Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob Booker - a man without responsibility?

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
sir danny cullip said:
Anyone else heard the rumor that he's having an affair with Nicky Keg Shevlin (sp?!) off the southern FM breakfast show? ???

Rumour??? Affair??? What kind of a world do you live in? Grubby, as depicted in Screws of the World?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barnet Seagull said:
Booker's PRIMARY resposibility IMO is to motivate the playing staff.

Personally, I reckon he's always done a great job.

Didn't do a very good job yesterday as for the first 15 minutes they all looked and played like they didn't want to be there and were scared stiff of making mistakes hence the mistakes occurred.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Thought i would bounce this thread as i feel it is an important point.

Not that i have anything against Booker or Dean White for that matter, but of late i have questioned the coaching that actually goes on at the club.

With McGhee on the phone all the time trying to attract players i assume the training is left to Bob and Dean.

Our general play has not changed but set pieces, both attacking and defending are f***ing woeful...we seem to have a variety of players taking them, sometimes Chippy, sometimes Carole, sometimes Mayo.... and there never seems to be any creative thought behind them...just hit and f***ing hope.

Is it time for some fresh ideas on the training ground

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Is it a case of cant afford to pay them off or DK is too nice to sack people.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
my english teacher said nice means good to eat so never use it for a person so I have disobeyed him. i doubt DK is good to eat but surely you dont make money by being soft in business. I dunno whether loyalty to Booker and White is a good thing. I know White watches a lot of players and recommended fallon of Swindon in December but DK did not want to shell out the 100k asking price for whatever reason - Fallon went for abit more than that later on.

I think not a risk taker describes DK best

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Stinky Kat said:
my english teacher said nice means good to eat so never use it for a person so I have disobeyed him. i doubt DK is good to eat but surely you dont make money by being soft in business. I dunno whether loyalty to Booker and White is a good thing. I know White watches a lot of players and recommended fallon of Swindon in December but DK did not want to shell out the 100k asking price for whatever reason - Fallon went for abit more than that later on.

I think not a risk taker describes DK best

Yeah but people on here recommended Fallon, hardly rock science is it.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I expect DK listens more to dean White than an internet message board

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
f***ing hell, the whole point of keeping the same backroom staff is for consistency's sake. Why upset the applecart when the management team and playing squad, by and large, have such a good working relationship?

Bob Booker bridges the gap between the players and the manager in a way which everyone appreciates. Anyone who has seen McGhee and Booker together will know how well they work. They are a great team. I don't know how well McGhee worked with Archie Knox so I can't compare, but the point is moot, McGhee and Booker will superbly well together.

So are we slagging off Bob Booker here? Or the role of the Assistant Manager? Or Dick Knight's sense of sound man management? Better still, why doesn't NSC go the whole hog, and slag off the entire management team, its structure and its working methods?

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
Bozza said:

But one thing has remained consistent throughout our good times and bad. We lose 12 games (or whatever it was) under Hinsh. Hinch is vilified and removed from those particular responsibilities, Booker remains.

Coppell can't keep us up, and gets some grief for this. Bob Booker - blameless.

This season, much criticisim of our inability to defend, create and score. All McGhee's fault it seems. Bob is doing all he should though, right.

but you're mentioning all the negatives there. he's also been at the club for three promotions. It's fine to question his role but remember while he's been here there's been more good than bad!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Re: Re: Bob Booker - a man without responsibility?

LDH said:
but you're mentioning all the negatives there. he's also been at the club for three promotions. It's fine to question his role but remember while he's been here there's been more good than bad!

That's my point - surely if credit is given for the good things then there should be criticism for the bad.

I'm not knocking Bob Booker at all - playing Devil's Advocate if you like - but I am amazed with all the abuse that flies about that Bob Booker seems to have escaped it all...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
brightonfan_86 said:
Bob Booker has to go, we've ran out of ideas on set-pieces. He doesn't look bothered about the job in hand, isn't time to bring someone else in?

Please make your mind up Kev.

Does he have to go or isn't it time to bring someone else in. :dunce:

Whilst I think there's been a bit of a drop off in the set pieces and training routines we see, it's not necessarily BBs fault, nor does it mean they're not working on things that the players are failing to execute in a match situation.

You really should make sure you're in possession of all the facts before you call for a very popular bloke to be slung on the dole.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bob Booker must have done something right in his time here for the success achieved. Whatever it is actually that he does do, I'm not quite sure, but when you're doing well that matters less than when you're not.

I did hear him on Talksport before the Crewe game and, fair play to the presenter, they grilled him over the failure to sign a striker and the departure of Knight, and he sort of glossed over it in a kind of 'That's not really an issue now' sort of way. When clearly it's a burning issue.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The Large One said:
f***ing hell, the whole point of keeping the same backroom staff is for consistency's sake. Why upset the applecart when the management team and playing squad, by and large, have such a good working relationship?

Bob Booker bridges the gap between the players and the manager in a way which everyone appreciates. Anyone who has seen McGhee and Booker together will know how well they work. They are a great team. I don't know how well McGhee worked with Archie Knox so I can't compare, but the point is moot, McGhee and Booker will superbly well together.

So are we slagging off Bob Booker here? Or the role of the Assistant Manager? Or Dick Knight's sense of sound man management? Better still, why doesn't NSC go the whole hog, and slag off the entire management team, its structure and its working methods?

But i'm not talking about his working relationship with MM or even his working relationships with the players.... i'm talking about coaching...we have no idea how to take a set piece, we also don't seem to be able to improve our player fitness or ablity...what do they coach them

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
sully said:
Please make your mind up Kev.

Does he have to go or isn't it time to bring someone else in. :dunce:

Whilst I think there's been a bit of a drop off in the set pieces and training routines we see, it's not necessarily BBs fault, nor does it mean they're not working on things that the players are failing to execute in a match situation.

You really should make sure you're in possession of all the facts before you call for a very popular bloke to be slung on the dole.

He's taken his membership of ARS to literally as he's speaking out of his

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
blockhseagull said:
But i'm not talking about his working relationship with MM or even his working relationships with the players.... i'm talking about coaching...we have no idea how to take a set piece, we also don't seem to be able to improve our player fitness or ablity...what do they coach them
So why are you blaming Booker?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here