there was a British Tour let alone when it was on, neither did anyone else other than the chap that stayed in the office and watched it on the BBC website.

People follow football, rugby, golf, cricket and boxing 365 days a year not just when there is big tournament on.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Heard in he media from several journalists that Wiggins is an arrogant, miserable, self righteous arse too...

Mo Mo Mo

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's not only when it's on though is it?

They all have seasons just people in this country don't follow them. For example I've just let my staff out to go and watch the olympians go by the top of the road (I'm nice like that you see) and apparently Bradley Wiggins wasn't there because he currently riding in the British Tour or similar. I didn't even know there was a British Tour let alone when it was on, neither did anyone else other than the chap that stayed in the office and watched it on the BBC website.

People follow football, rugby, golf, cricket and boxing 365 days a year not just when there is big tournament on.

So because it's not televised 24-7 it's not sport enough? Interesting take. I don't know anyone that watches golf and boxing so surely it's just objective and therefore any sport is a sport, and should be recognised as one.
Let's face it, things that are qualified by popularity are usually shit. Maybe all the BAFTA awards should go to Eastenders because most people watch it? All the music awards to X Factor? The best book awards to 50 shades of gray? Goal of the season to whoever scores for Man United as they're followed by the most.
No? No.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
So because it's not televised 24-7 it's not sport enough? Interesting take. I don't know anyone that watches golf and boxing so surely it's just objective and therefore any sport is a sport, and should be recognised as one.
Let's face it, things that are qualified by popularity are usually shit. Maybe all the BAFTA awards should go to Eastenders because most people watch it? All the music awards to X Factor? The best book awards to 50 shades of gray? Goal of the season to whoever scores for Man United as they're followed by the most.
No? No.

But Sports Personality of the Year is a public vote. Whoever gets the most votes will win. Kinda contradicts your argument doesn't it?

Which also makes it a pointless award.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
To even get close I think Murray needs to win everything between now and the end of the season, my vote is wiggins all day long

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Come deepest darkest December this years edition should be superb, and will make pretty much all others look pointless.

Very true. Therefore it should be SPOTCentury. Looking at it mechanically Wiggins should sneak it because no Brit has ever won the Tour but a Brit won a major in 1936. It's all too much, Chris Froome for instance would have won this if he had done what he's done in any other year.

SPOTY should be cancelled this year, AND IT'S NOT ABOUT 'PERSONALITIES'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here