Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bottom 3 after the next round of fixtures?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Taking the piss out of fans unhappy at 1 win in 7 seems to me pretty easy too the day after a win.

I’d recommend the famous Keynes aphorism when the facts change, my opinions change as one way to make the eternal war on here between the Bedwetters and the Superfans a bit less dull and rote

But the whole point is not that we'd only won one in seven, but played really well without results that reflected it. We've now had a performance and a result align which seems to reinforce the points being made.

Of course, one swallow does not make a Summer, but it certainly felt like that result had been coming. Tuck away a few results against our more expected rivals and (almost) anything could be possible.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The Watford win kept everyone happy for a while and so will Saturday’s. But surely winning one of the next two winnable games is a must? Stringing some results together is the next test for our new look team

I think the difference now is we look competitive. We will win some and lose some, but I think the new found confidence means we will give it a go, when we can!

The great thing is we don't really look like getting on the wrong side of a thumping (that's tempted fate)...

I think the difference now is we look competitive. We will win some and lose some, but I think the new found confidence means we will give it a go, when we can!

The great thing is we don't really look like getting on the wrong side of a thumping (that's tempted fate)...

I’m sceptical on the competitive thing, which is too low a standard - the difference yesterday was we had a ruthless killer touch about our football. Without that, no progress can be sustained across a season.

If we show that same ruthless killer touch in the next two games, then yes we are the real deal - and we can then think bigger than being perennial bottom 5

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Taking the piss out of fans unhappy at 1 win in 7 seems to me pretty easy too the day after a win.

I’d recommend the famous Keynes aphorism when the facts change, my opinions change as one way to make the eternal war on here between the Bedwetters and the Superfans a bit less dull and rote
Superfans? Are they the ones that used to be lickers? Well, I suppose it's good that one of the unpleasant insulting stereotypes no longer features on these boards - just a pity the other one hasn't gone the same way - although to be fair, it nearly has, apart from an occasional unwelcome re-appearance.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Managers who don't get too high after a win nor too low after a defeat are often lauded in football.

This is another suggestion for peace in our eternal war.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But the whole point is not that we'd only won one in seven, but played really well without results that reflected it. We've now had a performance and a result align which seems to reinforce the points being made.

True. Leaving aside the Andone exit strategy game, we've drawn thee matches this season. In all three matches, our opponents (West Ham, Burnley and Newcastle) have come away - if they're honest - thinking "Phew, however did we get a point out of that?"
This season's performances, and today's result show that we will win some matches this season without ourselves having to think, "Phew, how the hell did we get away with that?" (though I'd obviously accept a few three points acquired in that fashion too!)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Our resident miserablists? Recap for the simpletons.
1 win in 6. Played only 1 team in the top 6 and was comfortably spanked.
The penny will eventually drop but by that time it's to late.
People are far more Interested in nice football even if it means going down.
This so called nice football has only produced one win while playing a lot of crap teams.

These simpletons you speak of - didn't they write off Maty Ryan as a bad signing after 3 games because he was "too short"?

Personally I'll judge after 12 games. You might prove to be right, but equally so might those who are saying we are playing more adventurous football and have simply been unlucky.with results. Still too early for me.

Nearly 12 games - thoughts?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nearly 12 games - thoughts?
Outstanding, clearly. We won't be troubling the relegation places will we?

The decision to bin off the three front players was risky but has proved a masterstroke, and don't forget we are where we are despite also having Trossard out for 4 games as well as those 3. We go to Old Trafford holding no fears whatsoever, which is a good indication of the progress that has been made.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We’re a slightly false position in the table IMO. With a bit more luck we’d be 4th or 5th. The football is on a different planet to what we were watching last year, it really is.

Potter has had just 11 games to completely change the style of play. What he’s done is remarkable IMO. We’ll only get better. Top 10 beckons.

Happy and impressed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Spence is a :wanker:

And the football is a joy to watch

We're f'ing brilliant, for the most part.

Outstanding, clearly. We won't be troubling the relegation places will we?

The decision to bin off the three front players was risky but has proved a masterstroke, and don't forget we are where we are despite also having Trossard out for 4 games as well as those 3. We go to Old Trafford holding no fears whatsoever, which is a good indication of the progress that has been made.

But has the penny dropped?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Count me out of this smug after-timing sheebo. If Spence had been proved right, you'd have been nowhere near this thread.

Ha no it’s best not to make those sorts of predictions anyway. You calling someone smug is irony :lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ha no it’s best not to make those sorts of predictions anyway. You calling someone smug is irony [emoji38]
Feel free to call me out for smugness when I post it at the time then. Sounds a bit babyish to suggest as much now.

Anyway as you point out, Spence's mistake was not to suggest that the football was naiive and doomed to fail, it is that he was calling for Potter's head after about 5 or 6 games. If we criticise his point of view with aftertiming, we are going to discourage opinions on here...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Feel free to call me out for smugness when I post it at the time then. Sounds a bit babyish to suggest as much now.

Anyway as you point out, Spence's mistake was not to suggest that the football was naiive and doomed to fail, it is that he was calling for Potter's head after about 5 or 6 games. If we criticise his point of view with aftertiming, we are going to discourage opinions on here...

Aftertiming? I, like many called him out on it at the time. He deserves a little ribbing / piss taking obviously - especially when the Albion have proved him wrong. It’s not smug. Opinions are always welcome, but such bold bollocks must be picked up and the poster reminded if people come across it. And no, I won’t post on here calling you out for being smug - it would derail threads and then it would be childish - was just saying practice what you preach as you often like to belittle posters on here.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Odds continue to drift

59c5d1f076504b99ae74459cbea3ce4e.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Maybe I'm alone on this but I would ALWAYS take (under a new manager. 6 games into a 39 game season), playing WELL but feeling like we haven't got the points for it rather than FLUKING some wins but being crap and seeing no signs of what the new manager has added.

There is a CLEAR improvement in the team and it's really good to watch. We WILL score goals this season and we WILL be competitive in away games and actually win some compared to trying to hold on.

We may well be in the bottom 3 but I would be STAGGERED if the results don't start coming with the way the players have taken on board the new tactics which are a huge change from before.

Saturday, although frustrating, was such a pleasure to watch.

Rather than smugness, which I could have shown by bumping my post early in this thread, I thought instead I would bump this considered response to the OP’s defeatist post and Spence’s equally predictable negativity.

Spence, and others, feel free to bump this post and my comment when we are languishing in the bottom 3... not!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here