Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bottom 3 after the next round of fixtures?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Our resident miserablists? Recap for the simpletons.
1 win in 6. Played only 1 team in the top 6 and was comfortably spanked.
The penny will eventually drop but by that time it's to late.
People are far more Interested in nice football even if it means going down.
This so called nice football has only produced one win while playing a lot of crap teams.
These simpletons you speak of - didn't they write off Maty Ryan as a bad signing after 3 games because he was "too short"?

Personally I'll judge after 12 games. You might prove to be right, but equally so might those who are saying we are playing more adventurous football and have simply been unlucky.with results. Still too early for me.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
These simpletons you speak of - didn't they write off Maty Ryan as a bad signing after 3 games because he was "too short"?
He IS too short, but thankfully we found a solution:

a8b9ae07cb9b72c8276df24e09057f70.jpg

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Likely to be in and out the bottom 3 this season IMO.

We've been lucky in our first 2 years that we've avoided this but it happens to lots of sides. It's where you finish up that counts.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Personally I'll judge after 12 games. You might prove to be right, but equally so might those who are saying we are playing more adventurous football and have simply been unlucky.with results. Still too early for me.

This really. A bit too soon to be sure. Football better but failure to win games we should've versus teams who will finish around us is a worry. I think we'll be all right plus we are more progressive and building for the future with what looks a very good manager to me.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Yes, resident miserablists. Read the thread for the other ways to look at our current situation.

Optimists will be looking at midtable security (maybe even sneaking into the top half) once we ride our the adjustment period of changing our system. Pessimists (Miserablists - see your post) will be looking at going down (see your post). Who will be right?

Well that remains to be seen of course but I suspect it will be somewhere inbetween (where we sit now).

Don't give him the oxygen of attention TSB at least has some charm and longevity on his side - this bloke is utterly bereft of any redeeming features and of course can't off a cogent argument to support his weird nightmare vision

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know it sounds stupid but we are creating a lot more chances to score under the Potter regime and eventually this approach will pay off
Then I guess I'm stupid.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Said this the other week. Once inside the relegation zone we wont get out of it under Potter.
Yeah, but you won't put money on it, because you're just a troll.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It was a terrific achievement from Hughton to keep us out of the bottom 3 for 2 seasons, but we shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that it’s perfectly possible to drop into the bottom 3 and get yourself out of it. Especially if it’s Sept or Oct.

6 games and 6 points so far. I think we’ll make it 7 from 8.

The way I see this season is that we are trying to stay in touch whilst buying some time. We need time for Connolly and Maupay to find their feet in the Premier League. We need time to get our injured players back and to get to January and get some firepower in.

To anyone here who is genuinely concerned by our performances and results so far (and I don’t think there is anyone who actually is concerned, I think it’s more of a chance to play a persona and get the attention that they don’t get in their personal life), the other point I’d make is to look at our injury list, so at some point we’ve lost

Trossard
Bissouma
Izquierdo
March
Ali J
Bernardo

What’s that, about £80m of attacking talent? We’re not the size of club where those sort of losses won’t be noticeable, but the way we’ve integrated youngsters has been terrific and does make me wonder how easy it will be for those players injured to get their places back.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I cant agree, not for one second do I think we have a chance of winning both, but we do have a chance of picking up points in both, Under Chrissy I would have us down for 0 points. I honestly am looking forward to seeing us play in the next two games and will give us a good benchmark of where we are at. Goals aside we look a completely different team this season and even if we did drop into the relegation zone, there should be enough in our team to pull us back out.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Maybe I'm alone on this but I would ALWAYS take (under a new manager. 6 games into a 39 game season), playing WELL but feeling like we haven't got the points for it rather than FLUKING some wins but being crap and seeing no signs of what the new manager has added.

There is a CLEAR improvement in the team and it's really good to watch. We WILL score goals this season and we WILL be competitive in away games and actually win some compared to trying to hold on.

We may well be in the bottom 3 but I would be STAGGERED if the results don't start coming with the way the players have taken on board the new tactics which are a huge change from before.

Saturday, although frustrating, was such a pleasure to watch.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
2 losses in 6. 1 against the champions, 1 having played an hour with ten men.

We have the same number of points from this list of games as last year and a slightly better goal average. The only points we took from these six games last year were from two tight 1-0 wins against West Ham and Newcastle. We lost the other 4. The two wins last year could have easily been draws and the two this year could easily have been wins. Fine Margins as Chris always said.

Fine margins, because everyone in the division is very competitive. The 'crap teams' we have played have all managed to stay in the Premier League for as long as, or longer than we have. Given that everyone we have played finished above us last year, surely the base expectation level would be fairly low. What makes you assume that in the very early days of a new system we should automatically be beating these 'crap teams' and that not doing so means relegation?

It's never going to be easy in the Premier League, but the early signs are good. This is not about 'nice football', it's about steady improvement in all areas. So far, compared to last year, possession is better, chances created is better, expected goals is better, control of games is better, away form is better, fitness levels seem better, defending seems as good. The atmosphere in the stadium seems much improved and fan satisfaction with the direction in which we seem to be heading seems much better. What would you say is worse?

Stop speaking SENSE and facts when spence wants to CRY into his SOUP.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Said this the other week. Once inside the relegation zone we wont get out of it under Potter. Not a problem on here because we play nice football

Why? We are creating chances, keeping the ball and defending OK. Surely these are the attributes you need not to lose games. As soon as we can find the right passes in to the strikers and start scoring why not pull out of the bottom three.
The difference is my glass is half full and yours is half empty.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I cant agree, not for one second do I think we have a chance of winning both, but we do have a chance of picking up points in both, Under Chrissy I would have us down for 0 points. I honestly am looking forward to seeing us play in the next two games and will give us a good benchmark of where we are at. Goals aside we look a completely different team this season and even if we did drop into the relegation zone, there should be enough in our team to pull us back out.

I quite like the quote I saw somewhere from a Newcastle fan that we are a "poundland Man City"

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely no way are we going down.

Once again the rarified swan-souffle sampling wealthy elite of NSC showing how out of touch they (he) are (is).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here