Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackberry picking

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A highly under-rated pastime, I fancy.

Been blackberry picking a couple of times in the past week, and it's all free of charge of course, and so far have made a couple of big pots of blackberry and brandy jam, and a couple of blackberry and apple crumbles.

Marvellous.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some blackberries in reflective mood earlier today...

blackberry.jpg

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
I went blackberry picking earlier today. Sainsbury's in Stanmore. They weren't free of charge.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I went blackberry picking earlier today. Sainsbury's in Stanmore. They weren't free of charge.

Is that Stanmore in Middlesex? If so, I used to live there when my Dad was stationed there with the RAF. What's it like these days?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Been blackberry picking a couple of times in the past week, and it's all free of charge of course, and so far have made a couple of big pots of blackberry and brandy jam, and a couple of blackberry and apple crumbles.

Marvellous.

Good on ya.Sounds like you enjoy cooking fresh, what with making your own mince pies etc.Haven't done blackberry picking since i was a kid.Can get messy.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I'm lucky enough to have miles and miles of lanes with old hedging around us with blackberries, sloes, elderberrys and crab apples that the locals never seem to touch. Most of the blackberries are still red or green but it won't belong before jam and wine making commences.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Was blackberry picking with a couple of my g/kids yesturday.

Lovely way to spend a couple of hours.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's been a great year for sloes. They make a lovely rich wine.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Used to do it all the time up Hollingbury golf course when we were kids, Used to have fresh Blackberries in bread in the breville sandwich toaster.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Is that Stanmore in Middlesex? If so, I used to live there when my Dad was stationed there with the RAF. What's it like these days?

Yeah, that's the one. It's much the same as it was I'd reckon - a little bit nicer than other parts of Harrow, gets a bit lively now when there's something on at Wembley but it'll do for now.

Where did you live?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Used to do it all the time up Hollingbury golf course when we were kids, Used to have fresh Blackberries in bread in the breville sandwich toaster.

Picked a Kilo in no time last week, just between the golfcourse and the Allotments. My wife has already made apple and blackberry crumble and fine blackberry muffins with some of my mums apples from her garden to boot. My neighbour has also transformed said items into some rather delicious jam.

Hmm just may go and have a slice of bread and jam right now.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It was nearly 20 years ago (bloody hell, until typing it there I hadn't clicked that it had been so long), but I THINK the road we lived in was called Embry Drive or something like that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good on ya.Sounds like you enjoy cooking fresh, what with making your own mince pies etc.Haven't done blackberry picking since i was a kid.Can get messy.

It can, but it is fun. I too hadn't done blackberry picking since I was a kid, and I HATED it, now I love it.

We went to the foot of Ditchling Beacon last week, and to the hedgerows at the entrance to Firle Place this week, not necessarily to go blackberry picking - but, seeing as they just so happened to be there, we thought we'd help ourselves.

Making jam is a PIECE OF PISS.

For whatever weight of fruit you have, you need the same amount in sugar. Pectin isn't absolutely necessary, but doesn't hurt either.

Slowly boil the fruit (blackberries in this instance) in a biggish pan and for every kg of fruit, add 1/4 pint water. I used a cheap and nasty brandy from Asda instead. After 10 minutes, add the sugar bit by bit and stir, crank the heat up for a minute, then turn it down again and leave to slowly simmer for another hour. Be careful not to let the liquid overboil or you will get a sticky gunk on your cooker which is a pig to shift.

Allow to cool, and place in a sterilised or thoroughly cleaned jar and place (it will stil be a bit runny) in the fridge overnight. Next morning your jam will have set. Marvellous.

D

Deleted User X18H

We used to go Blackberrying at Toads Hole in the late 70's and 80's

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Like Horton's Iceberg we picked bagfulls (sp?) up there a few days back and are having blackberry and apple crumble tonite. Quite a prophetic thread by TLO as the missus and I were only debating the 'apparent' decline in the people you see out blackberry picking recently. It's free, it's untainted by chemicals (bar the odd bit of dog's piss) it's a superfood and it takes me back to my childhood. Highly recommended.

steve-c

might just go tomorrow, tlo has put me in the mood for blackberry and brandy jam, would i pass a breath test if i had it on my toast in the morning though lol .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Marvellous.

Being pedantic that is not technically true as all land is owned by somebody and I think that you will find anything grown on their land is theirs. On our allotments some of the plots have blackberries some dont but I cant pick the ones that are growing although they have never been planted by the allotment holders and have just grown natuarally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here