Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] BOE: The UK is like a coiled spring.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Are you

• Better off

Votes: 66 49.6%
  • Worse off

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • About the same

Votes: 39 29.3%

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As a super moderator, could you please make this a poll please?:)

No one wants to specifically say I am better off or worse off, which is totally understandable.

Given that none of us have access to your personal finances, it would also be quite difficult.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed. I wouldn't say I was living in poverty but I'm definitely struggling and I'm not alone, I know people who have lost jobs and finding it hard to make ends meet

There's a lot of pain out there

There is, which is why I wondered at the motive of the OP wanting to post a poll, and eliminating anonymity.
It has sod all to do with anyone else as to whether I am better off or worse off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't want to ruin your dreams, but creosote was banned years ago.

Bloody PC gone mad BBC! Literally nothing is sacred.

3049266930_055409c35a_o.gif

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The day I was standing by the main road working out which car would be best to throw myself in front of, my accountant later claimed that I had more money than I would need for the rest of my life, so basically monetary wealth is not the be all and end all, clearly poverty isn't ideal either but I doubt any NSC'ers are in that catergory.

The 'richest' amongst us on NSC are the ones who are thankful for what they've got, appreciate, nurture and care their family and friends, and hopefully nearly every day can put their head on the pillow at night and say that they've had a good day and done their best, whilst trying not to offend or upset anyone else (Which can be challenge on here sometimes:) )

Not sure where you draw the poverty line.
EuBuPpyWgAIhZUC.png

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure where you draw the poverty line.

its drawn at 60% below average household income.*

(* variation for size of household, children, pensioners, other exceptions. subject to change on an annual review.)

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not sure what that data is supposed to prove - they are percentages of a whole group of people that are by definition living in some sort of poverty (ie below a living wage) - I'm surprised some of the numbers aren't higher. How many people are below the line ?

If you want percentages take it up with the Fascist Mods who wouldn't add a poll (please don't actually do that).
It is however highly likely that there are people on NSC living in poverty (probably with smart phones and large screen TVs)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
£30370. but note its houshold income that counts which is £29,600 apparently.

But there's always been this argument that this figure includes everyone who draws a wage in this country, from the CEO at Bet 365 the highest earner in this country downwards, I wonder what the average wage would be for the standard tax bracket?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a very simplistic poll.

Your income could have gone down by 10% but because you can't go anywhere or do anything, your expenditure could have gone down by 11%.

Therefore, you might have 1% more cash, but does this make you "better off"?

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
But there's always been this argument that this figure includes everyone who draws a wage in this country, from the CEO at Bet 365 the highest earner in this country downwards, I wonder what the average wage would be for the standard tax bracket?

First website I came to from a quick Google, so not particularly authoritative, but there are only about 300,000 people earning over £150,000 out of roughly 30,000,000 working-age adults in the country, so 1%. They do not swing the figures by very much.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/04/17/ineq-a17.html

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You could get a median by simply looking at the boundary levels. Basic was 12501 - 50000 in 2020 giving you 31250. You'd need an awful lot of data to get an accurate mean for everyone in that band.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you want percentages take it up with the Fascist Mods who wouldn't add a poll (please don't actually do that).
It is however highly likely that there are people on NSC living in poverty (probably with smart phones and large screen TVs)

Don't think that was the point I was making. The posted page shows a few indicators of what those already below the living wage have had to do............so I'm actually surprised the % numbers in some cases aren't higher.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

household income is also including all the part-timers, freelancers, pensioners and benefits recipient. average wage would include the first two. either way the poverty stats are manipulated enough without tinkering with the base data.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here