Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackberry picking

It can, but it is fun. I too hadn't done blackberry picking since I was a kid, and I HATED it, now I love it.

We went to the foot of Ditchling Beacon last week, and to the hedgerows at the entrance to Firle Place this week, not necessarily to go blackberry picking - but, seeing as they just so happened to be there, we thought we'd help ourselves.
There are now NO blackberries at all out our way.

I pick mine at a secret location in Brighton.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Have had a huge crop this year in the back garden.
Sad to say I have picked 1 blackberry, can't be bothered.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A useful tip if you are eating the blackberries as well as putting them in the bucket is to pick above DOG height.

Its been a great year for plums as well...................... I`ve made some wine this year from my golden variety.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I feel compelled to tell you all that if you lay your blackberries out and cover them in sugar before cooking/freezing you will draw out all the maggots which you can then attack with hammers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A useful tip if you are eating the blackberries as well as putting them in the bucket is to pick above DOG height.

Its been a great year for plums as well...................... I`ve made some wine this year from my golden variety.

Sad to see the master of acerbic wit and sardonic humour descend to the level of plums...... :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I feel compelled to tell you all that if you lay your blackberries out and cover them in sugar before cooking/freezing you will draw out all the maggots which you can then attack with hammers.

I think that the maggots you refer to could be the larvae of Raspberry Beetle.. Nonetheless, protein and fructose covers two of the major food groups for those in a hurry

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sad to see the master of acerbic wit and sardonic humour descend to the level of plums...... :shrug:

It comes to us all eventually.....................You above all should know that what with your allotment ramblings. I noticed you had a nibble on my plums last week anyway.......... I would severely admonish you for your insulting post were it not for the present you bought round.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It comes to us all eventually..................... I noticed you had a nibble on my plums last week. I would severely admonish you for that insult were it not for the present you bought round.

I made sure the plums were above waist height as a precaution

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I used to go blackberry picking, we'd make our way through the woods behind I think eggert or eggington road, that then head behind falmer school, then along what is now some building site for something or other, then along to falmer village.

Fun times.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Being pedantic that is not technically true as all land is owned by somebody and I think that you will find anything grown on their land is theirs. On our allotments some of the plots have blackberries some dont but I cant pick the ones that are growing although they have never been planted by the allotment holders and have just grown natuarally.

However, if they overhang a public right of way then you are not trespassing picking them. Saw a number of people out picking them this afternoon when walking around Streat.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
quality, takes me back to my childhood on the southdowns with my parents

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What on earth is gay about blackberry picking? If anything, it sounds a bit hippy.

I've been blackberrying since I was a child and even when I lived in London I used to go out with my pots.

I've already made some crumble, some pie and used some on Eton Mess this year. I'll probably be out this weekend for another batch. My kids really love it too - they love the idea of food you can eat for free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here