Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blokes doing the cooking

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Regardless of all the banter/nonsense about women should be in the kitchen, who is it that does the cooking in your house?

I was discussing this with a female NSCer on the train yesterday evening, and with my better half afterwards, and it occurred to me that I wouldn't mind betting that not only do most (i.e. more than 50%) of the blokes do the cooking, a sizeable amount actually enjoy doing it. I know I'm one of them.

So, is that the case? If so, what's your 'signature' dish? What's the meal you cook that puts the biggest smile on your better half's face?

Just curious, like.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I don't really know what I'm doing but usually when I do cook I do a pretty good job.

My girlfriend cooks most nights though

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I do all of the cooking (and housework 😱) in our house, signature dish would be chicken breast with Philadelphia inside and wrapped in bacon with roast potatoes etc. Mrs and our son say they love my cooking.

I cook every night at home as the wife always finishes later than me and I do admit I enjoy it.

Signature dish:
Paella.

Wife's favourite:
Stir fried fresh crab with ginger and spring onions served on a bed of noodles tossed in light soy sauce and sesame oil.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do 95%+ of the cooking chez moi.

We're a veggie household and probably stuck in a bit of a rut with a number of dishes we eat often. I reckon my lasagne is probably her favourite.

I do about 95% of the cooking, washing, ironing and cleaning etc.

Some signature dishes are:
Turkey escalopes in marsala with sliced button mushrooms and grated parmesan
Chicken pie containing sliced mushrooms and spring onions (puff pastry)
Chilli con Carne containing sun roasted tomatoes and cinnamon (sticks) - tbh this is really one of Jamie Oliver's efforts but v good. From memory, I posted the recipe on here a few years back and @DigweedsTrousers successfully tried it out.
Roast Lamb with sliced garlic cloves, fresh rosemary with a marsala sauce.

Pretty good at choux pastry but useless at cakes, particularly sponges (grrrrr......).

scooter1

How soon is now?
I do the bulk of the cooking at home and I love it. Even if the missus starts cooking I usually take over, thats the kind of kitchen busy body that I am.
We eat loads of seafood, so signature dishes are Lobster Thermidor(once in a while when Tesco have lobsters at a fiver each), Fish pie, or Gambas al pil pil(something I picked up living in Spain)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep, I do half the cooking in our house at weekends, maybe more.

I do a MEAN roast, cooked breakfasts along with lasagne or moussaka.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I bloody LOVE doing the cooking.

New signature is 6 hour lamb shoulder with potatoes boulangere and minted pea puree.

The missus' favourite is a good old fashioned gammon, egg and chips (homemade of course).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Twenty years ago (1992/93) I had a longish period of unemployment. With a (hard)working wife and two primary school age children, I thought I ought to pull my finger out and start to do something in the kitchen. One afternoon I produced very laboriously a Spaghetti Bolognese, which went down very well.

Children grown up and flown the nest and my work is more flexible than my wife's so I still do most of the "routine" cooking in the house. She is very good for more special occasions.

Don't have a "signature dish" but most things usually come out OK - particularly at the moment pan-fried salmon fillet with stir-fried vegetable and Noodles.

Jan 30, 2008

New signature is 6 hour lamb shoulder with potatoes boulangere and minted pea puree.

The missus' favourite is a good old fashioned gammon, egg and chips (homemade of course).
what's wrong with one from a greasy spoons cafe, MAC'S in BRIGHTON anyone ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I live in a shared flat so do most of my own cooking, my flatmate is an excellent cook though, so he's usually in the kitched for any group meals and I'm on the washing up.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
do 100% of the cooking in my house, Jamie Oliver books are always open and love learing new dishes, got some good old fresh sea bass to cook tonight, usually do them with chopped dill and red chillies stuffed inside, put in foil and then roasted for about 20 mins, served on a bed of rice cooked in cumin and ginger. Fancy something different tonight, any suggestions.

Signature dish....Curry, Roast and Rice pudding........

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

Explain? You rear and kill your own pigs!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here