Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bnp win Euro seat.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My Grandfather was second-generation Irish. His grandfather came over when they were digging the Mersey Ship Canal. Second-generation but he ran the Irish Club in Warrington, and ran the (illegal) the Irish Sweep to fund Irish hospitals (I was told). They were a strong catholic Irish community in a time when the sign "No Dogs, No Irish were common".

I am sure you could have come up from rural SUssex looked at that as an alien land and thought all they want to do is create a bit of Ireland. But two generations on and we all English citizens with no experience or particular interest in Ireland - the type of people who pay a lot of tax into the economy and make as valid contribution as anyone to our country.

Let's look at the issues - but relax.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
My Grandfather was second-generation Irish. His grandfather came over when they were digging the Mersey Ship Canal. Second-generation but he ran the Irish Club in Warrington, and ran the (illegal) the Irish Sweep to fund Irish hospitals (I was told). They were a strong catholic Irish community in a time when the sign "No Dogs, No Irish were common".

I am sure you could have come up from rural SUssex looked at that as an alien land and thought all they want to do is create a bit of Ireland. But two generations on and we all English citizens with no experience or particular interest in Ireland - the type of people who pay a lot of tax into the economy and make as valid contribution as anyone to our country.

There is a large Irish community in Coventry. 2nd and 3rd generations still see themselves as Irish.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
I was called a post punk neo fascist:) Its strange how these twats can never accept democracy. I wonder how legal it is that these rent a mob nob heads are funded by the Labour party and Unions. Even slimey Dave. Linked up with them

what ever does that mean?

post punk = new wave?

neo fascists are opposed to democracy by their very definition so er you're not really making much sense with that either then.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
what ever does that mean?

post punk = new wave?

neo fascists are opposed to democracy by their very definition so er you're not really making much sense with that either then.

I was jesting mate. That was what a poster called me on here. I found it amusing.

Back to the reds. Why is it that can't accept a vote. Shame their candidates did rather badly

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

the (deliberate?)mistake a lot of people on here make is thinking its all about race, its not for me its about culture and attitude, and a lot of the cultures , especially muslim, being brought into this country wouldnt be assimilated in the next two millennia let alone two generations.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There is a large Irish community in Coventry. 2nd and 3rd generations still see themselves as Irish.

All of them obviously. Including the ones that have moved away, married into other communities, or even stayed in Coventry. I am sure there are people like that - but to try and make out everyone is like that is assinine.

However I appreciate it suits your purpose if everyone fits into neat stereo-typical boxes.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
the (deliberate?)mistake a lot of people on here make is thinking its all about race, its not for me its about culture and attitude, and a lot of the cultures , especially muslim, being brought into this country wouldnt be assimilated in the next two millennia let alone two generations.

but not all asians are muslim. so you're happy with asian christians etc??

what culture is that? the lazy workshy unemployed white british that we see all over the place?? or the hardworking family orientated culture that many many aisans and other ethnic groups have. know which i'd prefer.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Well the BNP think it is about colour of your skin. White and muslim - no problem. Black and christian - on your bike.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
All of them obviously. Including the ones that have moved away, married into other communities, or even stayed in Coventry. I am sure there are people like that - but to try and make out everyone is like that is assinine.

However I appreciate it suits your purpose if everyone fits into neat stereo-typical boxes.

I am not talking about all of them. I am just saying that quite a few still see themselves as Irish. At least when they celebrate St Patricks day it is because they are Irish.

Oh and I am 3 generation Irish on my mothers side:p

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
I was jesting mate. That was what a poster called me on here. I found it amusing.

Back to the reds. Why is it that can't accept a vote. Shame their candidates did rather badly

well its all relative really. personally can't see the BNP ever getting into power, for a start the leader is a deluded convict twat, most of the party are ignorant twerps, and the policies are ridiculous. Also for many people a vote for the BNP was a protest vote agains the main parties.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
well its all relative really. personally can't see the BNP ever getting into power, for a start the leader is a deluded convict twat, most of the party are ignorant twerps, and the policies are ridiculous. Also for many people a vote for the BNP was a protest vote agains the main parties.

Whatever mate:wave:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I found that quite interesting actually! kind of agree with you tho think you're being to black/white (excuse the pun..)

this religion thing is a bit misleading. Firstly a large proportion of asian immigrants are not muslim, there are are large numbers of asian sikhs/christians etc who have come over Most of the european immigrants are 'christian'.
There is a huge media frenzy on anything vaguely muslim going on but i can't see how this country can be split down the lines of christian/muslim.. where would all the agnostics sit for a start??

I'd argue that Britain isn't really a christian country apart from in name anyway. i somehow doubt that many of the people who've been posting on here are religious in the slightest. The church now is far less important to people than it was even 20 years ago.

Thirdly, historically when people from different countries migrate they tend to congregate in specfiic areas. Over time that wil tend to change and people's become more integrated within the country. From personal experience I would say that 2nd or 3rd generation black britains are far more british now than they were previously. Again that may not be the case everywhere but as a general observation i think alot of people would agree.

I do kind of agree with you that as a nation we are not very good at promoting britishness... however, personally I don't know what it means anyway. Used to mean empire, stiff upper lip all that kind of thing but none of that really stands true anymore.

you also talked about the loss of community spirit- well again there's a multitude of reasons why that has happened, and its a bit simplistic to just blame johnny foreigner for everything.

personally I blame chavs, the media, the benefit system, politcal correctness gone mad, and a shit legal system far more for the loss of communitys than an influx of foreigners.

Collapse in community spirit is an excellent description for whats going on and I don't blame foreigners for it I just think that in many cases multiculturalism has chivvied it along.

The point you make about gradual dispersal of immigrants from high density areas to the broader community is also true, historically migrants have settled in large groups and then, as prosperity increased, moved out and integrated into the wider population (The Chinese in Liverpool and the Jews in Brixton are good examples) but the scale of migration over the past 20 years has been on a scale without any precedent so the process will take many years. Another difference is that previous migration tended to occour in waves related to conditions elsewhere, the Irish during the famine, french Catholics and Hugenots during times of upheval at home and West Indians in response to the post war labour shortage. This meant there were pauses which allowed for gradual integration once people had settled. Now we have a constant stream arriving with little opportunity for small groups to be absorbed into their new society.

People just have to realise that citizenship means responsibility and this goes as much for the chavs and other shite we produce domestically as anyone else,probably more so.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
but not all asians are muslim. so you're happy with asian christians etc??

what culture is that? the lazy workshy unemployed white british that we see all over the place?? or the hardworking family orientated culture that many many aisans and other ethnic groups have. know which i'd prefer.
you sound like a tabloid newspaper sub editor mate, you know , the ones that cant say the word asian without also throwing in two of the next 3 ,law abiding/hard working/majority, sure there are plenty of those , but i can tell you have no real experience of it or you'd know the truth is a lot different.By the way, i love the way you stereotype the white british as lazy and workshy without a second thought , imagine the uproar if you substituted white british for jamaican.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Collapse in community spirit is an excellent description for whats going on and I don't blame foreigners for it I just think that in many cases multiculturalism has chivvied it along.

The point you make about gradual dispersal of immigrants from high density areas to the broader community is also true, historically migrants have settled in large groups and then, as prosperity increased, moved out and integrated into the wider population (The Chinese in Liverpool and the Jews in Brixton are good examples) but the scale of migration over the past 20 years has been on a scale without any precedent so the process will take many years. Another difference is that previous migration tended to occour in waves related to conditions elsewhere, the Irish during the famine, french Catholics and Hugenots during times of upheval at home and West Indians in response to the post war labour shortage. This meant there were pauses which allowed for gradual integration once people had settled. Now we have a constant stream arriving with little opportunity for small groups to be absorbed into their new society.

People just have to realise that citizenship means responsibility and this goes as much for the chavs and other shite we produce domestically as anyone else,probably more so.

I don't think we're a million miles apart from agreeing to be honest.

But of the people who are arriving, a large proportion aren't here to stay and become permanent british citizens.

In that respect we don't have a precedent to draw upon.
The world is far more accessible these days and more importantly it isn't one way ticket.
I remember reading in the paper a while ago about how all the poles were leaving britain after being here for a year or two, makes a less impressive headline but is actually true..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here