Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] BOE: The UK is like a coiled spring.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Are you

• Better off

Votes: 66 49.6%
  • Worse off

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • About the same

Votes: 39 29.3%

• Total voters

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The day I was standing by the main road working out which car would be best to throw myself in front of, my accountant later claimed that I had more money than I would need for the rest of my life, so basically monetary wealth is not the be all and end all, clearly poverty isn't ideal either but I doubt any NSC'ers are in that catergory.

The 'richest' amongst us on NSC are the ones who are thankful for what they've got, appreciate, nurture and care their family and friends, and hopefully nearly every day can put their head on the pillow at night and say that they've had a good day and done their best, whilst trying not to offend or upset anyone else (Which can be challenge on here sometimes:) )

Give me some of your wealth Ian and unburden yourself.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
During Lockdown I have managed to save a deposit for a house for the first time.

My outgoings each month spent on social were eye watering. The lockdown has finally shown and gave me a good slap in the face that I need to be more careful with Money.

Although once out i expect to be worse off for the price hikes in everything in trying to get back to some sort of normality.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
My income is fortunately unaffected . My spending curtailed. No football season ticket to pay for ,Sitting indoors/Takeaways/Supermarket Beer a lot cheaper than Restaurant and Pub.
So I`m financially better off !! To the tune of about £150 month.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Your sentiments are right in that money can’t buy happiness but I think you are wrong in doubting any NSCers are in the category of poverty. Posters aren’t going to say so, if they are.
I personally know people who have lost their jobs in the past twelve months and are struggling.

Indeed. I wouldn't say I was living in poverty but I'm definitely struggling and I'm not alone, I know people who have lost jobs and finding it hard to make ends meet

There's a lot of pain out there

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Creosote has been banned for years.
Does this mean we are free to buy it again since leaving the E.U. ?

Why didn’t Brexiteers use this in their argument

I'm guessing it's now some water based crap instead that is as effective as Matt Ryan coming out for a cross? Sod the economy, it can stay untreated.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Better off as not driving to work which was costing around £30 a week also saving on not going out. Firm has however decided to close all offices south of Birmingham offering new jobs at 2/3rds of what they pay now with much worse holiday and sick entitlement so a few thousand looking at VLR packages. I'm lucky because I can pull my pension a fair few of the others will need something else due to having young families

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Don't want to ruin your dreams, but creosote was banned years ago.

You can still buy it if you're a 'professional'... 205 litres do you?

Creosote-Drum.jpg

https://www.creosotesales.co.uk/shopping/product/traditional-creosote-205-ltr/

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How are NSC members and their overall wealth as of TODAY?

Are wealthy than last Feb, pre pandemic?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56035488

**This was supposed to be a poll, but didn't get any options can a mod please make it one to hide any anonymity.

Options:

Better off
Worse Off
The same

For sure there will be a rebound, but Covid related issues are only part of it, business is being lost to the EU, with no chance of recovering it with the current deal. The economy will be smaller in 2022 than it was in 2019 unless something changes with the EU trade arrangements.

Personally better off financially, had more work rather than less since all this started, and of course, less opportunity to spend it, but I don't see there being a huge splurge of spending when things are back to normal from my household, just a return to closer to normal expenditure. I think a few differences will persist to some degree, get togethers in peoples homes and gardens rather than a night in the boozer will be more common than before, lots of now well practiced DIY barbers may see less people visiting a barbers shop, or blokes on the edge of baldness having taken the plunge and gone smooth, a general noticing of how much cash we all spent on those little incidentals might see a few less coffee's from starbucks, etc. as more will see clearly the benefit of watching the pennies, and more companies operating with WFH will see less of those incidentals too.
There will also be those who have used, or plan to use, any excess cash to pay down debt, rather than spend. I don't think the rebound will be particularly spectacular, and will be hampered by Brexit, but it might come sooner here than elsewhere if we get the vaccinations done soonest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Doing alright. All the bafoons in this country have kept my overtime gravy train going for the last 12 months.

Is it spelling classes you supply? If so, I can see why you might get repeat trade.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As for the original question, I am healthy and still working. I take neither for granted but am grateful for both.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Wife took redundancy last Jan, started own business and now has only been able to work for approx. 12 of the last applicable 48 weeks.

Burnt through lots of redundancy cash and now living off my salary. It’s ok but clearly if anything happens to my job or lockdown goes on much longer then we’re a bit ****ed. So no. Personal finances less like a coiled spring and more like a broken slinky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here