Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradley Wiggins v Andy Murray

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I'm surprised Murray is even mentioned given the year many have had. He lost at Wimbledon, won a fairly meaningless gold medal in an event that holds little value (see footballl as well), lost the Mixed Doubles final.

If he wins the US Open, he could sneak in to the reckoning, but how on earth could his year possibly compare against Wiggins, Hoy, Farrah, Ennis, Trott, Weir or even Rory Mcilroy?

Of course fortunately for Andy personality doesn't come into it.......... even Nigel Mansell won previously.

If the Canadian Rusedski can win it just for getting to a final of a tennis major anything is possible
I agree that there are far more deserving winners but the British public love a good tennis player

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If the Canadian Rusedski can win it just for getting to a final of a tennis major anything is possible
I agree that there are far more deserving winners but the British public love a good tennis player

At least he had/has a personality albeit Canadian. You are right the public love tennis and particularly crying att Wimbledon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just need Europe to win the Ryder Cup and England to retain the World T20 and the whole thing is going to be screwed...
Or a Rooney brace against Wigan.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Wiggins vs Murray? I suspect Wiggins would win a road race, but I think Murray would win a tennis match between the pair.

I wonder how Harry Hill would suggest resolving this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I doubt Murray would win it even if he won the US Open because most of Jo Public are only interested in events on their doorstep. Pretty stupid, because if he'd won Wimbledon he probably would have won it. Will probably be Wiggins because he won Tour De France and was prominent during the Olympics. Could be Ennis though because she's good looking and therefore she gets much more attention than our other Gold medal winners

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
don't really ever watch/like sports personality but if Murray had won Wimbledon/Olympic Gold i'd say he would have had a cracking chance and would be top 3 easy.

the guys had a great season irrespective of tomorrow but he really needs this first win - could then get a lot more

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Wiggo should get it.

Sports - for winning the Tour De France and Olympic Champ in the space of a month.
Personality - for standing on the podium on the Champs Élysées, and saying to a worldwide audience "..and now to announce the raffle prizes"

priceless...

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I think its gonna be split this year to more catorgaries as its a nightmare to choose. maybe a male and female?

Wiggo for me as to win the tour de france is just exceptional and then to follow up with gold is awesome and remember he won two events prior to the tour and will probably win this years tour de uk........
Murray, if he wins tonight is in with a good shout, but I think Weir, the mobot and Simmonds, Storey are all in with a good shout.

Has Ashley Barnes had a mention for the title?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wiggo. As well as winning the TdF and gold at the Olympics, he's had a massive, massive influence in turning a niche sport (in this country) into a proper mainstream one.

All of which is very very harsh on Andy Murray. He's won gold and silver at the Olympics, been the first British man at a Wimbledon final since 1936, and may yet be the first British winner of a major since 1936 too. Any other year, and he'd be a shoo-in.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Defiantly Wiggo for me.

However would Ellie Simmonds give them both a run for all their money. She was involved in very competitive racing, and shows lots of emotion and passion in interviews, a superstar and has a public personality. Although was it last year no women was on the list.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I would prefer BBC cancelled it this year as there are too many people who deserve the award. With the public involved a 15 minute hattrick by Lampard for England the week before would virtually guarantee him the crown.

A three hour 2012 celebration covering all sports would be better with no awards at the end.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

Even if Murray wins the US he won't win it with such a strong summer of british triumphs in the olympics. Anyother year he may have won.

This is the toughest year i can remember...

Rusedski won it for just getting to the US final, Cavendish won it for winning a Tour De France stage... Now we have have Murray who has done more than Rusedski already (with the olympic gold) and Wiggins actually winning the tour de france and yet they arent even shoe in for the win...

Mo All the way. What he did was unreal in track and field.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Minority sports shouldn't be allowed in IMO which rules out Tennis, Athletics and push bikes. Or if you do feel the need to honour these people for their practising at least have a separate category.

Should be Mcllroy but won't because of the PC BBC viewers.

Oh and the Scotsman won't win the US Open because he is a bottler, so the initial argument on this thread will be null and void come tomorrow morning. Although it would be very British to reward a perennial loser.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Minority sports shouldn't be allowed in IMO which rules out Tennis, Athletics and push bikes. Or if you do feel the need to honour these people for their practising at least have a separate category.

Should be Mcllroy but won't because of the PC BBC viewers.

Oh and the Scotsman won't win the US Open because he is a bottler, so the initial argument on this thread will be null and void come tomorrow morning. Although it would be very British to reward a perennial loser.

Eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here