Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blooms Axe....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Clealry that why Slade and Bloom are there to make the final decision. Doesnt mean there arent a wide variety of options available and the fans and a clubs biggest stakeholder...THEREFORE OUR OPIONS COUNTS FOR SOMETHING DOESNT IT? Im not saying boo every game you dislike something or anything like that just that if there is a big issue like who manages the team the fans opion counts as in the end wasnt that ultimate end of managers in the past? Mcghee and adams lost the crowd, they had achieved great things in the past. Slade hasnt just unluckly hit a early bad patch of form.

But what I'm saying is the fans' opinions are so varied that they contradict each other, and so would be of little to no use. Does he do option a) that will make half the fans happy and half pissed off, or option b) that will make half the fans happy and half the fans pissed off? When he already knew his options, listening to the fans offers little benefit.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It makes very little sense commercially for the club (or an individual) to not listen to the fans.

Bloom had just pumped, or is pumping, £93m into the construction of the stadium, and further amounts to try and take the team and club forward on and off the pitch.

While it may be money he can afford, it doesn't follow it's money he isn't worried about seeing again. Therefore, turning a deaf ear to supporters and 'going his own way' will only alienate them, and drive a wedge between him, the club and the fans. He wants to see a return on his money (or the best return he can possibly get), by making the club as self-sufficient as possible (i.e. him not propping it up to the tune of £2m-£3m every year).

He will achieve the best return by having a dialogue with the fans and taking into account their wishes. I, for one, and quite resentful of anything major imposed on me without feeling I - or we - have been consulted first.

Of course the final decisions are down to him - that's understood, but to do so in a manner which will only distance fans from him will be counter-productive for everyone.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The club'listened to the fans' when MM was sacked and we've had zero success since then.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My point is that the club is run on a commercial basis. So why should they act on the whim of fans who change their minds on a month to month basis ?

They shouldn't - and when it comes to the manager, they don't. Or rather, they haven't yet.

The closest they have come to that is the sacking of Mark McGhee, which is something I still feel the club could have held out a little longer for, as I feel we still didn't get the best out of him.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
we are listened to. once the fans turn on a manager there is no way back, and the baord have to act. happened with mcghee and adams in recent years (although some fools continued to support him). in a way it also happened with wilkins, we were really struggling with our gates throughout the first half of his second season, which is when knight decided he wanted something different.

we ARE the club. so we set the tone. or at least we make it crystal clear when we're unhappy with how our club is being run or managed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Were the fans consulted when it was decided wilkins would take over from mcghee permanently? Were the fans consulted when it was decided Adams would take over? Were we consulted when Slade was picked?

How many people have stopped supporting the club, or feel because these decisions were taken without their consultation, that they are growing apart from the club?

We love the club. We may disagree with an appointment, but on the whole support them because they are part of the club. If things go wrong, we let the club know we're not happy, then the club acts (and again decides for itself).

That's the extent of our influence, it's how it has always been (with regard to the regular day to day running of the club - not counting extreme situations such as the Archer/Bellotti years) with football clubs. It's how it should be.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
It makes very little sense commercially for the club (or an individual) to not listen to the fans.

Bloom had just pumped, or is pumping, £93m into the construction of the stadium, and further amounts to try and take the team and club forward on and off the pitch.

While it may be money he can afford, it doesn't follow it's money he isn't worried about seeing again. Therefore, turning a deaf ear to supporters and 'going his own way' will only alienate them, and drive a wedge between him, the club and the fans. He wants to see a return on his money (or the best return he can possibly get), by making the club as self-sufficient as possible (i.e. him not propping it up to the tune of £2m-£3m every year).

He will achieve the best return by having a dialogue with the fans and taking into account their wishes. I, for one, and quite resentful of anything major imposed on me without feeling I - or we - have been consulted first.

Of course the final decisions are down to him - that's understood, but to do so in a manner which will only distance fans from him will be counter-productive for everyone.

if i'd just invested £93m into a business i certainly wouldn't be asking for your blessing on how i act, why should he?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it rather depends on the subject.

The club needs to serve the supporters as best possible. That will mean listening to fans on issues such as ticketing arrangements, catering, pricing and stuff like that. However, there are people better qualified than supporters on who is best positioned to run the club. And at the end of the day, if Bloom wants Dennis Wise because he thinks he'll do a better job than Russell Slade, then his £93m says he can do what he likes on that front. If a new man in charge starts getting results, you'll find that it won't really matter that a handful of supporters found Slade's sacking distasteful.

Fulham are playing to average gates of 25,000 in the Premiership these days. How many Fulham fans are grizzling over how they won't ever go down to Craven Cottage because Micky Adams was sacked? Maybe Al Fayed took the view that he could do without the two dozen "principled" handwringers in exchange for the millions that 19,000 glory hunters bring in every season.

That'll do for me.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
"What the chairman says goes" is the impression I am getting here. Shame we didn't share that view with Dick knight.

The club was going no where under DK though. People who think it was are the same people who are over suspicious of Bloom currently (and those who were in the "inner" circle who are upset their bum licking of the top brass no longer exists). They have their nose out of joint because the club is going to start being run as a business.

So far Bloom has:

Bankrolled the club for the last couple of years
Lent the club £90M+ to build a ground
Shelled out getting on for £1M on transfers

What Bloom hasn't done is sacked Slade which at the moment kinda makes this thread a load of old cock!

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Anyone else worried about all these rumors about him wanting to get rid of Slade?

I dont want to carry on supporting a club with a mad owner like that. Slade already has cult status at the club or has everyone forgotton because of a few defeats? If Slade does go let me be the first to say that Bloom need to relinquish some power. Clearly the club need him but I dont want someone in charge with that sort of power.

thoughts?

f*** off and support someone else then. I will support this club with whoever is in charge, if we get rid of Slade then so be it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone else worried about all these rumors about him wanting to get rid of Slade?

I dont want to carry on supporting a club with a mad owner like that. Slade already has cult status at the club or has everyone forgotton because of a few defeats? If Slade does go let me be the first to say that Bloom need to relinquish some power. Clearly the club need him but I dont want someone in charge with that sort of power.

thoughts?

I think you should wait for him to carry out the dirty deed before you accuse Bloom of being a mad owner.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I must admit I agree with Acker79; how can any club possibly listen to 'the fans' when 'the fans' are not some distinct homogenous entity but a mass of individuals holding, at times, wildly different opinions? I bet there aren't even two individuals who hold identical opinions about the Albion, let alone 20,000. Consequently the expression 'the club must listen to the fans' is almost totally meaningless.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Yes, I am worried, because it would seem like a very knee-jerk reaction, and if it's also followed by the appointment of Dennis Wise, then I will be REALLY worried.

Yes, Bloom has stuck an enormous amount of cash in, and I will love him forever for that alone.

Yes, he's Brighton through and through, which is beyond my dreams when it came to potential investors.

But, that doesn't mean he is automatically good at running a football club, and doesn't mean I'll be singing a happy tune regardless of his decisions. Slade out and Wise in will have me very worried about his ability to run a football indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here