Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold ambition: Zaha believes he is ready for the Premier League

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
A lot of this is true Andy and I think it is the right policy . We , more than anyone , should know the importance of not chasing the dream , we must try to balance the books every so often . In this league you will not make money but you must minimise your loses without undermining your chances of success too much , a very hard thing to do !

I trust our owners 100% to do what's best and if selling Wilf is the best solution then we will have to accept it as sad as it is . If you are struggling financially with big crowds then it is a worry .

True about our crowds and loosing money, but that is why the demonised Barber has come in, isn't it? If Zaha goes for £8 million but you owners were expecting £12-15 million then the income in your financial model is significantly lower than planned aswell, and so you guys should be worried (maybe that is why your owners have been bigging him up season).

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Him and Bolasie would easily make it into the premier league, the question is which team. I can see Arsenal going in for Zaha, but I've been more impressed with Bolasie. But I suppose that comes from him being slightly older and more matured in the game.

I do hope Zaha chooses England as his international team, he is and I hate to admit it, what England needs in terms of a technical, pacey player.

I'm in agreement again , feck me , but on his day Wilf is unplayable . The trouble is since his England debut he has gone off the boil . This is the combination of a number of things I feel .

Firstly he is very young and thus relies on his family and advisors for advice .
He is probably missing Dougie , who was like a mentor to him
And lastly he has started to believe the hype .

In my view Wilf must knuckle down and get back to what he does best , if he can do that he will be a big part of the second half of the season if not he will go sooner rather than later .

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
True about our crowds and loosing money, but that is why the demonised Barber has come in, isn't it? If Zaha goes for £8 million but you owners were expecting £12-15 million then the income in your financial model is significantly lower than planned aswell, and so you guys should be worried (maybe that is why your owners have been bigging him up season).

We know we have to sell to try to balance the books and Wilf is own chief asset . I would be worried under previous ownerships but less so with the present ones .

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I think £8 million for Zaha is a good price if it helps Palace balance the books a bit. Question is would Olly see any of that to get a replacement? Their saving grace is Bolassie who doesn't seem to be any where near as high profile as Zaha is at the moment. Do Palace have any other academy wingers who could step up? I would have thought Arsenal would be a better fit for Zaha, particularly if Walcott is now going to play more centrally.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think £8 million for Zaha is a good price if it helps Palace balance the books a bit. Question is would Olly see any of that to get a replacement? Their saving grace is Bolassie who doesn't seem to be any where near as high profile as Zaha is at the moment. Do Palace have any other academy wingers who could step up? I would have thought Arsenal would be a better fit for Zaha, particularly if Walcott is now going to play more centrally.

Get a £2M offer for Murray and the books are balanced

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I'm in agreement again , feck me , but on his day Wilf is unplayable . The trouble is since his England debut he has gone off the boil . This is the combination of a number of things I feel .

Firstly he is very young and thus relies on his family and advisors for advice .

In my view Wilf must knuckle down and get back to what he does best , if he can do that he will be a big part of the second half of the season if not he will go sooner rather than later .

I hate to admit it, but him and Bolasie against Huddersfield was a joy to watch, linked up really well. Bolasie's flick on to Zaha's rocket goal. I couldn't help but enjoy watching it, we've got so use to sideways passing then back to the back four to Greer hoofing it because he's under pressure I can appreciate other styles of play much more.

In regards to him believing the hype, why shouldn't he? He's young and eager to make himself known. He should be full of confidence and belief, otherwise he'll just get no where in the end. I wouldn't compare him to Ronaldo, but he has a big ego - and look how he plays, with absolute confidence that he can get around anyone.

But 2013 will be his most important year, I think a top 4 club may be the wrong choice. Look at Moses, spent a few years at Wigan, now a regular starter for Chelsea and is brilliant to watch.

But of course, when our academy is established, we can discuss how awesome our academy players are ;D

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Do you not think that Steve Parish has not helped here. He is constantly in the media talking up his price. Surely, as chairman and if he wants to keep Zaha's feet on the ground, you don't promote how good he is at every opportunity.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Do you not think that Steve Parish has not helped here. He is constantly in the media talking up his price. Surely, as chairman and if he wants to keep Zaha's feet on the ground, you don't promote how good he is at every opportunity.

I was thinking the other day, is there any other owners or Chairman in the whole of english football who are on the radio or t.v more than Steve Parish? I think they talk too much, and that isn't always a good thing.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011

Zaha will go for a lot more than £8m. All the talk in the papers over the last few weeks is that opening bids of around £10m will be coming in at the start of January. That's the opening bid. If he actually leaves, the sum (including addons obviously) will be much higher than £8m.

CPFC2010 have said that Ian has a lot of money to spend in January. "This is our best chance of promotion in years and we'd be mad not to spend on a few players to try to make sure it happens" etc. Ian has been talking since he joined about getting to the January transfer window with our promotion ambitions intact, so that we can spend to secure a few quality players.

We're reportedly after Eardley from Blackpool, Adomah from Bristol City, DJ Campbell and David Vaughan from Sunderland. That'd see us up.

As for academy replacements, we've just got little Jonny Williams back from injury who is pure class. Also Kyle de Silva is coming back from injury and we'll be looking to get him into the first team wherever possible.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Can't see him going for £8 mill tbh.
As other Palace posters have said, on his day he is unplayable, and in the Premier league he won't be marked by 3 defenders every time the ball is at his feet.
I reckon it will be £10 mill with add ons/ players coming to us.
Straight fight between Arsenal and Man U .

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If it can be believed then that's not a bad opening offer . If Wilf does go the fee will not be made public so maybe we will never know . But if Norwich are rumoured to be in for CMS for £5 m then we should hope for a good fee regardless .
If CMS goes for £5m then Zaha is worth about £15m, minimum.

Quite a good thread this with lots of sensible posts from the Palace contingent! What's the matter, have you all turned over a new leaf for 2013? :lol:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I think you'll find, apart from the odd one or two, that we like sensible debate, but with a bit of mickey taking thrown in !
Happy new year !!!

.......hope you stay up !

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Wont go for more than 10 million maybe a bit more with add on's but then there will be clauses games played etc, and what ever the agreed fee wont be paid in one lump.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Zaha will go for a lot more than £8m. All the talk in the papers over the last few weeks is that opening bids of around £10m will be coming in at the start of January. That's the opening bid. If he actually leaves, the sum (including addons obviously) will be much higher than £8m.

CPFC2010 have said that Ian has a lot of money to spend in January. "This is our best chance of promotion in years and we'd be mad not to spend on a few players to try to make sure it happens" etc. Ian has been talking since he joined about getting to the January transfer window with our promotion ambitions intact, so that we can spend to secure a few quality players.

We're reportedly after Eardley from Blackpool, Adomah from Bristol City, DJ Campbell and David Vaughan from Sunderland.

Wont that lot cost in the region of 8million ? If so why not keep Wilf and try and go up with him or is there a possiblity that you could sell him and loan him back for the rest of the season ?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Wont that lot cost in the region of 8million ? If so why not keep Wilf and try and go up with him or is there a possiblity that you could sell him and loan him back for the rest of the season ?

The media are trying to make it out like he wants to leave in January. If this is the case, it's best to let him go rather than have an unsettled player on our books.

If Wilf wants to stay, I have no doubt that we'll keep him and try to go up with him.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
If I were Parish, I'd take £8m absolute minimum, with add-ons then a request to have him loaned for the rest of the season to help make a push for promotion. That'd appear financially sound. You'd have the immediate income, the add-ons then the money from the premier league.

That would be the most sensible option, hell. I'd throw in "Every international appearence as a result of premier league appearences in there.." (Doubt that'd happen, but imagine the steady cash flow in the long term..)

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Get a £2M offer for Murray and the books are balanced

Murray is worth a hell of a lot more than that to us. 22 goals before the new year? Top goalscorer in English football? Murray could easily be the difference between automatic promotion and midtable.

CMS is only a year younger than Murray, and is apparently worth £3m despite scoring less than half as many goals as Murray?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here