Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bottom 3 after the next round of fixtures?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One of the issues is that a lot of people have knee-jerk reactions and their emotions seem to go up and down depending not just on every match, but almost every passage of play. I'm not totally won over by 'Potterball', but I can appreciate that a) he is trying to create a new way of playing and b) that isn't going to happen overnight. Every game in the PL is tough and probably every season is going to have ups and downs. But TB has clearly made this appointment with a long-term vision of where he wants the Albion to be and that vision can't be judged by half a dozen competitive games.

One game at a time...

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Spence aside - who is clearly a dullard troll and certainly not worth offering a great deal more time with, I think this topic is worth a closer look.

This season ALL three promoted sides are trying to play innovate and possession football. Burnley, Watford and Newcastle aside, there seems to be a commitment to actually playing the ball and not the percentages. The sides mentioned above are my tips to go down along potentially with Villa. I think unless you playing decent football this season there won't be room for you in the top division next season. The Goalkeepers passing law change has altered Maty Ryan's play the most of any keeper in the top flight and we are looking for swashbuckling young libero style defenders to stride forward meaningfully with the ball pinged around to feet confidently, comfortable and with guile

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Spence aside - who is clearly a dullard troll and certainly not worth offering a great deal more time with, I think this topic is worth a closer look.

This season ALL three promoted sides are trying to play innovate and possession football. Burnley, Watford and Newcastle aside, there seems to be a commitment to actually playing the ball and not the percentages. The sides mentioned above are my tips to go down along potentially with Villa. I think unless you playing decent football this season there won't be room for you in the top division next season. The Goalkeepers passing law change has altered Maty Ryan's play the most of any keeper in the top flight and we are looking for swashbuckling young libero style defenders to stride forward meaningfully with the ball pinged around to feet confidently, comfortable and with guile

How did you omit Palace from your list?

I don’t see that there’s no place for a team like Burnley (though I don’t like them or watching them). Physical and dirty play won’t be displaced as easily as you imagine.

On the other hand, I agree though that the new keeper passing rules has had a big impact on the game. The promoted teams have progressive managers who have thought through the impact of the new rules and new ways of thinking and been flexible enough to adopt/counter this strategy effectively

The dinosaur managers like Bruce will eventually catch up or get sacked. Personally I believe the promoted teams once they’ve lost a bit of the momentum they’ve carried from last season will find it harder through the winter.

I fully expect us to be a part of one of the most open and thrilling relegation battles in top flight history, with no teams crashing out with under 30 points and probably the whole bottom half at risk of the drop (or with a chance of survival) with 5 or 6 games to go

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
‘Blunt’ scoring BHA on 6 points must be fair game to fall into the bottom 3 after next weekends fixtures?

Currently the table is:

15th BHA 6 points
16th Norwich 6 points
17th Newcastle 5 points
18th Aston Villa 4 points
19th Wolves 4 points
20th Watford 2points

No one gets relegated in September but without scoring or winning games - hard fixtures against Chelsea & Spurs coming up - it’s not looking good ...

Aston Villa v Burnley
Chelsea v BHA
Crystal Palace v Norwich
Wolves v Watford
Leicester v Newcastle

I think we’ll be 18th & after Spurs match 19th ☹️

Can you explain what sort of satisfaction you get from making this kind of post? Whilst it may be true, whose life is enhanced by you writing it or them reading it? To be of value, every activity must have a purpose, to be creative, that purpose must be a positive one. I really don’t understand, without further explanation, how the post achieves anything of value to anybody, even the author.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why? We are creating chances, keeping the ball and defending OK. Surely these are the attributes you need not to lose games. As soon as we can find the right passes in to the strikers and start scoring why not pull out of the bottom three.
The difference is my glass is half full and yours is half empty.

He doesn't have a glass.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A win had been coming

I think even Mark Lawrenson would (after a bit of water boarding) admit that too

I wasn't expecting all the stars to align against decent opposition however. . . . Let's hope we can kick on and do it against the anti football teams as well as the better ones.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
‘Blunt’ scoring BHA on 6 points must be fair game to fall into the bottom 3 after next weekends fixtures?

Currently the table is:

15th BHA 6 points
16th Norwich 6 points
17th Newcastle 5 points
18th Aston Villa 4 points
19th Wolves 4 points
20th Watford 2points

No one gets relegated in September but without scoring or winning games - hard fixtures against Chelsea & Spurs coming up - it’s not looking good ...

Aston Villa v Burnley
Chelsea v BHA
Crystal Palace v Norwich
Wolves v Watford
Leicester v Newcastle

I think we’ll be 18th & after Spurs match 19th ☹️

Said at the time you posted this, “bet we’re not”...

I think sometimes you have to look past the results and look at the performances. I know everyone’s season is full of what if moments, but we really could be six points better off than we currently are, I’m thinking West Ham, Burnley and Newcastle, where it wouldn’t have taken too much to have turned those draws to wins!

Your negative post clearly wouldn’t have been made if that had been the case. I think there is a change in mindset this season and i think you need to sit back and enjoy things a little more.

I think some of the talk of European places is a little premature, but all we can do is put in our best shift against each opposition as it comes up and see where we end up!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
agree , we are a better side than last season both in players and the type of football being played. It’s easy being negative when you are an armchair fan and have next to no idea how to run a PL club.

The Watford win kept everyone happy for a while and so will Saturday’s. But surely winning one of the next two winnable games is a must? Stringing some results together is the next test for our new look team

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Said at the time you posted this, “bet we’re not”...

I think sometimes you have to look past the results and look at the performances. I know everyone’s season is full of what if moments, but we really could be six points better off than we currently are, I’m thinking West Ham, Burnley and Newcastle, where it wouldn’t have taken too much to have turned those draws to wins!

Your negative post clearly wouldn’t have been made if that had been the case. I think there is a change in mindset this season and i think you need to sit back and enjoy things a little more.

I think some of the talk of European places is a little premature, but all we can do is put in our best shift against each opposition as it comes up and see where we end up!

All good points, you were right. In mitigation for [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION]’s concerns at that time, no one knew where our goals would come from, probably needing at least two per match because of an imperfect defence.

Step forward an incredibly talented 19 year old, supplementing the quality of Maupay.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I fully expect us to be a part of one of the most open and thrilling relegation battles in top flight history, with no teams crashing out with under 30 points and probably the whole bottom half at risk of the drop (or with a chance of survival) with 5 or 6 games to go

It certainly feels like this season could be like this. Indeed it feels like the battle for European places and the relegation battle could be one and the same

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
All good points, you were right. In mitigation for [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION]’s concerns at that time, no one knew where our goals would come from, probably needing at least two per match because of an imperfect defence.

Step forward an incredibly talented 19 year old, supplementing the quality of Maupay.

A switch to a back 4 and a clean sheet in the bag along with Potterball, surely the international break is at the wrong time for us

This. Being a critic is easy. Being a do-er, not so.

Taking the piss out of fans unhappy at 1 win in 7 seems to me pretty easy too the day after a win.

I’d recommend the famous Keynes aphorism when the facts change, my opinions change as one way to make the eternal war on here between the Bedwetters and the Superfans a bit less dull and rote

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Taking the piss out of fans unhappy at 1 win in 7 seems to me pretty easy too the day after a win.

I’d recommend the famous Keynes aphorism when the facts change, my opinions change as one way to make the eternal war on here between the Bedwetters and the Superfans a bit less dull and rote

I’d imagine Keynes didn’t post on public forums, with a look at me attitude...

You don’t have to be a Superfan to appreciate a manager needs more than a handful of games before talking about relegation...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here