Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob watch tonight

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interfering with an opponent

Preventing the opponent from playing the ball by obstructing the players sight or intentionally distracting the opponent

You do not have to play or make a move for the ball to be considered offside. Interfering with play is deemed to be offside.

Without trying to sound like ' I told you so' if you go to Fifa.com Laws of the game Law 11 Offside it is an interactive translation of the law giving examples and one example under Active Play show exactly the situation of tonight except that the attacker is nearer the goal than the keeper. It catergorically states that being in an offside position is not offside unlessthe player makes an attempt to play the ball or stop an opponent from playing it or seek to gain an advantage by being there and being able to react quickest..

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
he had a good first half, appalling second. A bit like Fulham really!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Without trying to sound like ' I told you so' if you go to Fifa.com Laws of the game Law 11 Offside it is an interactive translation of the law giving examples and one example under Active Play show exactly the situation of tonight except that the attacker is nearer the goal than the keeper. It catergorically states that being in an offside position is not offside unlessthe player makes an attempt to play the ball or stop an opponent from playing it or seek to gain an advantage by being there and being able to react quickest..

From FIFA.com

Offence

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball
touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee,
involved in active play by:

interfering with play or
interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From FIFA.com

Offence

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball
touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee,
involved in active play by:

interfering with play or
interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position

Neither applied in this case and you have chosen to omit the part about making an attempt to play the ball. The chances of a player gettting pulled up for that without making a move to play the ball is virtually nil as there would be no evidence to suggest that he was either interfering with play or an opponent. It is all down to interpretation of the law by those in charge ie the ref and lino.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I haven't chosen to omit it. I am perfectly happy to accept that 'attempting to play the ball' is definitely offside, but that is neither here nor there when applying the other rules.

It clearly states that a player can be offside by interfering with play or interfering with an opponent (i.e. blocking the view of the goalkeeper). I am not sure what you are having trouble with here...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Zamora was the best player on the pitch in the 1st half with a great goal and several excellent passes and attacking play. The 2nd half Fulham were battered for the 29 minutes Zamora was on so as a striker what could he do ?. He was taken off as he was getting frustrated and Hodgson could see him being sent off and a 3 match ban. Capello has gone to 3 matches in the last month just to watch Zamora and he scored in all 3 so what more can he do. I think however rehardless of worth it is too late now to break through with just over 2 months to go. Shame as behind Rooney he is as good as anyone at the moment.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think Anderton called it spot on when he talked about Zamora's confidence. He lost it at Tottenham, didn't really do it for his home club West Ham and is only now some 6 years later getting it back. However well he does this season there has to remain doubts about his ability to step up at international level, simply because it's taken him so long at premiership level. However doing it against Juventus might counter that argument to some degree. Presuming Defoe is fit i'd take Rooney, Defoe, Crouch and Heskey. I don't believe Heskey is any better than Bobby, but he has the experience of playing with rooney and will link with him better. If bobby can prove this is no one season wonder then we might see him in the euro qualifiers and in that tournament.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think Anderton called it spot on when he talked about Zamora's confidence. He lost it at Tottenham, didn't really do it for his home club West Ham and is only now some 6 years later getting it back. However well he does this season there has to remain doubts about his ability to step up at international level, simply because it's taken him so long at premiership level. However doing it against Juventus might counter that argument to some degree. Presuming Defoe is fit i'd take Rooney, Defoe, Crouch and Heskey. I don't believe Heskey is any better than Bobby, but he has the experience of playing with rooney and will link with him better. If bobby can prove this is no one season wonder then we might see him in the euro qualifiers and in that tournament.

Hav eto agree with that - may be too much risk to take Bobby and may set him back if he went and was not used.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Zamora was vry successful at West Ham with a good goalscoring record. He got about 7 starts at Spurs so should not be judged on that.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We (Brighton & England) need a left footed forward behind our main striker (in the absence of a left footed midfielder/winger.

Looking at the goals. He looks a better player than Mike Robinson was.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Today's Guardian match report:

"...a pass behind the defence put Bobby Zamora into space. There, before the watching Fabio Capello, he slid in an instant finish for the 17th goal of what is now his finest season."

In the Premiership, yes. But do his two title-winning seasons with us match or better a 'good' Premiership season?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Zamora was the best player on the pitch in the 1st half with a great goal and several excellent passes and attacking play. The 2nd half Fulham were battered for the 29 minutes Zamora was on so as a striker what could he do ?. He was taken off as he was getting frustrated and Hodgson could see him being sent off and a 3 match ban. Capello has gone to 3 matches in the last month just to watch Zamora and he scored in all 3 so what more can he do. I think however rehardless of worth it is too late now to break through with just over 2 months to go. Shame as behind Rooney he is as good as anyone at the moment.

No, No he wasnt.

He missed a headed chance and Hit a couple of wayward passes.

Murphy is the one that Makes them tick

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Zamora was vry successful at West Ham with a good goalscoring record. He got about 7 starts at Spurs so should not be judged on that.

....and of course he had that idiot Hoddle to contend with!!
Wasn't it he who said "Owen is not a natural goalscorer." :facepalm:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No, No he wasnt.

He missed a headed chance and Hit a couple of wayward passes.

Murphy is the one that Makes them tick

The header you refer to the ball was too high to steer it or get power on it, I must have missed the stray passes in the 1st half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here