Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn Rovers FC v Brighton and Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread***

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Well done tonight , how you didn't win I'll never know :thumbsup:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To expect to achieve what should be par for a club with 30,000 gates is not a moan. It is setting standards. Tonight was not good enough, so say it was not good enough or accept failure. Your choice mate.

I'll leave you to your rantings, I don't think I'm dealing with the full ticket here, sorry just an observation. Laters dude.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I will get attacked for this, but its still 2 points dropped and a dreadful performance. I will support Poyet, he plays the right football but some of our players are accident prone and chuck away points game after game. 12 draws this season. It needs sorting out.

Well - ok, crap away performance, maybe. Too many draws, yes.

But - firstly, we are 7th. There are only three clubs going to get promoted and they have strong teams too. Its not like we are giants in a small pond - weve only been at this level, with this stadium and backing I mean, for 1 and a half years. Cardiff City and co have been banging on the promotion door for a lot longer, slowly and surely, bit by bit... and guess what, teams lose and draw games throughout even the most successful seasons.

We are only 7th in a pretty tight group of about 10 clubs who are candidates for promotion - and thats a fairly conservative estimate - its probably about 15. All roughly equal, .... I dont expect us to go up this season - I hope we do, but I dont EXPECT it. But being in or around the promotion places for a few years will get us there sooner or later.

We are doing fine! Relax man!

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
If you look at football, a club with 60,000 to 80,000 at home like Arsenal, Man U are top of the tree, and demand such standards. Clubs with between 45,000 to 35000 like Spurs are the step below and have step below standards. Clubs with 30,000 to 22000 gates like Brighton are the next step down. Clubs with between 20,000 to 15,000 the next step down until you get to 3000 crowd clubs like Rochdale. Brighton have under achieved for too long, this has allowed an under achieving acceptable culture in fans, and club. This culture has to go.

So you've got 20,000 plus gates for two seasons, and you're under achieving?
What about the sub 7,000 crowds for the previous twenty seasons , we're you over or under achieving ?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Well - ok, crap away performance, maybe. Too many draws, yes.

But - firstly, we are 7th. There are only three clubs going to get promoted and they have strong teams too. Its not like we are giants in a small pond - weve only been at this level, with this stadium and backing I mean, for 1 and a half years. Cardiff City and co have been banging on the promotion door for a lot longer, slowly and surely, bit by bit... and guess what, teams lose and draw games throughout even the most successful seasons.

We are only 7th in a pretty tight group of about 10 clubs who are candidates for promotion - and thats a fairly conservative estimate - its probably about 15. All roughly equal, .... I dont expect us to go up this season - I hope we do, but I dont EXPECT it. But being in or around the promotion places for a few years will get us there sooner or later.

We are doing fine! Relax man!

Have you hacked my account cos word for word i agree with you...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What about the sub 7,000 crowds for the previous twenty seasons , we're you over or under achieving ?

Given the capacity we had at the Withdean I would say that the promotions we achieved there suggests we were over-achieving. We're not under-achieving now (in my opinion) and we are doing about right.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
It's getting a bit odd that we keep putting Vicente centre forward. i know it's about the false 9 spot but it only works if you can hit his feet.
It didn't work against Reading or Swindon.
On a night like this, that was barely going to be an option.
We'd have been better off putting him safe out wide with time to work his magic.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Given the capacity we had at the Withdean I would say that the promotions we achieved there suggests we were over-achieving. We're not under-achieving now (in my opinion) and we are doing about right.

I agree, I was asking WCP

Feb 14, 2010

I'm talking about Brighton as a club that have (almost) always (except when it lost the Goldstone) got high gates for the division it has been in (even Withdean was sold out for 3/4 seasons). Crowds like 34000 against Rochdale when lower league football was on offer is taken for granted, but why has Brighton's support been taken for granted? Now Brighton have recovered from the loss of the Goldstone, they will be on 30,000 at home next year and with that we should demand standards to go along with the level of support.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I just couldn't bring myself to take this any further! I was trying to work out the logic and why he quoted attendances to me when I didn't even mention them. Was best to back away slowly... good luck!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If you look at football, a club with 60,000 to 80,000 at home like Arsenal, Man U are top of the tree, and demand such standards. Clubs with between 45,000 to 35000 like Spurs are the step below and have step below standards. Clubs with 30,000 to 22000 gates like Brighton are the next step down. Clubs with between 20,000 to 15,000 the next step down until you get to 3000 crowd clubs like Rochdale. Brighton have under achieved for too long, this has allowed an under achieving acceptable culture in fans, and club. This culture has to go.

Are you drunk? Have you just parachuted into Sussex? This is the most crooked argument ever.

Ps, bit of history - we only moved into the Amex last season. We've been running on empty for the past two decades with no investment.

I think you'll find Man U, Arsenal and Spurs weren't playing at a disused athletics track 2 years ago. I can't be certain, so you might want to write to the clubs to check.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'm talking about Brighton as a club that have (almost) always (except when it lost the Goldstone) got high gates for the division it has been in (even Withdean was sold out for 3/4 seasons). Crowds like 34000 against Rochdale when lower league football was on offer is taken for granted, but why has Brighton's support been taken for granted? Now Brighton have recovered from the loss of the Goldstone, they will be on 30,000 at home next year and with that we should demand standards to go along with the level of support.

I know what you're trying to say, but I think it could be construed as arrogant of us to think that just because we've got big crowds we have a divine right to expect the best. Newcastle had (at the time) the second biggest gates in the country - they were relegated. Whilst it's partially true that we have more fans to satisfy and, yes, we do need to get out of the 'small club' mindset we've had for years, your argument is over-simplistic. There are fifteen others clubs who think they have a chance of getting out of this league the right way, and all of them will have something to say about it, were we to go about thinking we're too good for the league. I see us right now as a medium-sized club - a small club in transition to a (potentially) big club - but the progress has to be gradual and expectations have to be managed, especially with FFP coming in. We can't play brilliantly and win 5-0 every week. Sometimes we'll have to put up with mouldy 1-1 draws robbed at the death in grim Northern towns. Eez foooball.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

We survived by the skin of our teeth without cheating the rest of the teams in the league , not by wiping out millions of pounds worth of debt and starting again as if nothing had happened.

Feb 14, 2010
Are you drunk? Have you just parachuted into Sussex? This is the most crooked argument ever.

Ps, bit of history - we only moved into the Amex last season. We've been running on empty for the past two decades with no investment.

I think you'll find Man U, Arsenal and Spurs weren't playing at a disused athletics track 2 years ago. I can't be certain, so you might want to write to the clubs to check.

I know mate. If you have followed Brighton before the loss of the Goldsone then you will see the level of support Brighton were getting for decades was bigger than the division they were playing in. Crowds like 34000 against Rochdale illustrate this, or higher gates than Saints when in a division below. Bottom line is still the bottom line, a club with 30,000 at home should, and I expect bloom will, set high standards. The cosey under achieving with big crowds of the 1950's and 1960's is no longer an option if this club is to move onwards

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here