Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Today

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Before I criticise the booers today I want to say that I'm not one of the Tim Lovejoys of this world that thinks that fans should never boo a team no matter how they play. Personally I think with the amount of money you pay to watch a match the minimum you can expect is a lot of effort and at least competence (for most matches), and sometimes a round of booing is a kick up the arse to demonstrate that as people who put a lot of time and money into a club we're not happy.

However, today the booing was embarrassing and frankly, I never thought I'd say this, those who did should be ashamed. We are 4 games into a new season, have currently gone unbeaten and conceded just 2 goals. Not to mention the fact that we're sitting at 4th in the table.

It's true that today wasn't great, and neither was Bristol Rovers, but if you're booing at 8 points from 4 games you have a very high expectation of football. I can't help feeling that the people booing were the Withdean moaners who don't bother with away matches. It's unfortunate that we've been much better away than at home this season, and it will give people a negative outlook, but the time for booing really should be a long way off. I seem to remember in the Championship under Hinshelwood it took about 8 defeats on the spin before people started booing. Of course it is different circumstances now, but it's surely too early to start being so negative - what next? Are people going to start chanting "Adam's out"?

I don't really believe that anyone who has been to all 4 league games so far this season (and unfortunately that doesn't include me) would have booed today.

I wasn't one of those that booed, but ... I HAVE been to all four league games and:
Crewe ... we played quite well, but they were a poor team.
Bristol R. ... we were poor.
Southend ... they were all over us until down to ten men when we played better!
Today ... very poor.

So frankly we haven't really played well for three out of the four league games this season and when we face some of the better teams playing against eleven for the whole match we will get a spanking unless we improve considerably.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
You have to look further than how many points we have gained,what was the opposition like,did we play ten men? on the standard of play are you receiving value for money. If you are not then you are entitled to boo, the next step is you do not attend matches until standards improve. This is the way to improve matters, to continue to attend despite the poor results and entertainment you get what you deserve,very little.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I can understand it, we didn't get value for money.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
MA and his mangement team must hold their hands up and admit that the team are playing virtually route one football with no ball skill on the ground and this has to be acting on their instructions. It may enable us to grind out results against weak opposition but will not fill the seats.

Aug 30, 2008
Booed because they did not want to break into a sweat, proffessionals they was not today!!

Pays yer money and can clap boo heckle or shutup!! Except if lynch moans any more!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Has to be SOME way of letting the players know they've played like absolute brainless CRUNTS

Tho was happy to give full applause to FDM who once again saved our worthless skins :clap: :clap: :clap:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
My decision to have an Albion 'gap' year after 12 years as a STH and switch to see a few more away games seems to be money well saved reading this board tonight!!

Can't help but feel a bit smuggy!!

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Before I criticise the booers today I want to say that I'm not one of the Tim Lovejoys of this world that thinks that fans should never boo a team no matter how they play. Personally I think with the amount of money you pay to watch a match the minimum you can expect is a lot of effort and at least competence (for most matches), and sometimes a round of booing is a kick up the arse to demonstrate that as people who put a lot of time and money into a club we're not happy.

However, today the booing was embarrassing and frankly, I never thought I'd say this, those who did should be ashamed. We are 4 games into a new season, have currently gone unbeaten and conceded just 2 goals. Not to mention the fact that we're sitting at 4th in the table.

It's true that today wasn't great, and neither was Bristol Rovers, but if you're booing at 8 points from 4 games you have a very high expectation of football. I can't help feeling that the people booing were the Withdean moaners who don't bother with away matches. It's unfortunate that we've been much better away than at home this season, and it will give people a negative outlook, but the time for booing really should be a long way off. I seem to remember in the Championship under Hinshelwood it took about 8 defeats on the spin before people started booing. Of course it is different circumstances now, but it's surely too early to start being so negative - what next? Are people going to start chanting "Adam's out"?

I don't really believe that anyone who has been to all 4 league games so far this season (and unfortunately that doesn't include me) would have booed today.

I had a row with Micky Adams about this at the Grand Hotel once after we'd drawn 0-0 with York City. Although I was actually agreeing with him that whisl the performance wasn't good it didn't warrant it. I'd say the same about today. We've made a decent steady start and we'd all like to see a hat full of goals, but we're still unbeaten and there are some promising signs.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I was so incenced by Harty yesterday I almost phoned in. People have EVERY right to boo. The performance was utter toilet and so was the one against Bristol Rovers. People pay £ 25 quid of their hard earned to go and watch and the least they can expect is a team who give a shit and at least try. We have not done that both home games. Leyton Orient deserved to win by 3 or 4, they wanted it more than us simple as.

If the players are going to run home to their mummy's because some nasty people booed them they need to get a much thicker skin. Why should footballers be exempt from having to perform in their jobs. Everyone else does and is accountable if they do not.

I did not boo but I did shout out loudly that was fecking rubbish at the end.

Harty who said sth's who booed can take their tickets back for a refund as the club do not need them should make a public apology Tuesday.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
To be fair Harty does not pay for his ticket. I am a big Harty supporter but he was out of order yesterday.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
To be fair Harty does not pay for his ticket. I am a big Harty supporter but he was out of order yesterday.

I'm sure he once said he does pay for his season ticket seat every year, even though he gets his press tickets.

Just to help keep the club going, like...

To clarify, I wasn't one of the boo-ers yesterday, but only because I couldn't be bothered. Kuipers earned his applause at the end, ans seemed like one of the few to actually give a toss yesterday!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Is a difficult situation... on one hand yesterday was very poor and those people who have paid their money have a right to be pissed off.

However it is early in the season and although not playing well we are still 4th and unbeaten so maybe booing may have been harsh on a side that are misfiring at present.

As for Harty's comments, surely he is allowed to voice his opinions about the booers so if anyone is upset by what he said maybe they shouldn't be so precious.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Harty who said sth's who booed can take their tickets back for a refund as the club do not need them should make a public apology Tuesday.

Why? Ian Hart is not an employee of the club. He is a fan and is just as much entitled to his opinion as the fans who chose to boo the team. Nevertheless, he IS clearly wrong - the club will go to the wall without the STHs.

To me, what happened yesterday is just a reflection of society as it is now. People used to pay their money to go to see a football match in the full knowledge that there is a possibility that they will see a bad performance (part and parcel of the game). Now fans see themselves as 'consumers', and have an EXPECTATION their team must entertain (or at least be answerable for its performance in the same way that they (the fans) are in their own working lives). And people want success - and NOW. This is not a criticism, but I do think it's pretty sad in a way.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
To me, what happened yesterday is just a reflection of society as it is now. People used to pay their money to go to see a football match in the full knowledge that there is a possibility that they will see a bad performance (part and parcel of the game). Now fans see themselves as 'consumers', and have an EXPECTATION their team must entertain (or at least be answerable for its performance in the same way that they (the fans) are in their own working lives). And people want success - and NOW. This is not a criticism, but I do think it's pretty sad in a way.

:thumbsup::bowdown:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why? Ian Hart is not an employee of the club. He is a fan and is just as much entitled to his opinion as the fans who chose to boo the team. Nevertheless, he IS clearly wrong - the club will go to the wall without the STHs.

:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here