Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackberry picking

Blackberries picked, jam made, and the rest (of the 30lb we picked!) frozen for future use.

Sloes already infusing in the gin

Rosehip and Crabapple jelly made over the weekend:thumbsup: (Like a jam, but clear with no bits)

Not much left in the way of elderberries (we have a lot of parrots over the back and they seem to have had them all.), but we did make Elderflower "champagne" earlier in the year.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Some rude couple wandered through my gate into my path to pick my blackberries the other day. I told them to sod off

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's that time of year again, so we went out looking for more fruit. We got 5lb of blackberries, some of which ended up in a blackberry and apple crumble tonight, the rest will be for making more jam.

Here's hotchilidog reaching the biggest and best...

P1030719.jpg

...at a beautiful scenic location upon the South Downs which, if you turn around 180º to look behind you, you go to see this...

P1030721.jpg

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
This takes me back, as a kid always used to pick blackberries and give them to my mum, she would then do the cooking bit, never even thought about doing it nowadays.........but I will do now!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Made a crumble the other day with some. Only got couple of handfuls though as think someone beat us too our usual spot round here this year :blush:
So did I. I was at my dads in the New Forest, and the kids were arguing with each other in the play area we were in, so I marched them out and into the nearby woods.

We stumbled across some blackberry bushes on the walk, so I told them to get picking and we'd cook a crumble when we got back to the house. They absolutely loved it, filled the container, then helped me make the crumble at home. We added some puree'd apple and had it for pudding. Top stuff.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
There's a grape vine near me and i,ve managed to pick enough to make 2 jars of chutney,
which tastes delicious in home made currys.

I once had a ferret I trained to pick those hard to reach grapes for precisely that purpose, he was a lovely little fella and everyone loved to stroke my chutney ferret.

Shall i get my coat?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There is a lovely big blackberry bush next to the ticket collection point outside the South Stand at Withdean!. Although l've been aware of this bush for many years, it was only a few weeks ago that l was in the right place at the right time, and was able to pick some ripe fruit.

So, while waiting for the gates to open for the Rochdale game l started picking away. Having picked quite a few l became aware that l didnt have a recepticle to put them in. Never mind l thought, l'll slip them into my jacket pocket.

Yes, the inevitable happened. When l got home l put my hand into the said pocket to retrieve the fruit, only to encounter a sort of thick sticky blackberry 'jam' lol. Even worse was to follow, upon closer investigation l realised that the fruit had soaked through the bottom of my jacket pocket, and left a large purple stain on the front of my new cream trousers.

it's funny, l thought l was getting quite a few strange looks on the bus going home ...

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
A couple lads out Blackberry picking in my road last year. They got six months suspened and a £500 fine. The victim got his phone back though!
:laugh:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Have a big area of brambles in the field immediately behind our house, with no footpath access. This allows some discretion in picking only the ripest fruit and letting the smaller berries ripen safe in the knowledge they won't be picked by others.

I recommend early morning picking with the dew still around. Yesterday I had 2 bags washed and in the freezer before 930am.

My 10YO is a whizz at crumbles so when the apples are ready in the garden he will be making the classic.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here