Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit late now but question about the disabled section at Withdean.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sitting in my usual spot high up in the family stand yesterday, I was glancing at the disabled section and it must be the very worst place to spectate at the stadium. A thought occurred to me - why does the club not just erect a temporary little ramp section in front of the disused stand to the right of them?

I've seen it done at music festivals, it was done at Woking where the commentators had a raised section - all you need is a raised bit like a carnival float, a ramp and some protective barriers at the front. You could even have a roof on it like they do on carnival floats. Surely even having a raised bit just a few feet high would have made the world of difference to the long-suffering fans over there. As I say, bit late now though.

Just out of curiosity, where's the disabled section at Falmer?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is pretty shameful, isn't it?

Henman Hill/Murray Mound is just a grass bank, but they have managed to cordon of a section half way up to put the disabled spectators. There must be some sort of structure that could have been erected instead of the old 'internet stand' (V block) to house our disabled supporters and carers.

Tiger Barb

Jan 31, 2009
Finland (where else?)
There are various options for the disabled section at Falmer.

Raised views are available in the corners or you can have pitch level in front of the east and west.

You can also join the 1901 where there are disabled spaces in both the East and West stands.

The disappointing thing is that there are no ordinary 'raised views' running down the east and west stands.

So if you are wheelchair bound you either pay 1901, get tucked in a corner or you are pitch level.

Now there are obviously no bad views at Falmer, but it would have been nice if the there could have been some 'ordinary' raised views in the East and West.

Did that make sense?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
My son is disabled with Muscular Dystrophy, and normally at Withdean I carry him up the steps in F block so we can sit in the rain like proper fans! This was always going to be his last year as he is getting bigger, and my back isn't great. Before Xmas he fell and broke a couple of vertebrae in the base of his spine, so carrying him up steps whilst he is healing was not an option for 8 weeks. The club were really good, and have swapped our tickets for disabled section for December and January. I can confirm that the view is shit.

As for the Amex, was really disappointed with the prospective disabled seating, but it too is now a done deal. It too is basically all in the corners. The 2 northstand corners are pitchside, as per Withdean. Being pitchside, we would probably still get wet when it rains. Having done that for 12 years, was never going to sit there. The other southstand corners are half way up, but is basically a single walkway connecting the away fans to the east and west. No fans behind or in front, and therefore reduced atmos, and still not a good position in the stadium.

When you watch games in stadia that are not full, the areas that arn't full are the corners and pitchside. The reason is because they are the worst seats. Why we have done this at Falmer is so disappointing considering the efforts and brilliant work done by AITC. The broadfield stadium is better . With help from family and my impending redundancy payout, my son and I have decided to go 1901 disabled.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
By the way, there are 200 disabled spaces at Falmer ... Apparently Old Trafford only has 120 ...

This is excellent news. I have taken my godson in his wheelchair to withdean on 1 occasion and my grandad has been with a carer in his chair to and I can confirm it is the worst place to sit- even worse than the away end (I suspect having never been in there). The pitch looks like it is at a really weird angle and everything is out of perspective so although you obviously have a really good view of the goal at that end, you can't see what's happening at the other, and if you can it is quite easy to think the ball has missed or gone in when the opposite is true-so if the wheelchair supporters and helpers ever seem to react strangely thats why!

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
normally at Withdean I carry him up the steps in F block so we can sit in the rain like proper fans!

This is what I would love to do but unfortunatly I am only small and I can't carry him from the car park and I wouldn't want to leave his chair at the bottom of the stand-I'm guessing the club wouldn't allow it anyway.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
This is excellent news. I have taken my godson in his wheelchair to withdean on 1 occasion and my grandad has been with a carer in his chair to and I can confirm it is the worst place to sit- even worse than the away end (I suspect having never been in there). The pitch looks like it is at a really weird angle and everything is out of perspective so although you obviously have a really good view of the goal at that end, you can't see what's happening at the other, and if you can it is quite easy to think the ball has missed or gone in when the opposite is true-so if the wheelchair supporters and helpers ever seem to react strangely thats why!

It's not good news I'm afraid and I can only guess you were writing this whilst Lindfield by the sea was posting his. All120 seats at old Trafford are in the stands (non corporate) too and therefore give a far better matchday experience to disabled fans than falmer does. Unless you can afford the 1901 club. All other disabled seats for home fans are basically as per withdean pitch side. Or in solitary confinement basically between stands in the southern corners. Ironically the best disabled seats are in the away stand where wheel chairs slot into the ordinary seating areas similar to old trafford, wembley, mk dons and crawley even! We've not looked after our own whatsoever and it's most bemusing given the awards we've won as a club in this area. Shameful and I hate to criticise but we've really let our disabled fans down at falmer and given them the worst seats in the house.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think the club have f***ed this up to be honest. I am pretty sure that at various early presentations they talked about several raised viewing areas for disabled supporters. I wonder if they have changed their mind and gone for money instead.

Also I believe the disabled supporter is seeing the biggest price increase of any season ticket group, clearly not right. Surely for 200-300 they could have more heavily subsidised these.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
My son is disabled with Muscular Dystrophy, and normally at Withdean I carry him up the steps in F block so we can sit in the rain like proper fans! This was always going to be his last year as he is getting bigger, and my back isn't great. Before Xmas he fell and broke a couple of vertebrae in the base of his spine, so carrying him up steps whilst he is healing was not an option for 8 weeks. The club were really good, and have swapped our tickets for disabled section for December and January. I can confirm that the view is shit.

As for the Amex, was really disappointed with the prospective disabled seating, but it too is now a done deal. It too is basically all in the corners. The 2 northstand corners are pitchside, as per Withdean. Being pitchside, we would probably still get wet when it rains. Having done that for 12 years, was never going to sit there. The other southstand corners are half way up, but is basically a single walkway connecting the away fans to the east and west. No fans behind or in front, and therefore reduced atmos, and still not a good position in the stadium.

When you watch games in stadia that are not full, the areas that arn't full are the corners and pitchside. The reason is because they are the worst seats. Why we have done this at Falmer is so disappointing considering the efforts and brilliant work done by AITC. The broadfield stadium is better . With help from family and my impending redundancy payout, my son and I have decided to go 1901 disabled.

Saw something yesterday during the Hibs - sheltic game which caught my eye..In Hibs new stand they had a section for fans (sorry won't use the term disabled) towards the away end which was elevated, something my 15 year old son picked up on straight away. As a Rangers fan, Hibs and your board I salute you, in this instance I believe you have led the way

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have something of an interest in this if only because my wife is disabled. However I have only ever taken her to 1 match (her choice not to go again thankfully as she doesn't enjoy or understand the game and asks questions incessantly). Very few grounds adequately cater for disabilities but given our proud boasts about community engagement I am staggered that so little thought has been given to providing a quality environment for either our fans or our visitors. It is frankly shameful.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Jimbo, Believe me it's not that uncommon now, almost the norm in all new stadia especially. With the exception of falmer which is why it's so hugely disappointing. Could and should have done much much better.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
My brother is in a wheelchair and as a fellow Albion supporter we have been known to frequent the truly appalling facilities at Withdean. We had discussed a season ticket at Falmer as we were naturally expecting better faclilities but also to be treated the same as all other fans i.e offered a seat with a good view, dry and with atmosphere but it's not to be which is a huge let down by the club which I am really surprised about. Might not achieve much but will consider contacting the club to see why they have made the choices they have.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I have something of an interest in this if only because my wife is disabled. However I have only ever taken her to 1 match (her choice not to go again thankfully as she doesn't enjoy or understand the game and asks questions incessantly). Very few grounds adequately cater for disabilities but given our proud boasts about community engagement I am staggered that so little thought has been given to providing a quality environment for either our fans or our visitors. It is frankly shameful.
I'm afraid it's hard to argue against your final sentence.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Agreed. I wish I hadn't started this thread now as it has depressed me. Is it too late to lobby the club for a re-think of where disabled fans can see the game? Perhaps even them taking a look at changing part of the East Stand at the front so there could be ramps for even a slight elevation and the chance for disabled fans to savour the atmosphere amongst fellow Albion fans?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here