Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradley Wiggins v Andy Murray

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Though I probably agree with most here that Wiggins' performance is higher than Murrays I'd like Murray to win. Just seems like we have followed his story more and that he has had success in a sport where we have had none for a long time whereas we've been good at cycling for a while (though I admit that TdF is a new breakthrough)

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Why do people keep mentioning 'personality'? It doesn't mean that in this context. It just means 'person'. It's awarded to the person who has 'achieved the most that year' (BBC def.) Not the person who'd be the most sparkling company at a dinner party.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Eat your words and celebrate a GREAT victory. He won't win SPOTY but he kept me up most of the night watching a truly EPIC achievement. Just because he's not Mr. happy clappy smiley doesn't mean he's not a superb, world class sportsman and a personality.

Epic? He beat someone who was suffering with injury according to the radio this morning and he tried his hardest to f*** that up. Hardly Epic. That said you can only beat what is front of you so fair play to him for doing so. I'm sure the sales of Buckfast, heroin and deep fried foods have gone through the roof this morning.

I've had respect for the guy when he nailed his colours to the mast about being Scottish, but then to back track like he did what a ****! He's a Jock and they are welcome to him and for that reason (and the fact his mother is not right!) I could never support him.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Epic? He beat someone who was suffering with injury according to the radio this morning and he tried his hardest to f*** that up. Hardly Epic. That said you can only beat what is front of you so fair play to him for doing so. I'm sure the sales of Buckfast, heroin and deep fried foods have gone through the roof this morning.

I've had respect for the guy when he nailed his colours to the mast about being Scottish, but then to back track like he did what a ****! He's a Jock and they are welcome to him and for that reason (and the fact his mother is not right!) I could never support him.

It was a great game of tennis. Give it up Arthur! :)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Arthur half our team could play for Scotland

And? I support Brighton & Hove Albion. England play the Jocks next summer I certainly won't be cheering on CMS, Greer, Bridcutt any other **** who once had some shortbread and is eligible to play for them just because they play for us.

I'm off to Poland next month, should I be supporting them because our keeper plays for them?

It was a great game of tennis. Give it up Arthur! :)

That I doubt but I obviously didn't see it so can't comment.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Wiggins tour win is OBVIOUSLY epic...but it was also helped with a phenomenal team behind him making it possible for him to win.

Sky had built a TEAM to get Wiggins the win, and they achieved it. They deserve the team award in my opinion.

Murray is ahead of Wiggins in terms of the INDIVIDUAL award in my view. What he has achieved this year is AMAZING, especially considering the boundaries he has broken for british tennis.

Wimbledon final. Olympic gold and The US Open all in an era with 3 of the greatest ever players also in the same tournaments.

It saddens me that some people can't realise what a brilliant feat murray has just achieved. I still think people think he's 'anti english' all from a quote which he never actually said being blown out of all proportion.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Murray also has a team around him to help him win though?

Well, no. He doesn't have some guy blocking off the opposition player whilst Murray hits it.

Wiggins has a team which physically helps him get the best position on the road. Murray is coached and coached, but still has to do everything by himself on court.

It's COMPLETELY different

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Utter bollocks. How can anyone have watched that game last night and suggest it WASN'T epic?! One of the best finals of all time between two truly world class players. Murray deserves this win so much, good on him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wiggins tour win is OBVIOUSLY epic...but it was also helped with a phenomenal team behind him making it possible for him to win.

Sky had built a TEAM to get Wiggins the win, and they achieved it. They deserve the team award in my opinion.

Murray is ahead of Wiggins in terms of the INDIVIDUAL award in my view. What he has achieved this year is AMAZING, especially considering the boundaries he has broken for british tennis.

Wimbledon final. Olympic gold and The US Open all in an era with 3 of the greatest ever players also in the same tournaments.

It saddens me that some people can't realise what a brilliant feat murray has just achieved. I still think people think he's 'anti english' all from a quote which he never actually said being blown out of all proportion.

Spot on. What Murray has achieved is MONUMENTAL for British Tennis. The best since Fred Perry, comfortably.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Utter bollocks. How can anyone have watched that game last night and suggest it WASN'T epic?! One of the best finals of all time between two truly world class players. Murray deserves this win so much, good on him.

:wozza: Because if you read my other posts I clearly didn't watch it!

Babestation was on!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spot on. What Murray has achieved is MONUMENTAL for British Tennis. The best since Fred Perry, comfortably.
While being out and about, I've been thinking about:-
First winner ever v first in 70+ years.
I haven't got any answers, but here goes.

BW is the first Brit to win Le Tour, or any of the Grand Tours.
AM wins first slam in 70+ years.

Now I think that should be pretty much first slam ever.
The modern era of slam tennis seems so far removed from Perry's day, it's almost a different sport.
Would Perry serve at over 100 mph with new fangled rackets?

Obviously in 99 years of Le Tour there have been massive changes to the equipment used.
But those changes are based on making it easier.

Could Fred Perry beat Murray, not a chance.
Could Tom Simpson beat Wiggins, tough call.

Like I said, my thinking wasn't going anywhere, but hey.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
After Wiggins won the TDF and more Olympic gold to become our most decorated Olympian I could only see one winner of SPOTY. I've now revised my position; that 5th set vs Djokovic was immense.

It was the final part of a thrilling summer trilogy that charted a journey from the Wimbledon Final, to Olympic Gold and, ultimately, our first men's Grand Slam win in 76 years. And that's not to mention a silver medal in the Mixed Doubles too. Murray's journey and the fact that he finally laid that GB tennis 'ghost' to rest - and all the pressure on his one pair of shoulders (no teammates for him) - means he gets my vote.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Murray also has a team around him to help him win though?

I didn't notice when they crowded around him omn court and hit all those rally balls so Murray wasn't too tired to then win the game at the end. They did a really good job of protecting him from the wind I must say and when he did have to run they let him follow them in their slip stream.

Oh and didn't Murray also win a team medal at London 2012, so 2 in total

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here