Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody bastards

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Last night, while out at Uncle Buck’s 30th Birthday beano, our house was burgled. Basically, the little bastard, whoever he is, got away with one of Mrs TLO's computer monitors, her laptop, some jewellery, a couple of items of sentimental stuff - and my computer. Funnily enough, he left behind the usual suspects like DVD player, TV, stereo etc.

The little piece of shit smashed a window in the basement at the back, climbed in through it, and went through the house to the second and third floors where we live. Thankfully, he never touched any of the school stuff - now that would have been heartbreaking.

Anyhoo, what it does mean is that my entire history of design; all the things I have done away from the office for the past eight years has now gone – which leaves me a tad on the cross side. One of the things I have to do is ascertain how I can go about plastering over the issues that this burglary has caused. I could have backed up the work to an external hard-drive, but one never quite thinks that your own inner sanctum - your bedroom - is ever going to be invaded.

It's quite wierd feeling how I do today. I've never had a house I live in burgled, and it is a f***ing, horrible, nasty feeling. Meanwhile, me and Mrs TLO are going to try and make the best of a highly unpleasant situation, and soldier on through. Her losses are not as bad as they could have been – the laptop, thankfully, had not a great deal of any real importance on it, the office damage was superficial, and the sentimental items we will deal with in our own way. I am writing this from my work laptop, which was thankfully not in the house last night - I am sure the little scrote would have had that as well.

Sorry for the offload, but I feel marginally better for writing this down now. Love and peace.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Catch them.Put them in a deep dark place.Put the key in that safe place that you can never quite remember.

Or cut their goolies off.

Or both.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So sorry to hear that, TLO. It is never easy accepting that someone has been in your house uninvited and invaded your privacy. Lets hope they can track your stuff down and catch the little bastard. You could give NSC a description of anything that stands out and we can keep our eyes peeled. You never know where these goods will turn up...

Very sad about your design work. :(

The Burglar may well have been watching you leave. Did you notice anyone hanging around?

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Really sorry to hear that. Sentimental items are by far the worst to lose as they are irreplacable.

Hope the little tosser(s) will get their comupance sometime in the future.

skr80

Oct 9, 2003
we got burgled - I ended up moving house as did get over the 'feeling' that I too was left with.

Even ten years on, if I ever found the bastard that did it I would do them some serious damage in terms of removing the hands / fingers fundamentalist style :mad:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Barrel of Fun said:
So sorry to hear that, TLO. It is never easy accepting that someone has been in your house uninvited and invaded your privacy. Lets hope they can track your stuff down and catch the little bastard. You could give NSC a description of anything that stands out and we can keep our eyes peeled. You never know where these goods will turn up...

Very sad about your design work. :(

The Burglar may well have been watching you leave. Did you notice anyone hanging around?
I suspect the house was being watched - he seemed to pick his moment (SOCO said it was one male). Yesterday I went straight from the game to the shop to the Basketmakers to the Park View - so I was out from about 10am onwards. My partner left the house at 7.15 to join me in the Park View, only 250 yards from my house, and we go back at 11.45, although our next door neighbour came home at 10.20 and noticed the front door open, but assumed we were having a party...

My computer is a 20" widescreen iMac, the laptop is a blue/grey PC effort, the sentimental stuff is jewellery I haven't really seen, sadly.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Sorry to hear about your burglary TLO, It must be horrible knowing that your own privacy has been invaded like that. I had a neighbour once that was burgled and it took her ages to get over it. It was'nt the stuff that was taken so much as the burglar had been through her knicker draw and left a very unpleasent substance splattered all over her smalls. I hope the police catch the little shit(s) that burgled you and give the justice that is deserved.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
worth keeping an eye on local jewellers types in Brighton to see if anyone tries to 'pawn' it off? atleast then you can get back the sentimental stuff!

Really sorry to hear that, couldn't imagine what i would do if i was burgled :(

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Sorry to hear that TLO. :-(

Unfortunate reminder that we should all back up important data, especially personal work and photos (I burn data on DVDs and leave them at my parents' house).

My computer, monitor and external hard disks are all 'chained' to my desk with security cables.

Not trying to sound smug - just suggesting others do the same.

Sorry again TLO.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
Anyhoo, what it does mean is that my entire history of design; all the things I have done away from the office for the past eight years has now gone – which leaves me a tad on the cross side. One of the things I have to do is ascertain how I can go about plastering over the issues that this burglary has caused. I could have backed up the work to an external hard-drive, but one never quite thinks that your own inner sanctum - your bedroom - is ever going to be invaded.

Sorry to hear about your loss TLO. At least nobody was in the house, and so far as can see from your description, the guy was a pro, not a kid interesting in trashing the place. Scant consolation tho. Chin up mate.

And, tho it's hardly impotant now, did it really never cross your mind to back up your work in eight years? Computer disks have an annoying habit of crashing when you least expect. Utter madness not to have some form of back-up system in place for all that time. Anyways, you don't want to hear that now I expect. Sorry again to hear about your loss.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
Last night, while out at Uncle Buck’s 30th Birthday beano, our house was burgled. Basically, the little bastard, whoever he is, got away with one of Mrs TLO's computer monitors, her laptop, some jewellery, a couple of items of sentimental stuff - and my computer. Funnily enough, he left behind the usual suspects like DVD player, TV, stereo etc.

The little piece of shit smashed a window in the basement at the back, climbed in through it, and went through the house to the second and third floors where we live. Thankfully, he never touched any of the school stuff - now that would have been heartbreaking.

It's quite wierd feeling how I do today. I've never had a house I live in burgled, and it is a f***ing, horrible, nasty feeling. Meanwhile, me and Mrs TLO are going to try and make the best of a highly unpleasant situation, and soldier on through. Her losses are not as bad as they could have been – the laptop, thankfully, had not a great deal of any real importance on it, the office damage was superficial, and the sentimental items we will deal with in our own way. I am writing this from my work laptop, which was thankfully not in the house last night - I am sure the little scrote would have had that as well.

Sorry for the offload, but I feel marginally better for writing this down now. Love and peace.

Very sorry to hear this TLO!
The little scum should be locked-up when caught. Chances are that the old bill know all about him, but cannot be bothered to put lots of effort into getting him to court, only to get his wrists slapped! :nono:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I know how it feels. Some little shit robbed my entire flat some years ago and even nicked the double bed - none of the neighbours "saw" anything (so they said :censored: :censored: :censored: ) God knows how they got it out....
I now regard it as useful decluttering since they also nicked some appalling records & tapes which I never want to see/hear again - not that it helped at the time.
Only thing to do is make large claim against insurance and ensure PC backed up onto floppies or CDs next time. Then :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Bloody bastards

Tom Hark said:
Sorry to hear about your loss TLO. At least nobody was in the house, and so far as can see from your description, the guy was a pro, not a kid interesting in trashing the place. Scant consolation tho. Chin up mate.

And, tho it's hardly impotant now, did it really never cross your mind to back up your work in eight years? Computer disks have an annoying habit of crashing when you least expect. Utter madness not to have some form of back-up system in place for all that time. Anyways, you don't want to hear that now I expect. Sorry again to hear about your loss.
I did copy it to an external drive a while back, but not lately. Stupidly the external drive (we are talking about 35-odd GB of artwork here) was next to the computer and got stolen as well.

It would be comedy if it wasn't so f***ing annoying.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Just a word of warning when you get the insurance to replace the stolen stuff. Make sure you get all the security advice on how to make your home as secure as possible and take it.
Burglars very often come back within weeks to do it again because they know you have replaced the stolen things.
I was burgled twice in three weeks in Yorkshire. The windows all had locks installed etc but they used a crowbar to stove my back door in.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Yorkie said:
Just a word of warning when you get the insurance to replace the stolen stuff. Make sure you get all the security advice on how to make your home as secure as possible and take it.
Burglars very often come back within weeks to do it again because they know you have replaced the stolen things.
I was burgled twice in three weeks in Yorkshire. The windows all had locks installed etc but they used a crowbar to stove my back door in.

That's the worrying thing knowing they may come back.

Last year caught someone snooping round the back of mine and my neighbours house in the middle of the night - chased the bastard up the road with a snooker cue - unfortunatley or fortunately for me he was to quick. It wasn't until i'd got to the end of the road when i realised iwas running up the road in just my boxers!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Goring Gull said:
That's the worrying thing knowing they may come back.

Last year caught someone snooping round the back of mine and my neighbours house in the middle of the night - chased the bastard up the road with a snooker cue - unfortunatley or fortunately for me he was to quick. It wasn't until i'd got to the end of the road when i realised iwas running up the road in just my boxers!

Ask the Crime Prevention Officer to visit you. Put bars across the basement window if necessary. (that's for TLO)

Last edited:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Most annoying thing about it all is that all the sentimental stuff was probably just pawned off to pay for his fix for the day and given a tiny value to what you or your mrs would give it. Must feel horrible luckily we've never had it happen to us :(

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Yorkie said:
Ask the Crime Prevention Officer to visit you. Put bars across the basement window if necessary. (that's for TLO)

I actually blame next door a bit as they have no net curtains - no side gate at the side of their house - you'd think they would do something about it as they were robbed twice about 6 years ago.

Where as we have a lockable gate down the side of the house, net curtain all round, security lights, gravel around the path by the house - which is what i heard when i woke up. He must have got over the small fence between the two house which i have since replaced with a higher one. Burgular alarm.

When i told them what had happened they seemed worried but needless to say a year on have done nothing.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yorkie said:
He is coming anyway. Sadly, that the one thing we DON'T want to do, because it's the window nearest the school entrance. What we don't want to do is frighten the children into thinking there is a problem - nor do we want to frighten the parent either.

It is a painful lesson to us that, although we shouldn't have to expect it, we do now have to be a LOT more security conscious of the flat as well as the school. However, it's still not that easy to legislate for a broken window as a means of entry when you're balancing making the school welcoming with the responsibilities of providing a safe and secure environment.

But yes, the Crime Prevention Officer is coming.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here