Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Today

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Before I criticise the booers today I want to say that I'm not one of the Tim Lovejoys of this world that thinks that fans should never boo a team no matter how they play. Personally I think with the amount of money you pay to watch a match the minimum you can expect is a lot of effort and at least competence (for most matches), and sometimes a round of booing is a kick up the arse to demonstrate that as people who put a lot of time and money into a club we're not happy.

However, today the booing was embarrassing and frankly, I never thought I'd say this, those who did should be ashamed. We are 4 games into a new season, have currently gone unbeaten and conceded just 2 goals. Not to mention the fact that we're sitting at 4th in the table.

It's true that today wasn't great, and neither was Bristol Rovers, but if you're booing at 8 points from 4 games you have a very high expectation of football. I can't help feeling that the people booing were the Withdean moaners who don't bother with away matches. It's unfortunate that we've been much better away than at home this season, and it will give people a negative outlook, but the time for booing really should be a long way off. I seem to remember in the Championship under Hinshelwood it took about 8 defeats on the spin before people started booing. Of course it is different circumstances now, but it's surely too early to start being so negative - what next? Are people going to start chanting "Adam's out"?

I don't really believe that anyone who has been to all 4 league games so far this season (and unfortunately that doesn't include me) would have booed today.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
adams out :angry:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
didn't boo but can understand why people did, been to the last 2 home games and they have basically been shit, absolutely nothing going forward think we had one shot today not really good enough is it

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Before I criticise the booers today I want to say that I'm not one of the Tim Lovejoys of this world that thinks that fans should never boo a team no matter how they play. Personally I think with the amount of money you pay to watch a match the minimum you can expect is a lot of effort and at least competence (for most matches), and sometimes a round of booing is a kick up the arse to demonstrate that as people who put a lot of time and money into a club we're not happy.

However, today the booing was embarrassing and frankly, I never thought I'd say this, those who did should be ashamed. We are 4 games into a new season, have currently gone unbeaten and conceded just 2 goals. Not to mention the fact that we're sitting at 4th in the table.

It's true that today wasn't great, and neither was Bristol Rovers, but if you're booing at 8 points from 4 games you have a very high expectation of football. I can't help feeling that the people booing were the Withdean moaners who don't bother with away matches. It's unfortunate that we've been much better away than at home this season, and it will give people a negative outlook, but the time for booing really should be a long way off. I seem to remember in the Championship under Hinshelwood it took about 8 defeats on the spin before people started booing. Of course it is different circumstances now, but it's surely too early to start being so negative - what next? Are people going to start chanting "Adam's out"?

I don't really believe that anyone who has been to all 4 league games so far this season (and unfortunately that doesn't include me) would have booed today.

I didn't boo, but came VERY close to doing so.

And I have been to both away games and all three home games including Barnet.

We wonder why home gates are crap and today when we pull a few casuals in, lots of kiddies the team doesn't turn up.

I take your point about being 4th in the table, but Orient should have won today, and Southend were on top of us until the guy got sent off. On performances so far, we are in a false position.

Let's hope they put a show on next Saturday!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What irritates me most about the booing is that thirty-odd supporters can give the impression that they are speaking for 6,000 of us.

They aren't.

A general silence with the occasional mutterings and the odd boo - I think we all had our opportunity to let the players know what we thought of the performance.

In the words of the manager 'very disappointing'.

What else would you like 'us' to have expressed?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Jesus Christ............! who cares if people boo at the end of a game.........?

Heard a few minutes of Harty on the phone-in whinging about it too.

When the Albion score, should we just sit there quietly and say nothing...? No, of course not............natural emotions of exhuberance take over.............the same is at the end of a disappointing overall performance.

It,s natural to be pissed off at the end of an uninspiring game, devoid of decent free-flowing football. If you have no emotions or passion, why on earth do you bother going to watch Brighton play football.

Players who are upset by booing, shouldn,t even be playing.......IMHO.

All I heard by the way, was grumblings of disappointment.

A general silence with the occasional mutterings and the odd boo - I think we all had our opportunity to let the players know what we thought of the performance.

In the words of the manager 'very disappointing'.

What else would you like 'us' to have expressed?

"A general silence with the occasional mutterings" pretty much sums up my reaction ... throughout the game, and at the end.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
"A general silence with the occasional mutterings" pretty much sums up my reaction ... throughout the game, and at the end.

That is your choice, no-one critises you for your silence and muttering. If others wish to express their dissatisfaction paying good money for a product as bad as that, then that is their choice to boo without being critised.

That is your choice, no-one critises you for your silence and muttering. If others wish to express their dissatisfaction paying good money for a product as bad as that, then that is their choice to boo without being critised.
I haven't criticised anyone. I simply said that booing irritates me.

If I can put up with the team's performance and still turn up next week, I can live with the supporters' reaction.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
i booed because we were absolute SHIT!

I,m not sure if the players were "absolute SHIT", or the style of play. Cox has been awful so far this season, and looks unhappy. His instructions seem to be...." within 2 seconds of receiving the ball, YOU WILL CROSS IT INTO BOX..(or try to) EVEN IF NOBODY IS THERE.......OR YOU WONT BE SELECTED...!"

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Whilst I wouldn't boo myself, we're a good side with realistic ambitions of promotion, and the last two home games have simply not been good enough. These are not school kids doing their best but lacking talent. These are decent pros. MA and all the players will know that they've put in two really rotten games at Withdean. People pay a lot and give up their time to come and see us play. On a day like today, with glorious weather, when pretty much any activity except being at Withdean would have been an afternoon well spent, I think the booing is understandable. And don't go back to slagging off Withdean supporters. We're the ones who shell out on season tickets that gives money to this club, which is more than the "I only go to the odd away game" brigade do.

Didn't boo today, but thats coz after that performance i couldn't even be arsed to do so.

Anyone saying you can't boo coz of x amount of points or whatever, what utter shite. If someone wants to boo coz they think the team didn't give their all for the club on the DAY, they do not take into consideration they had a good away win the week before.

If you went into a restaurant and they served you up an utter shit meal you wouldn't say "well the last one was great so i won't complain" would you?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
4th in league.. Unbeaten and only conceded 2 goals so far all season.. I can see why people were booing :ohmy:

Bring on Scunthorpe next saturday.. 5 Games unbeaten????
:ascarf:

Fans are booing because fans are f***ed off with Withdean, The club can sack all the managers they want but untill they give the fans a stadium they wont come back!

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
I haven't criticised anyone. I simply said that booing irritates me.

If I can put up with the team's performance and still turn up next week, I can live with the supporters' reaction.

Sorry, I mis-read your previos post. I was just try to say that if people want to boo after a game like that then fair play, we would cheer if we won.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Booing was a product of frustration. I didn't boo - but a few people around me in W stand did - a bit. Frustration is probably because we've had two piles of shit served up at home but we know what the team can do because they are doing it away. Would love to see some of that myself.

It was a poor performance - but if we'd nicked that goal at the end, people would not have booed.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Didn't boo today, but thats coz after that performance i couldn't even be arsed to do so.

Anyone saying you can't boo coz of x amount of points or whatever, what utter shite. If someone wants to boo coz they think the team didn't give their all for the club on the DAY, they do not take into consideration they had a good away win the week before.

If you went into a restaurant and they served you up an utter shit meal you wouldn't say "well the last one was great so i won't complain" would you?

I agree that there are times for booing, because clearly the fans do have a right to express what they think - whether positive or negative. I just don't see the need for booing so early in the season, with a new manager who's already got us to 4th even if some of the performances are not up to the standards people expect. Personally I don't think there was a lack of effort at all today, I can't explain why it didn't work but to me Brighton just didn't look like they had the quality rather than a lack of inclination.

I'm not having a go at the season ticket holders and the Withdean regulars poor reputation, I understand that they put a lot of money into the club - but it really shows an incredible lack of patience to be booing already this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here