Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing our players

3gulls said:
Not much applauding going on where I was, were you actually at the match plastic? :lolol:

Well 3rd Riech, there was plenty where I was. I'm thinking you probably pissed off with all the other "I'm too good for the Albion" prima donnas after the 2nd goal went in.

Uncle Buck said:
Most people on this thread agree that it is not really the thing to do to boo a player before or during a game.

Except that happened twice to McCammon, both before and during the game. Hell will freeze over though before you take a consistent stance and back up those this fine words above by saying it's out of order and shouldn't be encouraged. You'll either pretend you never heard it or produce a million different excuses about why it's inevitable.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Except that happened twice to McCammon, both before and during the game. Hell will freeze over though before you take a consistent stance and back up those this fine words above by saying it's out of order and shouldn't be encouraged. You'll either pretend you never heard it or produce a million different excuses about why it's inevitable.

OK as stated I was not in the ground when the teams were announced, I missed the beginning of the second half as I was still in the bar. Whether or not he got booed towards the end of the second half I do not know or really care about.

Now not sure what your point is other than as ever to get the last word in, but give it a rest. For a change it is you rather than me trying to get jibes in and to be honest Steve it is boring. If you want to talk about the game then fine, but lets kill the attacking, have tried to give it a rest after our spate a while back but if you want a war then fine.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bloody nora. Have you got nothing better to do London Irish then try and start arguments with Uncle Buck?

:jester:

Everyone knows it is ok to boo players if they are THAT rubbish...;)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
For the record, Uncle C, I have never booed an Albion player but I don't see any problem with voicing opinions about performances at a ground.

Last season I shouted 'sort it out McGhee' after a match and he was in the paper saying he heard it being shouted and would do something about it. Is that wrong too?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
brightonfan_86 said:
Where i was sitting people infront of me, booed Big Mac when he even touched the ball, he did well on Saturday and people who boo your own players are complete muppets.

'ere 'ere.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not wanting to go too far from the original debate I think it is FINE to boo your own players.

You are paying for a service.

If you go to the theatre and the play is crap you would not just clap and cheer at the end out of politeness.

If you go for a meal and the food is rubbish you would complain.

Therefore if you go to watch football and some useless Millwall reject continuously falls over the ball then it is ok to boo them.

I seem to remember people saying that Sunderland's fans had every right to boo McArthey when they went off the pitch at half time at Withdean last season because they were clearly passionate fans who deserved more and had paid a lot of money to travel so far to watch their team play rubbish.

Dont see any difference to be honest.

Uncle Buck said:
To be honest people on here's working conditions and those of a professional sports person are very different. There are laws against employers bullying, but if you work in customer services, you can expect a certain amount of flack from unhappy paying customers, if the product is not good enough.

Footballers, even at this level are generally paid a lot more than most of us and part of their job is to entertain. If they are not delivering the said product there are certain ways for the paying customer to express their unhappiness, one is through critcism at the game, another by withdrawing their support.

You example suggests it is yourself that needs a reality check for trying to compare someones working condtions in an office with those of somebody who is paid to produce results and entertain.

These are some serious comments but they sum up where I feel you end up going wrong.

You are making out that football is an entertainment product like any others, watching a film, going to the circus, or having a meal (to use the example of your faithful echo, the fanzine genius). And that we imbibe all these products as "consumers".

Don't you think being a football supporters is much more than that? To reduce us to consumers of entertainment products is wrong.

As supporters we have a far greater loyalty and attachment to the team and the players than that. We are not going to disappear the week after if they serve up a bad performance. We are not going to disappear up the road if another football club puts on a better entertainment "product" and we think, as detached consumers, we might get a better entertainment "experience" there.

I'm afraid Bucky your philosophy of watching football is not a million miles away from the stereotype of the Prawn sandwich ManU fan who only cares about his own self-gratification.

On the contrary, as loyal football supporters, we have to be as one with the players and do everything we can to get behind them. Our loyalty is constant and absolute.

WE ARE NOT CONSUMERS - WE ARE SUPPORTERS.

Richie Morris said:
What a GREAT intellectual response LI. Well done.

Homophobe.

:lolol: You really are on top FOOLISH form tonight Richie.

You're never going to get any better, are you :)

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
London Irish said:
I'm afraid Bucky your philosophy of watching football is not a million miles away from the stereotype of the Prawn sandwich ManU fan who only cares about his own self-gratification.

He's gonna bash his bishop over that one later!

:D:D:D:D:D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
fatboy said:
He's gonna bash his bishop over that one later!

:D:D:D:D:D

I wouldn't blame him either - what a slur

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here