Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris is Back.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Boris does a good job at pretending he has no strategy - London has real issues - cost of housing, transport, the millionairization of some boroughs whilst exporting the poor. By refusing to use the powers the mayoralty gives him and reducing the role to bus manager, Boris can support all of the government policies. There is no challenge and people will only care when no workers can afford to access London to do the menial jobs which need to be done

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Says the man who champions illiterate losers who spend over six hours "running" marathons.

Christ you really are an idiot, you're still harping on about the time it took him to run a marathon ! So what if it took him over six hours, at least he had ago, which is a lot more than the majority of people on this board have done.
Let it go before you start sounding like a playground bully.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Completely missed the point. I'm not commentating on his politics, he hasn't got any, I'm commentating on the public profile he has invented.

Very difficult to invent a profile in politics these days, but Boris has - it's a masterclass.

This freaks the party out. He is electable, highly - even though he doesn't appear to believe in anything and a time when the personal profiles (again forget the politics) of Dave and Gideon are very very low.

It's fascinating. I think Ken is as false for the record, but I find Boris more interesting having read a few books. The general consensus appears to be the better the get to know him, the less you like him as a person.

The politicians do know him that's the problem - but how can they be seen to attack Boris ?

I agree with this completely. Hes not some bumbling idiot who's stumbled to the top. We are easily fooled.

Dandyman

In London village.
Boris is Boris,you get what you see.

Except of course, you don't. He was elected by presenting himself as "Brand Boris" rather than the True Blue Tory he actually is. Underneath all the clowning he will still preside over a London that will become more not less economically and socially divided. He will continue to fetch and carry for his City chums while ignoring the real needs of the Capital.

Dandyman

In London village.
Boris does a good job at pretending he has no strategy - London has real issues - cost of housing, transport, the millionairization of some boroughs whilst exporting the poor. By refusing to use the powers the mayoralty gives him and reducing the role to bus manager, Boris can support all of the government policies. There is no challenge and people will only care when no workers can afford to access London to do the menial jobs which need to be done

Spot on.

Here's an idea for any of you interested in becoming politicians. Before you go out canvessing for votes, learn about the people in the area you're about to visit. For example, if you're visiting an area which has a lot of bus drivers living in it...don't go knocking on doors saying about the need to get rid of bus drivers!

Ok Ken?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Christ you really are an idiot, you're still harping on about the time it took him to run a marathon ! So what if it took him over six hours, at least he had ago, which is a lot more than the majority of people on this board have done.
Let it go before you start sounding like a playground bully.

f*** off. I'm not in the mood.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
f*** off. I'm not in the mood.

Only when it suits you in the Groovy Gang eh !

And thanks for suggesting I ran a marathon as well - what a local hero you are

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Ken was a mistake ( as I posted previously), a political dinosaur who the outer London voters would, and indeed have rejected.

Boris is like marmite, love him or loathe him.

The problem I have is that the three top political jobs in the country are held by the Eton elite and in the famous lyrics ' what chance have we got against the tie and the crest'.........

We are being run by the 1%, and that saddens me.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
There's no doubt it was Boris's likability "wot won it" but when you think about it, what's he really done as Mayor? He's got rid of the bendy buses but I can't really think of much else. The so called "Boris bikes" was Livingstone's idea and under Boris, fares have gone up much faster than inflation. His reaction to the riots was pathetic, when he finally got round to come back from his holiday. Yet despite his obvious short comings he was able to win because of personality. Livinsgtone, who I think, has been a good Mayor in the past, was a poor choice for Labour this time round but I'm not sure who else could have taken Boris on and beaten him, certainly not Oona King. David Miliband perhaps?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Except of course, you don't. He was elected by presenting himself as "Brand Boris" rather than the True Blue Tory he actually is. Underneath all the clowning he will still preside over a London that will become more not less economically and socially divided. He will continue to fetch and carry for his City chums while ignoring the real needs of the Capital.

What are the "real needs of the capital"

As far as I am concerned London is all about the city and should be treated as such

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think anyone but Ken could have taken him, in a protest vote more than anything. The thing is Ken has shown himself over the election to be unlikeable and seemingly out of touch. Regardless of how Boris really is, the way he presents himself makes him likeable to people. To me, at a glance, Ken looks like a right scheming bastard, and Boris looks like a loveable fool. Based solely on that (and that's all a lot of people take into account when voting) Boris takes it.

If Labour had selected someone just a bit more likeable, they could have taken the election. As for the other parties? Well no-one seems to care all that much (which the results really show).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When Ken was elected 1st time round wasn`t he independant,correct me if i`m wrong

Correct someone else stood for Labour - Frank Field ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ooh hark at her! I bet you're sad little chap aren't you.

I sincerely apologise for swearing. I'm a rather hung over little chap today. But this is no excuse.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think anyone but Ken could have taken him, in a protest vote more than anything. The thing is Ken has shown himself over the election to be unlikeable and seemingly out of touch. Regardless of how Boris really is, the way he presents himself makes him likeable to people. To me, at a glance, Ken looks like a right scheming bastard, and Boris looks like a loveable fool. Based solely on that (and that's all a lot of people take into account when voting) Boris takes it.

If Labour had selected someone just a bit more likeable, they could have taken the election. As for the other parties? Well no-one seems to care all that much (which the results really show).

Absolutely agree, Boris is a 'character', Livingstone is a fossil. If Labour had put someone up with an ounce of personality they would have walked it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here