Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] BOE: The UK is like a coiled spring.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Are you

• Better off

Votes: 66 49.6%
  • Worse off

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • About the same

Votes: 39 29.3%

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm thinking of going to B&Q and buying some creosote for the fence when it gets spring like if that helps.

That a great start, can you get extra and come and do mine too! If only you could still get proper creosote, I once dropped a mobile phone in a bucket full of it, the phone died on entry.

Two sides to every story, and wise people look at both sides.

Totally agree, if only both sides of things in life were looked at by everyone. That is why you like to hear my side!

both. one is report from BoE on the wide economy as a whole. the other is a report from FCA on individuals being in financial difficulty. one is forward looking, the other recent or current state.

The media love to go on the negative, so much so I think they are shooting themselves in the foot now, I have not believed a word they say for yonks, and many other people are following that route now.

D

Deleted member 2719

A strange attitude to take from someone who didn't believe BoE warnings about the consequences of Brexit

I have not said that I am right behind them on this, but I could be, I want to see some facts, albeit NSC are quiet often wrong on the big polls on predictions, but this one should actually be based on facts and right up EL Pres street surely.

I am still awaiting the mods to do a poll to see where we all sit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry to hear about the redundancy.

But as you sit at the moment looking at the overall picture when lockdown comes do you think you might be ready to uncoil?

I did the same thing with the wife's Honda!

Don't be sorry - it was 100% my choice and I'm very happy about it.......brought my retirement forward a bit from what I'd always planned so all good :) Had to grab the chance while it was there

Anyway - yes, definitely. I think the BoE are absolutely right - there is a massive amount of spending waiting to happen both in financial terms as people haven't been spending during the pandemic but also emotionally - the ability to do 'normal' things like eat out,travel and even go wandering around the shops will be a huge pull. Savings and personal debt repayment have been at very high levels during the pandemic. I do feel though for all those that have lost businesses/jobs and are struggling - hopefully they can recover as the economy properly springs back to life.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What about fewer car expenses and holidays???

Or are we talking less income?

Those of us who've had to travel to work and not seen any pay rise for a few years are worse off. I hate the term, but in real terms I've been getting gradually worse off for nearly 20 years. THankfully Mrs Zefs career trajectory is the opposite of engineering. So we're about evens at a guess

The spring may be 'coiled' but half the coils have snapped IMO so there won't be much bounce for many, just the chosen few as normal.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A strange attitude to take from someone who didn't believe BoE warnings about the consequences of Brexit

download.jpg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think the need for continued measures through the rest of 2020 will have a big impact on how much rebound there can be, all venues will need to be covid secure and social distancing adhered to and have restricted capacities and I still don't see nightclubs etc open at all.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm wealthier than last February purely because I got a job last July, I was previously out of one for 9 months. So that must skew the poll somewhat.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Those of us who've had to travel to work and not seen any pay rise for a few years are worse off. I hate the term, but in real terms I've been getting gradually worse off for nearly 20 years. THankfully Mrs Zefs career trajectory is the opposite of engineering. So we're about evens at a guess

The spring may be 'coiled' but half the coils have snapped IMO so there won't be much bounce for many, just the chosen few as normal.

Those that have, have more as they haven’t spent it, but many have lost jobs, been furloughed, had to borrow to make ends meet, or even worse had to use food banks.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think the need for continued measures through the rest of 2020 will have a big impact on how much rebound there can be, all venues will need to be covid secure and social distancing adhered to and have restricted capacities and I still don't see nightclubs etc open at all.

I agree.

As mentioned on the crowds thread people may have the choice of

1. Nights out in the pub with Potentially masks/distancing/Not moving about/scanning in an out

2. Having friends from with none of the above and cheaper

It’s a no brainer for me.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
[MENTION=28389]This is me[/MENTION] is probably quite a strong contender too.

So wealth is nothing to do with the amount of money you have but everything to do with the number of accounts you have?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The day I was standing by the main road working out which car would be best to throw myself in front of, my accountant later claimed that I had more money than I would need for the rest of my life, so basically monetary wealth is not the be all and end all, clearly poverty isn't ideal either but I doubt any NSC'ers are in that catergory.

The 'richest' amongst us on NSC are the ones who are thankful for what they've got, appreciate, nurture and care their family and friends, and hopefully nearly every day can put their head on the pillow at night and say that they've had a good day and done their best, whilst trying not to offend or upset anyone else (Which can be challenge on here sometimes:) )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here